Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Corn Plant

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brianrmcdermott
Manassas, VA

October 7, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9680273

What type of corn plant is this, and how often will it bloom. It started sprouting around September 15, 2013. It grew about 2 inches per day for about 2 weeks. The large pod took a few days to open, and inside were 25 smaller pods. Now, they are blooming about 3 or 4 little pods per day, with about 3 days between groups of blooming. This is an amazing plant. I filmed one pod opening, you can almost see it moving. It actually takes only a few hours to go from the pod to a full bloom. Here are a few shots.

Thumbnail by brianrmcdermott   Thumbnail by brianrmcdermott   Thumbnail by brianrmcdermott   Thumbnail by brianrmcdermott   Thumbnail by brianrmcdermott
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

October 7, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9680287

Crinum of Amaryllidaceae

StillPlaysWDirt

StillPlaysWDirt
(Becky), Lipan, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2013
9:34 AM

Post #9680309

Yes maybe Crinum augustum:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90355/#b
brianrmcdermott
Manassas, VA

October 15, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9686422

Good day, my Crinum Amabile has finally stopped blooming. Now what? All the beautiful flowers are a-wilting. Should I cut them off, or does it do something else if left attached. OR, should I cut off the main branch that supported the bloom, and if so, how close to the bulb?

Brian
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9686782

If it is anything like my NOID Crinum (the one I keep forgetting to post on here, LOL) the whole flower stem will just wither away and dry up. You can then just pick it from the plant as you would do for any dead leaf.

Ciao, KK.

PS. That was a beautiful flower!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America