Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Growing Sprouts and/or Micro Greens

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lbarden547
Kingsville, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9684460

Do any of y'all grow your own sprouts and/or micro greens? I'm not sure this is the right forum for this, if it's not, please inform me!

I grew Mung bean sprouts and Fenugreek sprouts a few times many years ago. A friend gave me the seeds.
But lately I have been thinking about trying a variety. I have no idea where to get the seeds. True, there are a number of suppliers on the 'net, but how do I know which are reliable and trustworthy?
So I'm asking these questions:
Where do you get your seed for sprouts and micro greens?

What are your favorites? I recently found Arugula and Sunflower micro greens in the store, so-o-o-ooo good! I loved them! First time I'd ever seen either, but the store is 50 mi away, not somewhere I get to shop very often.
The 2 stores here used to occasionally have sprouts available. Usually just Alfalfa, sometimes combinations of Alfalfa with either Radish, Clover or Mustard. Haven't seen them in a very long time, so asked about them. One place said they had to stop carrying them because of E. Coli. The other place just admitted outright that they didn't sell well enough for them to make a profit.

So, do you know of a good source for a variety of sprouting and micro green seeds?

Oh, and what is your favorite way to use them?
I like them in green salads and on sandwiches in place of lettuce. Mung bean sprouts I've only used cooked, in Oriental type dishes.

Thanks!

This message was edited Oct 12, 2013 8:32 PM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9684476

Here is a link to a good place- I ordered the kit and grew 1 crop- I guess I did something wrong, and the molded- but I have all the seed mixes and stuff to do more- just haven't taken time to start them again.
http://www.growingmicrogreens.com/

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9684487

I haven't ordered from them in a long time, but I used to be fond of Sprout People. Then I got bored of sprouts.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 12, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9684507

I sprout Red clover. I get them from Mumms.

Forgot to add that I use an "easy Sprout".

This message was edited Oct 12, 2013 7:32 PM

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9685030

I've done a lot of sprouting over the years. Here is the Sprout People site:

http://www.sproutpeople.com/
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9686449

I typically buy seeds for sprouting from someplace like a natural food store. Any seed that is sold for food consumption can usually be sprouted. For example wheat seed that is being sold to be ground into flour can also be sprouted.

Your set up doesn't have to be very fancy at all. I've made mung bean sprouts by pouring a layer of seed into a cottage cheese container. Fill the container half ffull of water and let them soak overnight. The next day drain and rinse. Twice a day cover the seeds/ sprouts with water and pour off. I use a lid just cracked to keep the beans in. I DON'T keep the lid on the growing sprouts.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9686463

I agree, sprouting is very easy. Just remembering to rinse the sprouts and drain the very, very well to prevent mold is probably the only caveat I can think of.

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9686921

I prefer microgreens to sprouts-

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America