Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: another species of shield-backed katydid?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spoonlegs
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9690480

Different coloration than last one (tentatively Neduba steindachneri) found in same vicinity last month. Haven't found any photos that come close to this coloration. Similar song, but slower (perhaps due to lower temperature, rather than due to species?), usually 13 rasps in a row, like running fingernail along teeth of a plastic comb. I think he's gorgeous. :>)

Thumbnail by spoonlegs   Thumbnail by spoonlegs
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

October 20, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9690620

Definitely appears to be Neduba; possibly (and I stress the possibly) Neduba sierranus - confirmed images of males (as yours is) of this species appear few and far between. Try listening to recordings of Neduba steindachneri at http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/walker/buzz/140a.htm and Neduba sierranus at http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/walker/buzz/150a.htm to see if that helps.
spoonlegs
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9693571

Thanks for the audio links. They are much better quality than what I've been able to record.

The N. sierranus recording on the ufl.edu site sounds close to my first creamy-colored "chickadee" katydid; I haven't heard anything here yet that's as harsh as their N. steindachneri recording.

Here's a link to my recordings, in case they're any help: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz7yDUlb-UrhcXNUTS01S0ZiWVU/edit?usp=sharing

The N. convexa photo on the ufl.edu site is mottled grey with mottled reddish shield, like my second katydid. The photo of Aglaothorax diminutiva also has similar coloration. But on bug-guide.net, N. convexa pictures are creamy with dark markings. Is coloration not as indicative of species in Neduba as some subtle morphological characters?

Also, I'm wondering if the blurry photos I initially took of my "chickadee cricket" are a third species, as it seems to have a central dark stripe that the clear pictures lack any hint of.
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

October 24, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9693610

Just be aware that individual specimens within any given species may vary considerably in color pattern, and that microscopic examination of certain body parts often is necessary to make a species determination. I suggest that you contact the entomology department at Oregon State University for their opinion - http://www.science.oregonstate.edu/bpp/insect_clinic/index.htm
spoonlegs
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9694707

Thanks!
spoonlegs
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9701712

OSU entomology was able to get them IDed down to Tettagoniinae, and no farther. I'll try posting on bugguide.net.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America