AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2013
12:56 AM

Post #9690882

Wondering if anyone was into anything new here , Last year Liatris wintersow grew for me , (an easy one)
Milk cartons tend to break apart on me , so freezer bags I try .
This year I will try many more . I will post some pic's in a while .
after the sets are in place, and then as spring approaches...
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 21, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9690952

I have not begun any winter sowing here yet, but just gathering seeds.
Some will be WS eventually.
This week is bulb planting!
Caroline

I do have peony seeds in moist vermiculite on top of the 'frig.
And in the 'frig there are Martagon lily seeds in moist vermiculite.
jvw
Clinton Township, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9693058

I have not really thought about winter sowing for the coming winter. I WAY over did it last year with over 150 jugs. Stressed me out all summer trying to plant or give away babies. Plus I have no room left for new plants now!

I am sure I will lose some existing plants. But it will be too late to winter sow by the time I know what I lost.

Still, in the dead of winter I will get itching for gardening and I know I will end up doing at least a few jugs!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9702192

jvw I hear ya on way over doing it. The first year I did WS, I had 130 jugs, and all spring, into the summer trying to get them all transplanted was hard on the nerves...LOL

Now that I'm in FL I can grow year round and it is much more enjoyable.

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2013
7:34 PM

Post #9705672

Starting tomorrow
Milkweed Incarnata
Iroweed Vernonia Altissma

Cans and bags this time; More later

Thumbnail by juhur7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9705687

So how is the weather in Anderson, has it gotten cold already?

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9705690

59 TODAY 48 tomorrow , after that 20's ,30's

Today was nice , after tomorrow , gone until spring . cold ,cold, cold ,

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 9, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9705706

I am preparing my iris seeds for winter sowing. I will limit how many seeds since I had so many iris seedlings to find room for this past summer.

Any seeds can be sown in the same way as iris. I can't see using jugs. Too hard to get the seedling out.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2013 9:51 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 9, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9705707

Darn, I hit the wrong button.
Below shows what I use for iris seeds since they need stratification. They will be in the bins all winter on the north side of my house. When temp reache 50 to 70 degrees, they will begin to sprout.

These were done fall of 2012 and sprouted early April.The bins are covered all winter to prevent them drying out.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9705717

blomma:: I must have cheap material or something but I like your storage container use..
With mine , there is no seedling removing when it is right or goes well Like soil cubes with an open bottom , sitting in cat litter pans or dish pans , When the seedlings root properly and I get the first one out , Spatula under the cans from then on , and the soil from the can cube and seedling goes into the planting hole .. only tried this with a few so far .. works for me when it does ,,

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9705721

Good idea! :-)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9709100

I am also going to test a few of these . five minute soda bottle pots .

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2013
4:25 PM

Post #9709132

Yes 8 ounce water bottles too ,,lol another starter pot with lid

All depends on how many and what kind of seeds your doing

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7         

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2013
10:45 AM

Post #9709620

I think the bottles make a great start pot, and would work for the seeds. It is a lot less work at the start up than milk jugs. Just that you can't plant as many, which I don't see as a problem, since most always over plant...LOL

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9709636

So far nothing planted in my 5 minute pots ,
red swamp , incarnata milkweed , white campanula ;heart leaved , in a while , ironweed (altissima) , scabiosa knautia arvensis
These are planted in my cans and baggies ,
eastern blazing star , baptisia alba I might get to today .. little fun for gloomy days

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9710316

Oh sounds like fun. I love planting seeds. even better when they sprout.

we are gloomy here as well, had some nice rain last night but today where oh where is the sunshine...LOL we still have today with off and on showers then it is suppose to clear up and the sunshine return.

Jan

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9710330

One question,

How do you get the seedlings out of bottles with roots intact to replant? Not all seeds in a container will sprout at the same time so cutting container isn't good.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2013
11:16 AM

Post #9710339

I use coil as it will fall away from the roots with no damage.

If you use seed starter you can always take and place in a container of water, once the mix is wet it will make it easier to loosen the roots from the mix so you can plant or repot.

You can also use this method, to loosen roots from container plants that you have purchased from the store.

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9710340

They all have removable tops , (similar to the jugs) the water bottles are easier to get them out of (same as any pot)
The shape of the larger one makes that a little tricky , but not difficult if your patient .

A lot of seedling sprouts , is the plastic spoon for loosening and lifting (i don't like that )
I would rather shake them apart to pot up . either is a little rough though ,

One in the small container , is plug ,, to the next larger pot or seedling bed ..

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9710640

Jan, I don't like to remove the soil from the roots since it takes longer for the seedling to become established. I use an old pickle fork to lift seedling out with as much soil as possible.

1] Iris seedlings just sprouting.
2] Size of the roots on a 1-month old seedling.
3] These are the seedlings that were in the plastic bin all winter. Transplanted May 30, 2012
4] The same seedlings, now blooming size, June 2013---much to my surprise.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2013 8:41 PM

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2013
8:31 PM

Post #9710678

blomma

I've always work this way on mine and have never lost one plant... I would say it must be the luck of the Irish but I'm not Irish... just Scottish background.

thanks for posting about your iris. What time of the year do you plant your iris seeds? I know I'm in a much warmer zone than you, but I just planted some a week ago and just wondering how long it takes before they break soil? I can't remember the name of mine as they are from seeds that were from my yard up north. They are like yours I believe yours are bearded iris, gosh my brain has stopped working...LOL

again thanks for the pics of yours, just incredible.

Jan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9710688

The more I practice the fewer plants I lose , Lot of technique here , I suppose that is true with all though .
Still my old cans and bags seems to be my most successful , what I am use to and all that ..

blomma ; always enjoy the pics . A few of my iris tried to make seeds this year and failed ,, I will keep the info and remember for the next few seasons , it all helps ..
Still with use of space for larger seedlings your container ideas and uses are much better , unless I get 100% germination mine would require a huge amount of space , to that available ..

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9710828

I did the 8oz water bottles one year, found they dried out pretty quickly -- but then again, mine did get afternoon sun.

for the 2Ltr bottles... [Karen] kqrn-something, used to have images as a tutorial on how she did hers. They were taller than yours, and have side air vents ... it was pretty neat how she did them. I do maybe 2 or 3 a season.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 17, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9711001

Jan I am in the process of getting the seeds ready this month. I wait until the weather turns cold---November. For lack of space, due to the success last year, I can't do as many as usual until I cull/sell . I already soaked and refridged my daylily seeds also limited in numbers. I use the Deno method on those.

ju Thanks, glad you are enjoying my photos. Have you tried pollinating/crossing your own irises?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9711059

Years ago , the only cross I got , was a red . I don;t have that anymore ,..
Only a few of my own ,for now ..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9735153

Were soil cubes from whatever ;
#1 Under desert cups
#2 full of earth
#3 starting out empty
#4 Under water bottles ) choice of everything. lol
All done inside , then outside quick time ,Later we might be annual poppies ...

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

December 27, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9735449

Haven't started Winter Sowing this year yet but when i do I know myself, I will crowd too many seeds in one milk carton...they germinate in one big lump! ! lose plants that way when trying to separate them. Any hints?
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9735461

AnnFran, I like the toilet tissue roll idea just posted by Juhur. Cut them in 1/2, 1/3 as Juhur did or leave them whole and line the bottom of milk jugs and/or containers that Blomma uses. I bet it's an ideal solution for fishing indiividual seedlings out!

Thanks for the ideas Juhur.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9735462

Not from me AnnFran Those above are why , No transplanting later . I still lose a few but nothing like separating little plants , (i lose too many, also)

Here they are in the garden outdoors . They sprout grow in place where they are , all done ..

Mipii Happy to share . Hope it works for some of you here . I like the roll around the soil cube as it holds the cover on, Later though I don't like having to clean the paper from near the plant as it does break down rather slowly , Good with the bad

This message was edited Dec 27, 2013 10:36 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2013
6:39 PM

Post #9735466

AnnFran

When I did WS I always put way more in, and because I used coir as the soil, (and you can do this even if you use seed starter soil) I would life the whole thing out of the milk carton and let sit in water, this would loosen the soil around the delicate roots. I never lost any plants, unless I tried this when the seedlings were really small. I've even had the plants growing out the top of the milk jug (this happened due to have too many milk jugs that were WSing...LOL

Anyway, give it a try, gently pull them apart with your hands.

Jan

edited for typo thanks Robin

This message was edited Dec 27, 2013 10:02 PM
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9735478

Coir is supposed to more antifungal, can anybody attest to that?

This message was edited Jan 6, 2014 11:59 AM

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2014
8:04 AM

Post #9741540

Good hints here. I usually try not to put too many in each milk jug so that I can just dig out a divot in the ground and slip the whole contents of the jug into it. Works pretty well for me.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2014
3:52 PM

Post #9741905

I've done that as well RosesRRed

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2014
4:03 PM

Post #9741912

At the moment mine are all under a ft , or more of snow

Thumbnail by juhur7

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2014
7:00 PM

Post #9742054

Ju, With all that snow it looks like my yard

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2014
7:06 PM

Post #9742059

we look like that too. We had 2 storms in 5 days. think we have at least 17" on the ground. Maybe more... I literally lost count while shoveling.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2014
7:49 PM

Post #9742112

The snow is actually a good insulation for the gardens. I don't think it harms the seeds at all. I remember thinking that all was lost one year when snow and a frost came down over my early spring winter sown seedlings. They weren't bothered at all!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2014
8:36 PM

Post #9742133

Hope all of you with that crazy white stuff have power and are warm with plenty of food in the house.

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2014
9:47 PM

Post #9742157

Thanks Jan...we do. I'ts -15 with 2 feet of snow and the wind chill isn't helping at all...I'm good as long as I can pour myself a nice hot coffee.

Stay warm in FL, it's colder there than what you guys usually get.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2014
6:01 AM

Post #9742275

R R R ... yanno, just before we got that first storm on New Years Eve... i was commenting how we need snow to protect our plants. We had a warm up the weekend before Christmas and it melted the majority of snow -- then the cold came... so i was glad when we did get some, and this should stick around a while... but the brutal cold I can do without.

Terese

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2014
6:11 AM

Post #9742287

All our protective snow is gone from a one day rain and warm up. Now we're in a deep freeze with no protection for the plants. Anyone ever use "Wilt Pruf" successfully. I'm wondering if it's too late now.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2014
6:41 AM

Post #9742314

I agree I am not use to it being so cold .. Snow is something planned for , it is winter , right ?

Have not used Wilt Pruf since the 1970's , I can't remember anything about it ,,,

Blomma ; Us having Tea at our garden table will have to wait ,, until spring ?

Plants and seeds that are planted are use to this also , no problem ...
I still want to be done with wintersow and for spring to return ...lol

This message was edited Jan 7, 2014 10:42 AM
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 7, 2014
6:49 AM

Post #9742326

If I remember correctly, the Wilt Pruf directions (at one time) indicated two applications - one in early winter and then another later on (like maybe January?). As long as the bottle of stuff doesn't freeze while you're trying to spray.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2014
7:56 AM

Post #9742374

I guess I'll try to put it down now, even though I missed the first application.

Thanks, Cindy.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 7, 2014
2:04 PM

Post #9742677

I guess some would be better than none, especially with the cold we're experiencing. I haven't used Wilt Pruf for several years (shame on me). But I can tell how cold it is by how much my rhodie leaves curl up and they've been pretty tightly curled the last few days.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2014
4:17 AM

Post #9743065

Cindy -- I too noticed that about the leaves. they are very tightly curled.

Hoping to get that big bag of MG today so hopefully I can get some WSing done... my 'window' is closing... my time management this month has not been very good. I leave 10 days from today, and I probably have 6 days committed for something.

Have a bunch of Penstemons I want to get done.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2014
1:45 PM

Post #9745472

Terese, isn't that the norm for when we want to WS or planting that there are always so many things to do and so little time.

I'm just glad this latest cold is gone and hopefully doesn't return, this latest cold had me down with a sinus infection that activated my Asthma back up again. But I headed to the Dr in order to get the Asthma in check, the last episode in October had me down for 6 weeks... My asthma is directly linked to my sinus polyp disease, so when the temps drop really fast it sets off the infection which then get the asthma going... such a cycle...

Oh I'm on the mends and enjoying a return of our warmer weather, just wish all yall up north could have some as well.

Jan

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2014
8:06 AM

Post #9745953

looks like we will be above freezing again until early Tuesday morning... YAY, more melt off. then it gets cold again.

But I'm going to do my best to get things sown today. I only have 14 seeds, so that's not too bad, and all my containers are prepped.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2014
8:41 AM

Post #9745985

juhur7 wrote: Not from me AnnFran Those above are why , No transplanting later . I still lose a few but nothing like separating little plants , (i lose too many, also)

Here they are in the garden outdoors . They sprout grow in place where they are , all done ..

Mipii Happy to share . Hope it works for some of you here . I like the roll around the soil cube as it holds the cover on, Later though I don't like having to clean the paper from near the plant as it does break down rather slowly , Good with the bad

This message was edited Dec 27, 2013 10:36 PM

Do you mean that you planted these pictured small plastic bottles in fall? It looks like a great idea. Is it too late to do anything like this now? I was going to do vinegar bottles in December, but my "time management has been difficult all year, and I keep not getting all my stuff done due to family issues. I still will do some vinegar bottles because it's what I know how to do =past 2 years [ I'm new at this] But I'd like to try this WS in place, because I don't have large swaths of bed to put clumps of stuff into.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2014
12:04 PM

Post #9746087

martyR ; Some plants it is still too early others to late . I know poppies and a few plants , are most often Wintersown in Feb -March.
My annual poppies and Nigelia , unless there planted really early (wintersown ) I have trouble getting those to grow .. Natural stratification ,, takes practice , not that it is difficult , has more to do with zone what you can manipulate ,where you are , all that ..

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2014
12:20 PM

Post #9746102

martyR...Instead of using bottles, use plastic shoe boxes (cheap from Wal-Mart) filled with moist potting soil. Comes with cover. Much easier to remove the seedlings. Punch (melt) holes for drainage with a hot nail. Soil will remain moist all winter when covered and placed in bin to protect agains animals. Or place in unheated shed or garage.

1] Seed of perennials winter 2010 North side of my house. (before I got addicted to doing iris seeds) holds several individual seedling flats.
2] Arabis & Aubrieta in container that was placed in bin above.
3] Aubrieta planted in 6-pack after sprouting.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma      

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2014
12:28 PM

Post #9746104

juhur7 wrote: martyR ; Some plants it is still too early others to late . I know poppies and a few plants , are most often Wintersown in Feb -March.
My annual poppies and Nigelia , unless there planted really early (wintersown ) I have trouble getting those to grow .. Natural stratification ,, takes practice , not that it is difficult , has more to do with zone what you can manipulate ,where you are , all that ..

WS should be done when there is still winter and temperature flunctuates. That is what is called stratification (moist with cold). Seeds will sprout when the temperature is right for the seeds you planted. It is natures way to assure survival of seedlings.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2014
12:34 PM

Post #9746107

blomma; I'm agreeing with you and that ,if your planting a multitudes,
I am not doing more than a few dozen usually ,
All to ones own idea of what works best and is easiest ..

If I don't have to transplant , from container to garden and I know what I am planting will grow
I go the easiest way I can , lol lazy gardening ,, or quick ... that kind of thing with me .

Crosspost ; reply yes , Most seeds 60 to 90 days of stratification , the others that can take 6 months or more , are difficult ,
Feb - March gives that 60 -90 days of stratification here ..

This message was edited Jan 12, 2014 4:38 PM
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2014
3:49 PM

Post #9746208

Thank you both so much. I will try some both ways I think. If I am reading you both right I can plant multiples and a variety of small plantings,in covered containers; these will need to be transplanted. It sounds like if I want to winter sow in place I need to start earlier or hope for enough thaw to be able to dig the seeds in during February, then cover them with a small plastic bottle/hat. One question juhur7 when do you take off the bottle caps?

I think I will save the vinegar bottles by and large for my cool weather vegetables, to get an early start and be able to keep them until it's Ok to transplant as the last 2 years have been unpredictable for early spring weather - too warm one year and too wet the next. I have a cold frame that I have spinach and kale seedlings in right now - it is dormant waiting for longer days of sun to start growing again. I did this quite successfully last winter. Last year we went crazy trying to cover and uncover it, but luckily I learned that it's OK not to do that and this year we have luckily had snow on the bright sunny days.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2014
4:13 PM

Post #9746220

With cold weather plants , like Papaver (poppies) I will take the caps off anytime it is above or about freezing ( last time a few years ago I remember taking the caps off of those at about 28 degrees , I have had a few in past years that pushed the cover off , just like the cover was natural ground cover or wild grass mulch,at about 20 degrees , Tough strong plant when their well
Warmer loving plants , I will leave them on for a while , just so they don't cook ..
Sometimes herbs and wild plants will push the entire cover off , if the leaves are not burned doing that , I lift the covers and let them grow ,,

I fail a lot at gardening , but have interesting to great success from time to time also ..
Once your use to growing a plant and a few seeds , it gets a lot easier ..
Kind of the; "know your plant" ,, Takes me a while sometimes to do that ..

This message was edited Jan 12, 2014 8:15 PM
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2014
5:15 PM

Post #9746267

You are right, Ju. It is a matter of trial and error. Once you get the idea of the best way for a certain seed, that will be the success. Sometimes the weather does not cooperate, but that is beyond our control.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2014
7:50 AM

Post #9748369

Juhur 7, and Blomma , and all: I have acquired a small plastic bottle - we don't normally buy them; and am interested in trying the small cloche. I went out to check the cold frame yesterday, as it got warmer. Everything looks good and also checked some spots in a bed that I lost plantings last year. It has a good leaf mulch layer and was still not frozen - able to sink stick in an inch or two. I would like to try a few seeds. Two questions:

1. Do you cut off the bottoms of the bottles?

2. These are the perennial seeds that I know I will winter sow one way or the other - which would be the best candidate to use?

- Poppy/ Pizzacato Mix -
- columbine/ Origami mix -
- holly hock/ Mystic Merlin -
- delphinium/ Magic fountains -[The delphinium was one I lost last year, and would be my choice]
- Echinachia/ White Swan

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2014
8:17 AM

Post #9748392

delphinium I lost mine last year also . They don't like cold here or bugs , either is my difficulty (i'm learning )
Columbine I don't know , ( seeds) i did not get to them last year )
Hollyhocks from seed , do not usually appear until late June Or early July.
White Swan I have and have grown from seed , commercial seed , you grow them like annual . blooms first year from seeds also ,, unusual for Echinachea
Poppies on a warm winter will sprout in February here ,Going to be later this year . I do not do well with them so far . but Rheos and somniferum will grow early (sprout)
Those above and I will do another pic here) are the bottle with the top cut ,at the bottom of the label paper on the bottle #3 pic , outside covers , I set the seeds in the earth outside and cover with the top of the bottle , as said before .
If you want to do one like a little greenhouse pot , you can leave or cut the bottom of the bottle off , If I use those (the bottom of the bottles ) rarely will I use the bottom because I am trying to transplant less ..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2014
8:30 AM

Post #9748412

First pic empty cubes (or plugs)
second pic , cubes filled with earth .
third pic bottles over cubes with seeds planted in plugs , Imagine number three sitting on the earth and covered mostly with mulch , instead of sitting on the tray ...
I'm planting them , no cold frame , no transplanting , just taking my chances , because the more I "play" with a plant , The more of them I lose ...
particularly seedlings ..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2014
8:56 AM

Post #9748441

I'm pic happy
THE water bottle Step 1,2,3, My waste container collection ..
With any plant , that attains a large seedling size , I do not like using these ,for seedlings to transplant because the seedlings have Root Room trouble .
cubes above are better ,, These are great seed sprouters though ..

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2014
7:49 PM

Post #9748831

martyR ~ I sowed HH in August, and they grew quickly. I have transplanted half of them into their spaces in the perennial bed. The other half are still growing in the bed. When I sowed them I put them in a (prepared bed) "Square Foot Garden" with a closely woven flat over them until they germinated, which was fairly quickly...same with foxglove.

The pansies were a lot slower. I just spaced them apart today.

I cannot tell you about the others that you mentioned.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2014
11:19 AM

Post #9764418

Finally got some winter sowing started: I missed my earlier opportunity - [see above Jan 15 post] to put some in place, when we had a few warm days. So decided to go with what I know - jugs. But I did use the idea juhur7 describes above and cut some TP tubes. I found I could fit 8 into the vinegar bottles I use. Today I planted #1 jug of violas, and #2 jug with pansies, then used the paper tubes in #3 with calendula, and #4 is tubes various amounts of fill-ins for beds - Columbine, Delphinium, Coneflower, and Balloon Flower, I labeled them with a number which I used a small plastic marker and paint to label, and then I have a list in my journal. Last year it was hard to figure out what was what ! LOL.

Still hope to process more, but it's a start

Thumbnail by martyR   Thumbnail by martyR         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2014
11:40 AM

Post #9764430

Looks ahead of me , A jug of leeks .. all I got done day before yesterday . There are two jugs now , old way because , when they sprout , their going to be. eaten , not planted or transplanted

Ain't digging all this snow fun (I suppose the pun is it is really Snow Fun At All !!!:-)

Thumbnail by juhur7

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 10, 2014
9:58 AM

Post #9766451

Heehee giggle!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2014
11:50 AM

Post #9773072

My Incarnata , seeds are sprouting , in the can and baggie ,,, Winter finally let me look today .
Still planting poppies , I want a whole field of them ,, lol The most I can have is a yard though..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America