Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Dividing New Guinea Imp

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9685614

I have several varigated new guineas that I would like to overwinter. They are quite large. I would like to cut them in half and repot. Could I just cut them in half? I have started from cuttings, however never tried the halving.

I appreciate any advice, thanks.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 14, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9685832

These are one of the easiest plants to propagate from cuttings, the best way I know is the use clean knife, I like a craft knife as it is razor sharp and has a retreating / withdrawing blade, but
you need to use with care due to the sharpness of blade, must wipe blade after use or you can spread bacteria from plant to plant.
Anyway, cut stems just under a leaf axle, cut clean and have no ragged edges, recut if need be, remove the lower leaves and just stick these cuttings in clear jar or glass of fresh water, these normally show roots after a couple of weeks, IF the water turns green, remove the cuttings, gently rinse under cool running water and replace into fresh water in glass. once you feel the roots are large enough to separate the cuttings, pot up into POTTING compost specially for cuttings or seed growing. This compost from garden store has been sterilised and is more free draining than ordinary compost.
The plants can be potted up into larger pots come year end depending where you keep them over winter, IF indoors, keep the compost JUST DAMP in no more, you only want to keep the plants alive in no more. If you have more room, keep the plants well ventilated and in GOOD LIGHT, not direct sunshine or the plants will wilt and die.
Come spring when the plants have made more good roots, re-pot into better soil and either use larger pots or grow where you know they will thrive.

Hope this helps you out and you have much success.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9686350

Do you mean half of the height, or a division through the middle of the crown? They are single-stem plants, though you might have a closely packed clump.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9686881

I would do both. Take enough cuttings that you will have pruned the plants to half their current size. Then, when the new growth starts you can further cut back if needed. In the mean time, if the heavily pruned plants do not make it you will have plenty of cuttings coming on for the spring.
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9688720

I mean a division through the center of the plant, turning 1 plant into 2. I have seen postings on the web that this will work. I have taken cuttings and once they get going I will try to divide the plants from which I took the cuttings.
Thanks all.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9691650

I do not think that will work unless the original plant was really 2 or more in one pot.

ONE impatiens does not really grow into several with a dividable stem and root. While it does not really have a trunk like a tree, it does grow with one main stem from the roots, which are fine, hairy, diffuse. Not a mass that can be divided. That main stem may almost immediately branch, but the branches do not have roots, so any 'division' is really taking cuttings and rooting them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America