-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9691159

I just ordered 50 pds of 36% reg. koi food from Arthur Aquatics. Has anyone used their food?

It was much more resonably priced than what we have been using Blue Ridge Fish Farms.

The big fish are now in the larger pond and smaller ones in old smaller pond. This morning it looked like they were spawning or makeing fish love. Guess they like their new home. Sold and gave away all unwanted fish to make room. What a job moving everyone around. Glad thats over with. If I hadn't bought a fish sock it would have been very difficult to move large ones.

I am going to try out my Pondovac 4 vacuum. Son tried it some Fri. and he said for the price he thought it was inferior but it did vacuum up all the sand very well. Of course the leaves did clog it up but you can't have everything. It did take string algae off rock waterfall which I thought was good. It's better than draining and pressure washing the whole thing. Fish didn't seem bothered by it a bit. What I kept are all too big to get sucked up in it. Discharge will be wonderful for flower beds. That will be my water change and then I can put meds. back in for injured big one we kept in smaller pond. She is really torn up but still living and swiming around pond. She is 26" and 24 pds. Hard to handle. Other ones we didn't get to measure. Son gave her CPR for almost 2 hrs. and thats how I had the chance to measure and weigh her. I put her in a sling and hung it on my antique fish scale. He got 5 straight sided and I bought 5 butterfly.
One has a zipper so I named her Zip.
Will try to get some pics when I have the time.
Happy ponding. Bonnie

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2013
9:28 AM

Post #9691170

Bonnie,
I'd love to see the new additions! Post pics when you get a chance!
I often get food from Arthur Aquatics. It's very reasonably priced (I get the 50 lb bags) Haven't had an issue with it yet, and I've ordered from them for approx 3 years? He also sells medicated food from time to time.
Is the fish with the wounds eating? If so, you're ahead of the game. She may lose a little weight if he was feeding them cat food, which normally has a higher fat content. Being on healthier food will help them overall. Watch for redness around her open wounds. If they are healing properly, you'll see white skin starting to cover the wound. Scales won't happen for a long time. Salt can help keep the slime coat up and the bad baceria down while she heals, but if you are adding meds to the water check to see which meds can combine with salt before adding it. If she's swimming and fairly active, another good sign. If she stalls in a corner, or you see red streaks in her fins, you have an issue.
I think I have a little bit of antibiotic (topical) left if you need some.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 21, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9691428

I had been ordering food from them for years.

No problem that I can see.

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9691510

Actually her wounds look gray. One flap of skin along side fell off. No she isn't eating but she is swiming around very well. In fish fashion upright. Thought about adding salt but will wait. I changed some water today while vacuuming and then put in Melifix. No hangin in corners. Just keeps swiming slowly around the whole pond. If others get in her way she bops them with her head. I think the reason she isn't eating yet is she has wounds around her mouth from smacking herself head on into rocks when we first put her in there. Thank Heavens she has settled down every since we took her out of isolation tank with meds in it. I have to say I have never seen one hurt this bad. Both sides of her tail are wounded. If she pulls through this it will be a miracle but Jeff thinks she will. We didn't want to move her again so she is with smaller fish in old pond. When she heals she can go with her big buddies. They aren't eating much either. I think diet he had them on must have been all junk. They eat some but it takes them forever.

Mary & Bell thanks for your info. on food. I still have 30 pds. of Blue Ridge koi farms stuff but don't want to run out.

Happy ponding.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9692591

Only have a few pics taken today. Very hard cause tree causes a lot of shadows and sun has to be just right. I like the one where the group looks like it is getting ready to ride a wave which is just a set of bubbles caused by meds. in water for Big Momma.
Tomorrow I am going to borrow a large cow watering trough to put her in alone as she looks terrible and I want to keep medicating her. Haven't given up on her yet.
Tail is much worse than it looks in this picture. Jeff came today and took some better shots to send to fish biologist. Wish us luck!!

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 23, 2013
12:29 AM

Post #9692668

Ohhh Bonnie!! It's like caring a sick child. hope he/she survives it. I wonder if they have any feeling like humans.

Wishing you luck and if prayer helps I can do that too. Seriously.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2013
1:22 AM

Post #9692676

Bonnie - sorry you are having problems - It seems we all do from time to time. What do you think that is on your koi's tail area? It almost looks from the picture that she scraped herself - am I seeing it correctly?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9692798

Bonnie,
Yipes...

The gash close to the base can possibly heal, as long as she stays in clean water. In the past, for wounds like that, I've sprinkled antibiotics on it, then covered it with a slight dusting of denture powder, which seals in in for a while. However, the frayed tail is a totally different issue. That's actually not damage from the move, but damage from poor water quality (probably combined with cat food) Dead tail tissue like that needs to be watched carefully, so it doesn't continue to creep up to the rest of the tail. Once it hits the muscle at the base, it's close to impossible to keep it alive. There are medications specifically for fin rot, but I know she's large and hard to handle. Try to not move her too often, the stress alone can kill her. Most fish vets tell you to add a fish in with an ill one, for some reason they stay more relaxed and heal better to have buddies. (even if they're cheap goldfish)
Let me know what I can do to help.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9694253

Couldn't use water trough as it was galvanized and Charlie said too many chemicals involved in galv. process. Called biologist at Aquatic Eco. All she said was line it.
Went to our new Tractor Supply store and bought a 150 gal. Rubbermaid tank and put her and meds in it. Had 2 window screen covering top holding them down with bricks and she broke screens and almost got out. My dog started barking and alerted me. Now we have plexiglass and plywood on top with cement blocks on them. If she can knock that stuff off I give up.
Her tail really is a mess on both sides. Called a vet that said he worked on fish and he was no help at all. Melafix & Pimafix and low dose salt will have to do the trick.
Carolyn we may be fish wacky but I and my son are praying she makes it. I couldn't afford the amt. of meds in the pond. Cheaper on meds to have her in smaller area plus no rocks to get hurt on. I know one thing there were too many people in the owners pond going after fish and Jeff fell over a cement block in the center bottom and he thinks thats what she got hurt on cause he took her out in a fish sock very gently. I'm so glad I immediately bought one when we got home.
Mary what kind of antibiotics did you sprinkle on it? We have plenty of denture powder cause Charlie has false teeth he uses it on. On one site I found a liquid bandage made for fish but by the time I got it here would probably be too late. The Melefix says its for fin rot, open sores and many other things so I'm hoping it works.
I poured iodine on one fish once and it cured it. Biggest problem is holding onto her which I can't do alone and treat her as she is really strong. Jeff is off work tomorrow and I am going to tell him to get over here and give me a hand. With pond vac hose 50% water out and then put new in with a gentle spray and meds. I have a pump but I think that would be more upset for her than just putting hose end on top of water and suck it out. That way I don't have to remove top coverings and she shouldn't be able to jump out. Also will add a goldfish for company.
Have to do this early as Charlie has stress test in Mr. Dora at 1:30.
Appreciate your offer of help Mary but really don't know what else you could do. Will keep up this regimen and see how she does.
I was flossing my teeth tonight and had a loose tooth so was going easy I thought and out it flew. Dentist next week. Between humans and fish this has been an expensive month. Oh well thats life. Big Momma will either pull thru or not. At least I can try. Sometimes I feel like Doc. Doolittle. I know you have all been thru it too so you understand. Jeff just called from work. Said fish farm often treats their tanks with malithion. I'm not trying that. No experience with it. Come spring I may take all fish out and clean ponds with PP. Thats supposed to kill any harmful organisms.

Yes Carolyn, they are very deep scrapes. Pic. doesn't show all the loose skin that is hanging. Hopefully now that I have exact measurements for water and meds we will see some progress. I stay optimistic. You are getting ready to close down your ponds and we only just got down to in the 70's today. Felt so good.
Take care all.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2013
12:07 PM

Post #9694716

Oh Bonnie - sounds like you have your hands full. Melafix and Pimafix have always worked well for me.

Is she infected? I know the triple anitbiotic foods have worked well in the past with infections.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9694939

Hi Carolyn,
Don't know if infection has moved inside. Just very bad skin scrapes.
She is not eating anything.
Merry Mary has given me wonderful suggestions but getting the products in time could be tricky. I need to keep this stuff on hand at all times. Learn something new every day. Hope for the best and live with the worst.
Thanks for caring.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9696159

While doing water change today I noticed the bad side of the tail is really looking bad. Damaged part is about 3 inches from tail fin up onto back. I'm not going to post a pic as it is really gross.
I held her tail up just for a minute and poured iodine on her. Put clean water in and all meds including low dose of salt.
Really looks hopeless. Tuesday will be 7 days of quaranteen and meds with her by herself. I did put meds in pond before but doubt it was enough to do any good. Now doses are exact to water amt.
Oberon, looked up salt dosing-3 lbs. salt to 100 gals. of water. Add 1 pd. per day for 3 days. This is from Cecil Ferguson, The Pond Doc.
I've been on some good sites.
AquaMeds.com - Dr. Eric Johnson at koivet.com- PondCrisis.com and I'm sure there are more.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9696187

Oberon, forgot to mention-when you add salt dilute it in water first cause salt crystals will burn their skin if put in all at once in a clump. I also dump it in around edge of ponds and not all in one place.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9696241

Bonnie

have you tried an antibacterial food for your fish? Some medikoi may go along way towards helping her. I would feed longer than the 14 days.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9696643

She is not eating anything. Man that had the fish used to feed them cat food. I was thinking of trying a few pieces of that.
Got the iodine poured on her tail yesterday.
Unless you have all the meds on hand it takes too long to order everything in.
I still have plenty of melafix & pimafix and salt so thats what I've been doing. I'll see if there is any change as tomorrow will be 7 days which treatment was recommended for.
This fish is in the worse shape I have ever seen one in.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9696685

Bonnie

perhaps it is time to contact your vet to see if they can give you an antibiotic that can be injected. I know my vet said if I ever needed some for my fish, he would be happy to provide it. Thankfully, I haven't needed it yet.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9696955

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?111964-Koi-friendly-vets

Here's a list of vets, by state, that treat koi. I'm sure there are more, but it's a start. Bonnie, I see one in Winter Park. It may be worth a call to get some injectible Baytril.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9697612

Carolyn, local vet who says???? he works on fish doesn't have it and did not offer to order some in for me.

Winter Park Vet Hosp. will not dose it out and said I'd have to bring her in. Suggested I find a vet that would order it for me. I'm not moving that fish all that way. She has been thru enough.

I will go on trying with melafix, pimafix & salt. I noticed this morning she is forming a white skin around the edges of her wounds.
Don't know if thats a good sign or bad but she certainly is peppy. Put 3 cherrios in with her this morning. If she doesn't eat them I'm sure her little goldfish buddy will.
Guess I should give up but I can't bring myself to it yet.

Thanks for suggestions.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9697615

One question. Have either of you tried rubbing on a human antiseptic like neosporin or ichthemmol ointment?

PS the pic. above of her tail is the good side. Couldn't get a pic of really bad side.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9697765

Bonnie, yes, I have used neosporin on fish(they have a fish one made by debride) but it usually doesn't stay on too long. That's when I saw someone using the denture powder in a microfine misting to seal it on for an hour or so. Do not use peroxide on anything!

If you see skin forming around the edge, then you're beginning to make progress. Hopefully, it will skin over before any infection can set it. Wounds in a clean water enviroment can eventually heal, I'm more concerned about her tail spines being broken/rotted/exposed. That can lead to internal blood poisoning. Wonder if you can turkey baster her some liquid food with antibiotics in it?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9697817

Bonnie - apparently I lucked out. My vet treats both large animals and small. He is a country vet and I really like him. I got lucky - looking at MM's listing of vets that offer to treat fish - the closest one to me is about 4 hours away.

Good luck with your fish.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9697873

Good point Carolyn! Bonnie, maybe you can find a cow or horse vet in Clermont that understands you can't always take an animal in for an appt! Might be worth it to look locally, even if they need to do a drive by to see that you really are a koi owner. Also check with the Orlando Koi Club people...they may have someone that is fish friendly.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9698420

The vets in Clermont only work on horses. We pay a fortune for a vet for our cows because they are all way out of town. Last time I called one that would come it was $125. just trip charge that was before they worked on one.
I just ordered Tricide-Neo from Aquatic Eco. cause they are the closest and got a price match discount which surprised me. Had to order largest amt. suitable for 5 gals. as I can't dip her in 1 gal. Will dip every day for a week and still use Melafix & Pimafix in tank water. Had a long chat with fish biolg. finally. This stuff has to be used in distilled water. Have to go and clean thoroughly one of my little tubbies that she can fit into. Wish I had a long narrow trough would save some for later use. Oh well this is my last. Our $50. fish is now worth much more and may still die so thats it for me. Will try to get a pic for you 2 tomorrow when I take her out of stock tank. Her mouth is all messed up also.
Boy I dread it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9698543

Bonnie - I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I have been through different illnesses and there was about of fin rot years ago, but I was able to catch that very early. Seems to me they were eating the triple antibiotic food.

Let us know how it goes for you.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9698608

TricideNeo is one of the drugs that you can spray on the wounds from a spray bottle (I mentioned it above, but not by name) If you can anesthetize her to a wet towel, you can spray it on each wound, covered by the denture powder/bio-bandage/deBride ointment. It just keeps in on the wound a bit longer. TriCN can get costly, get the maximim out of each bit!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9698623

Mary are you suggesting I save some of the water the Tricide is in and continue to spray her wounds after the week of dipping?
110 grams makes 5 gals. of water for treatment. I washed out and disinfected 3 different containers and then Charlie went out back and brought up a 30 gal. acquarium I forgot I had. I scrubbed and rinsed that very well however 5 gals doens't go very high up in that but thats what I am going to use. He doesn't think she can break it but I think she can. Anyhow we shall see. I'm going to take her out of her tank in a clean towel and lower her into dip. Sounds easy ha ha ha.

A friend is visiting here from Texas and she is going to help me. She is used to treating horses. She may never come to visit again.
Nothing ventured nothing gained. Tricide shiped today so I should have it tomorrow.
It's supposed to be kept in a cool dark place. The best I can do it get one of my pool umbrellas and put that right over top of acquarium when we are finished. If we make it past the first dip I'll let you know.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 30, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9698628

I had been following this thread and I am sorry you are having those problem Bonnie.
Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9698666

If your friend can't help you, I think I have tomorrow off after 11:00 if you need me.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2013
3:25 AM

Post #9698840

Mary, if you have the time I would really appreciate it. Call me first to make sure dip has arrived please.
394-4883 or cell 352-223-1611
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 31, 2013
3:38 AM

Post #9698842

MM,
What a wonderful friend you are. How far is Bonnie's place from your?

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2013
3:43 AM

Post #9698843

Belle,
Guess I'm not the only one thats up half the night.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 31, 2013
3:49 AM

Post #9698845

Our G-son is ill so i am flying to Alabama in aM. Thank God for texting.
the thread is on prayer request.

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9698965

Bonnie,
It might have to be tomorrow(Friday) I totally forgot about Halloween and my grandbabies.
I'll call first and dig through my meds to see what I have left. Did you by chance get any anesthesia from the place in Apopka?

Belle...I'm about 30-40 minutes from Bonnie, close enough to help, but far enough that I have to have a larger chunk of time to do it. The fresh air around Bonnies large peice of property is very refreshing to this subdivision lady!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9699213

Mary, Had no trouble diping her into Tricide-neo or removing her from tank with fish sock. 15 mins. after I returned her to her stock tank she was dead.

I have 3 pictures of her wounds but will not post them on here as they are really bad.
If you want to see them you will have to send a personal e-mail address.

I buried her on left side of my angel statue. She is no longer hurting.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9699319

Oh Bonnie - I am so sorry. Poor thing isn't suffering anymore, but I don't know if I can say the same of any of the humans.

I would like to see pictures, if you don't mind. I will dmail my email addy to you.

Carolyn
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 31, 2013
6:13 PM

Post #9699354

Bonnie,
I am so sorry.
Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9699365

Oh noOOOO!!! I'm so sorry to hear she's gone! It certainly wasn't because of your lack of effort. Sometimes injuries are just bigger than what we can deal with. I'm so sorry Bonnie!

I'd love to see the pictures too...either post them, or Dmail them to me.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 1, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9699609

Bonnie,
Are you okay! You sure did everything to save him/ her.

Belle

shauna1219

shauna1219
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9699633

Bonnie,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss!! I know you did everything you could to save her.

Shauna
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9700292

Thanks all, I'm a big girl so I can handle it. Not the first time we have lost a fish. It was my son's and he understands.

M Mary, I can't find the pics and I had to go to an e-mail and download them to send to Jeff and then I deleted it all. He described it right. Said it looked like someone had taken a filet knife to her tail. Told me he knew nothing or no one could have saved her and forget it. Frankly I don't want to see those pics again but I know they are on my computer somewhere. If I run across them I'll send them to you.
Man did give him another fish but not as pretty as Big Moma was. I should have just put her to sleep myself before she got to that stage. It will NEVER happen again.
I will try meds for a week but after that if no improvement they will be done away with.
4 weeks is too long and too expensive to struggle with a fish.
Live and learn. I disinfected everything triocide-neo came in contact with. Many health warnings came with it.

We are getting a good rain here today. Looks dreary but a good day to catch up on mending and inside chores.
This weather is staying strangly warm. But beautiful for digging a pond and I know you are happy Mary.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9700480

Bonnie, I sorry to hear about Big Momma. I have been following along and really had hope that you would be able to save her.

Mary, gotta question. I know. So what's new. How long can fish go without eating. I haven't fed my fish for about a month now. We are holding the the mid 40's so I stopped even the wheat germ stuff. But they are out and about in the pond. Don't look particularly hungry. Don't come over to the side of the pond when I walk up. But really. Doesn't it weaken them over months. Sooner or later we will getr snow then ice. Then it will be middle end of March before I can get to them again and even then the weather won't be warm. Water will probably still be inthe 40's. Can they go six months without eating. Allowing of course for time under the ice when they should be totally dormant.

My babies from the pond are doing well. Growing almost too fast. I may have to bring another tank online if they get too big. No sign of barbels yet, if ever. Don't care as they are all pretty and mostly different colors. Can gold fish have those sparkly metalic scales like Koi?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9700567

Oberon,
Cleaned all filtration yesterday after emptying and cleaning B. Momma's tank and decided to vacuum ponds again also. Found the secret of picking up leaves. Roll over them and them backward strokes slowly. Picked up a lot of sand and lleaves out of larger pond. Just a little out of old smaller pond. Sure takes longer than vacuuming my house but I'm glad I'm doing a better job of it.
Wea re still going up into the 80's here which is not normal for our part of Fl. Many winters I didn't feed my fish for months and their immune system is supposed to weaken from what i've read but once they started eating they did fine. I do feed more now to bulk them up for winter without food. If we ever get winter. I'm sure it will come. Not like yours but it does get down at times here to 27. Just a few nights thank God.
BTW I have never had any goldfish with sparkly scales but possibly they can don't know.
Take care and glad your little fishies are growing.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9700579

I was doing the same thing then thought I read that you can't bulk up fish. They just eat, use what they need, and pass the rest through. Except that doesn't seem right. The salmon we catch have wide bands of brown fat on them. Tastes good. So they obviously can store up energy you would think.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9700620

Koi can gain too much weight, and it's not good for them. Their metabolism will go down with their food needs, and they can go all winter without food, because their metabolism goes down to nada. In fact, that's why feeding them when the water is cold is taboo...they don't have enough metabolic involvement to properly digest what they eat, so it stays in their intestines and begins to rot and build up internal toxic gasses.
Koi and goldfish can occassionally inter-breed. Every now and then you can get weird random scales on a fish because of it. However, usually a cross-breed fish is sterile and won't reproduce.
Bonnie, I agree...there's a certain effort amount/dollar amount that you go through with fish, before you shake your head and draw your line in the sand to say "enough". After that point, it's either meant to be, or not meant to be. I've had better luck putting the antibiotics on the wound, instead of as a dip, but I know they sell it as a dip.
I try to separate myself from them when they are really not looking good, so I can make rational decisions instead of emotional decisions. Emotional decisions can cost us a fortune!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9700842

Mary (Oberon),

I probably go about 6 months or so without feeding my fish. They are outside all winter, but I do see them in both the spring and fall eating algae from the sides of the pond. I have also at times seen them eating bugs that are on the surface of the pond in the very early spring.

It kind of flies in the face of things with the idea of the fish not eating for such a long period of time, but I think that is becuase in our minds, we are correlating our fish with mammals.

Seems like things are late this year to me - does it to any of you? Not that I am complaining because I would like it if it didn't get real cold at all. I did check some of my pictures and last year about the 25th of October, I had more leaves down on my trees than I have down now. I am hoping we have a warmer winter this year - last year we froze!

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2013
9:33 AM

Post #9700971

Yeah Carolyn. We are holding in the 40's and I'm loving it. Cold and wet but NO SNOW!! And I can go out and see my fish lazily moving around. I feel better now with your posts and Mary's. I have been so worried. I found a new fish place that specializes in corals but is a one man local shop. I talked with him at length. He has a small place and has the most amazing home built filtration set ups. We talked oxygenation and he said you can actually over oxygenate fish. He said if I brought in a sample I pulled form the pond around December he has an oxygen tester he would use to let me know what my DO levels are. Great place. The help is obviously home grown also. Dreadlocks and all but so much more personal and helpful that the box stores who know nothing. I was at PetCo and they had a tank with some small koi about 3". One was actually about 4+" and his tail was all ragged out and he didn't look too good. I saw another fish picking at his side then actually chewing on his tail. I told the gal there that the fish was ragged out because the other fish were chewing on it. She didn't seem too worried. I am going back to day to see it again and speak with the manager. Oh, the guy at the coral place said he gets calls to come pick up koi from commercial places that are closing down for one reason or another. He doesn't have room for them but would be glad to give them to me. If it is in the winter I don't think I can help. Some of them he said are 2' or better and some smaller. Obviously after the debacle last year with the fish from Oregon quarantine is big on my list of worries. We'll see. Wish I could get that poor chewed fish but won't pay for him. I could set up at the most a 10 gallon take with super filtration and some Nite-out II for nitrates and maybe get him through to summer then into the pond.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9701167

Nothing wrong with 'dreads'. Have my childrens' friends have dreadlocks, but they are nice kids and the thing that gets me about these kids is they are 'doer's' and 'thinkers', which makes them very special in my mind. DH tends to pass judgement on these kids because of how they look - he doesn't listen - they are nice kids and I truly enjoy them when I see them.

It has been a bit raw outside, and I have seen my fish lazily swimming around at the bottom of the pond. Soon we will be putting the deicers in and shutting down the pumps and bringing them inside. When we do that, it always seems so quiet outside. The silence to me is deafening.

I need to get myself off my dupa and start walking. I know when I walk, I tend to have more energy. Any tips for walking in the cold?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9701228

Keep your ears covered, wear gloves, don't over dress and walk briskly. Works for me.

Dupa? Are you Polish? My MIL's mother used to tell my MIL, when she asked what she should wear to school, "Dupa an yitza!" Phonetically spelled of course.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 3, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9701301

Yes, you surely can over oxygenate! Koi will look annoyed and get a little skittish when there is a hyper-saturation of oxygen. It bothers their skin and gills, then makes their insides go a little whacko. It doesn't happen often, we usually suffer from low oxygen levels, not high. It happens mostly when we try to over compensate for a something we've done wrong to a pond/fish and then go rapid fire crazy to do everything we should have done for the past month! Throw every bit of pump and air equipment we own, into the pond. Now the fish are bothered and annoyed with toooooo many microscopic air bubbles in the water. You can sometimes see little bubbles on their skin! Oxygen overload! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

November 3, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9701325

Groan. So much to learn. I wonder if when we pushed the tubes into their caves and then started pumping water through them if we just agitated them while they just wanted to sleep. I don't see that it would oxygenate them as it was just moving the water around at the bottom. This year I am building a tripod to run the hose (2" ) up and over so I have a good drop to the top of the pond, then pump from the very bottom and up. Suck the depleted water out and try to oxygenate as it drops through the air (probably encased in ice as the winter progresses but still) to the pond surface. It would draw water from the caves also I would think. The water on top is colder so maybe as it is oxygenated it would sink down through the rocks to the caves. I knew I should have paid more attention in physics.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9719732

Our big fish don't eat like I thought they would. 2 handfuls seem to be plenty. Other smaller fish in old pond eat like pigs but I still only give them 1 handful and a few cheerios. Dessert you know. They have a feeding frenzy when I just walk near the pond. Big ones eat slowly and casually. They also like a few cheerios.
Ponds have been a little ignored lately. Need to get out there and clean all filtration. Need a sunny warm day cause I usually get all wet too even though I am pressure washing all filtration material. Leaf drop hasn't been too bad yet. I get them with vac.
Got to run.
Take care all and you all in cold country make some good hot soup!!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 1, 2013
6:34 PM

Post #9719781

I had stopped feeding them for weeks.

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9719802

Have done, am eating. More than I can say for the fish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2013
8:45 AM

Post #9720088

Mine haven't eaten in quite awhile either. It will probably be awhile before they eat again.

Bonnie - I think the bigger fish tend to be slower than the smaller fish anyway. Although in the warmer weather, the fish's metabolism tends to be faster than in the cooler weather. I am curious - what are your water temps?

Earlier today, I went out to the pond to see if I could see through the deicers to the fish. I did see 1 fish. It is going to be along winter I think.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9720792

Water right now at 4PM is 60. Don't have new clarifier on old pond but it is crystal clear so I'm going to take some pics.
Big pond is in shade and fish are staying close to bottom but maybe can get some of them too.
Stay warm Carolyn & Oberon.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9720828

Bonnie -

today is a bit warmer and we are supposed to be back into the 50's. Perhaps if you have time youj could post some photos? I would love to see them. Perhaps you could throw a couple of cheerios into them for me :-)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9720830

Bonnie

Just now reading about your loss, it sure wasn't from your diligence.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9720953

Small pond very clear. Large pond in shade so pics not so good.
Big ones are in there.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9720958

The big ones are all about 2 feet and a few are longer.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9720966

Bonnie...It's so wonderful to see your fish! It looks like you have both a blue shusui and blue asagi(?) I know you've wanted blue fish!
Your pond looks great! The plants growing along the edge make it look so tropical. Great job!
:)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9720967

1. big ones
2.black and white is Orca
3. pinkish red butterfly
4. group in small pond
5. bluish one and pinkish one

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9720970

Those plants growing along edge of larger pond are sweedish ivy and used to hang into pond but big fish have eaten them all off wood beam.
Asagi is growing good. Other one has some bluish tint. Someday I am gong to find an all over solid blue one. I live in hopes.
M. Merry, how is your pond coming along? Been perfect weather for digging. Lots of plants blooming now. I now we will soon have real winter weather but freeze I can do without. Water was 60 today so all fish got fed.

Carolyn, They all got their cheerios for dessert. Right now all fish appear healthy. No brag just fact.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9720980

Bonnie, your fish are beyond gorgeous. In all the ponds I have visited outside and in Hawaii I don't think I have seen such beautiful fish. You are so blessed to have such beauty swimming around in your own back yard. 'Course, you have worked your A__ off to build them safe healthy homes so you certainly deserve them.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9720999

Ahhh! Orca was one I gave you as just a youngster! His tummy is light blue, and he has no scales... I wondered what he would look like when he got bigger. I still think he's very interesting!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9721002

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-in-long-fin-blue-shusui-6-mo-old-live-koi-fish-pondgarden-GKOL-RT6-/151178618202?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item2332f2a55a

Bonnie, you may be looking for something like this. It's about the bluest of koi, with no red or black anywhere.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 4, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9721162

Your kois are pretty!!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9721235

Orca now has all white tummy. It is beautiful. I do have 2 koi similar to the one on e-bay. Pictures are hard to really visualize correctly. However, I have seen solid blue in pictures and dark blue also. What I have either had to come from you or guy Jeff calls koi John over in Oveido.

I'm just happy when they are all healthy and that group in small old pond are really active.

Beautiful day today. Got to go feed fish and then go out back and look for used lumber. Want to build a frame to look like stable for nativity figures. I'll cover it with palmettos stapled on.
Happy ponding all.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9721272

I saw some koi on Amazon that were lovely with very low prices but all said "no shipping to Alaska." Probably just as well. The shipping would be four times (or more) than the cost of the fish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9721290

Gorgeous Bonnie! I just love your fish. They all look so active and healthy.

MM - what type of koi is Orca? I have never seen one like that before. Love the way he looks.

It will be awhile before I can feed my fish. :-)

Thank you so much for sharing Bonnie.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9721508

Well...Orca is a beast all his own! It would fall under the category of Kawarimono...which translates into "colors that don't fit into a specific category"...
Closest to it would be a kumonryu...which is a black doitsu (no scales/limited scales) over white. The black on this kind of koi travels around their body, cause by different temps/water conditions/food. It's really interesting as it changes what it looks like. Orca is closest to that, even though it's white is sort of a beautiful powdery light blue. I can't wait to see what he/she looks like as it get bigger and older! One of the beautiful oddities we get excited about! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9721514

He is a beautiful fish - so very different than the others.

Thanks for the information on the koi types, Mary. I was never very good at that.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9721599

Jeff has a Kowa in second pic. Body is white with red tail. He is growing well and eats like a horse. Travels along with his mouth open but will spit out leaves floating in water.
Orca has a little red spot on one side that resembles an old fashioned key hole. Don't know any other way to describe it.
Don't feel bad Carolyn: if I can spell it I can't say it. If I can say it I can't spell it. Doesn't really matter to me. I'm like Mary what they grow into just fascinates me. He/she has never been sick so that's the good part.
I have one over at Jeff's that I want him to bring back. Black with yellow head and is really pretty. It was a freebee from the man we bought the big ones from. Some fish we just swap around. Jeff has decided for now he can't build a new house on what is now our land so he is gong to see if he can get permission from HOA to build a pond right where he is. When he sells the house I'm sure anyone would like a pond and if not they can always use it for something else He will build out of cement blocks and a little raised out of the ground. Not bragging just cause he's mine but he is talented at blg. things. Yesterday he was here cutting out of plywood he had a little Santa Claus house for his front yard Christmas display and I guarantee it will be very nice. He is a perfectionist in many ways. His being an electrician comes in handy also. I will post a pic of it when he's done. Says it will be done by next weekend.
Finally got my outside lights up and running. Poor Charlie has to figure out the camels legs to synchronize their waking. I need to build something that looks like a manger for 3 of the figures.
Mary, maybe you could bring your grandson over one evening to see it. Lights are on by 6pm until around 11PM. Cars stop out front all the time during the season.
Take care all.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9721740

Bonnie,
Thank you for the invitation! I'm sure he would love to see the Christmas lights! (I would too, I love Christmas time!)
What if you listed yourself as a koi breeder/aquaculture person? Would that allow you to keep your property as agriculture? Even if you scooped some dirt on Jeff's lot and put gambuzia mosquito fish in...they breed like crazy and people buy them. No filteration or air pumps needed. Just a thought. You could also grow aquatic plants and water lilies to sell!
Sheesh, half the time both of my legs don't work at the same time, so if Charlie can sycnronize camels, he can work on my brain next!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9721829

When Charlie gets Mary figured out I will send him a ticket to Alaska so he can work on me! lol
It's so funny to listen to all this talk about Christmas decor in a place that never gets snow. We have one row of red lights on the house and I always talk about running a cord to the mail box to string lights on it. Haven't managed it yet. D needs the 100' foot cord to plug his truck in. I did wire a bunch of (fake) greenery with berries and pine cones just below the mail box. Guess that counts.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9721838

With no snow, sparkly lights are all we have! I'm orginally from the snow belt in Ohio, and we'd get plenty of blizzards from Canada acrosse Lake Erie. The visual was beautiful, the existing in it was not. I've been in Florida for 30 years, wouldn't go back to it unless I had to. I still visit, and love to see it from time to time, but I can do that as I flip the pages of a Hallmark calendar in my flip flops! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2013

Post #9721843

Ladies, Charlie is working with electric cords not human parts. He isn't that smart. There is a transformer that attaches to the camels legs to make them look like they are walking and it isn't easy to get it timed.
If anyone knows how to shut off Microsoft narrator I would appreciate hearing. It drives ne nuts.
Time to feed fish and get off this aggrevating thing.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9721893

Never heard of Microsoft narrator. Sounds like it would drive me nuts also.

To turn off narrator:

Go to Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center -> Explore all Settings -> Use the computer without a display. Uncheck the checkbox by Turn on Narrator and click Save.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
12:23 PM

Post #9721925

BonnieGardens wrote:Ladies, Charlie is working with electric cords not human parts. He isn't that smart. .

That is too funny.

Try right clicking on narrator and then click on close. I get that when I am in too much of a hurry.

Not doing lights and decorations or the tree this year. Hubs is having his aortic valve replaced on 12/16. they wanted the surgery while I was at work and then he will be home while I am off from work. Going to be a quiet Christmas this year.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9722051

Holy Cow Carolyn. You do have your hands full. I will send lots of positive vibes your way and be thinking of you through out the month, both before and after.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 5, 2013
2:24 PM

Post #9722053

Carolyn, That is major? How long will he be in the hospital?

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9722057

Thank you Mary and Belle -

He will be in the hospital 5-7 days, starting out in CICU for a couple of days. This is why they wanted me to be off when he came home, not when he is in CICU.

He asked me about Christmas decorations - I said with everything going on, it was just going to be one more thing. Now I am wondering if I should have said yes. Some cheer and another opportunity to get him moving around.

All these things with his heart have been going on for the last year and a half. Makes me wonder if there is ever any getting better from this type of thing.

The best part is that we are convinced this is all from Agent Orange - we found out recently that in the 70's in Thailand, the govt was using Agent Orange at those Air Force Bases.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9722118

I take it he was there at that time. My first husband was at Parris Island during the time they were subjected to polluted water, and my Dad was at Atsugi Naval Air Station in Japan when the local contractor was burning stuff sending polluted and carcinogenic air over the civilian living areas. In neither case did the military or government do a darned thing until the fall out - literally of cancer and other terrible physical problems.

You should be able to join in the class action for Agent Orange. Aren't they doing something about that now? Not that it is much consolation for what you are going through.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9722138

MaryMary
I hear ya on upper OH, I lived there for 8 years and oh it was terrible during the winter, summer wasn't bad at all, but come fall, oh I hated it. I'm with you with the flip flops. I haven't worn much of anything else since coming back home to FL.

Carolyn
As a wife of a husband who had a mechanical Aorta Valve replacement, I say do a few Christmas decorations, not a lot just a few while he is in the hospital so when he comes home they are there to welcome him home. My husband had his replaced 38 years ago on Dec 2nd.

I'll be praying for his surgeon, him, and you. When time permits please send us updates.

Mary,
yes PI was bad about the water, I was there at the end of that craziness which now I just tell folks that my problems are from drinking the water at PI.

What I pray for every day is that folks take it seriously when they vote people into government positions. What the government has done to our military drives me nuts. I'm really surprised any young folks want to join up.

Ok I'm getting off that and back to a more relaxing topic, gardening.

For those up north, add a few extra blankets tonight and I hope you don't have to go out tomorrow.

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9722147

Mary - yes, he was in Thailand in the airforce at that time period. There is a class action law suit going on, but good luck with that. There is so much stalling by the government with this law suit. I get the fact that things are going to be backed up, but to ask for the same information, 6,7,8 or 9 times is beyond redundant!

Jan - thank you. A good suggestion and glad to hear about your husband still going strong after 38 years with a mechanical valve. I am hopeful that the valve will help with some of the other problems as well. I thank you for your prayers.

I am definitely into the gardening. I signed up for the seed robin. I had not done the seed robin in several years and I am looking forward to the robin.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9722178

I've learned, even here in Florida, that if I don't have time to do much decorating, I make my decor larger or sparkley-er...I take care of my mom, she's 82 and spunky, but limited in what she can do, so I put bigger ornaments and wreaths on her house. It makes more of an impact, with less effort. I found a 5 foot wreath at budget price, decorated by a Floridian "mouse" and it will cover the front of her house. Voila! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9722237

I am all about large and gaudy. Since I have little decorating taste, I figure bright counts. lol. I want one of those huge inflated Snoopys to go on my front deck. And moving reindeer, and 5' x 5' inflated Christmas presents. Only problem is the wind is bad here so all must be anchored down or they land in the neighbors' yard.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9722341

ok Mary I want a picture of your yard with the decorations??? LOL

I just found some great buys last weekend at dollar tree, as now that we have a few steps at the front and side door I can wrap them with greenery with some bows. can't beat a buck for items...

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9722419

You are all shaming me into decorating. Perhaps I will do some decorating and put on the Christmas music - some of which makes me weepy, as they bring memories of some family members that have passed.

I used to make wreaths and centerpeices. I should get back into that type of thing. I used to be very crafty - a lot of things went by the wayside when I started to have children. Now that they are on their own, I have more time and wonder why I am bored at times.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9722528

I said I WANTED, not I bought. DH would kill me. But it would be so neat wouldn't it. Now if I could just get more than one moose at a time with antlers I could string them with lights and have a real santa sleigh complete with 'reindeer'
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9722695

Sounds so pretty.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9722773

Carolyn,
My neighbor was in his late 70's when he got a new valve and I couldn't believe how hard that man worked shortly after he got home from the hosp. Said he was much better than he was before.
The holidays bring back many memories but I try to remember all the good times we gathered at my mom's. I play Christmas music all month long and sing along with it. Not softly either I might add. When I first came to Fl. I cried all through Christmas as all my family was up in Conn. Now I know it is whatever I make it and because my children (some) are round here I make the very best of it I can for them.
I have a sign out in the garden nailed to a tree "Bloom wherever God's plant you". Makes sense to me.
Recruit neighbors or friends to help you do a little decorating before hub comes home from hosp. Will make both of you feel a little better.
He will be added to my nightly prayer list as of now. I don't now his name but God does.
Take care. Bonnie
PS: M Mary you will be blessed for taking care of your mom. Wonderful that she is down here.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9722799

Bonnie -

You are so thoughtful and I really like your common sense. Thank you for your prayers - hubs name is Dave.

I will have to remember the 'bloom where God plants you.'.

Thank you so much.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2013 5:57 PM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 6, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9722807

Carolyn,
Your Dave will be added to my daily prayers.
i agree of a little decoration.
Try to find out what kind of valve that re using. Sometimes they use animal heart valves. Used to be an OR nurse before I retired.

Bonnie , please post your yard x-mas decors.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9722819

Belle

Thank you - they are using a mechanical valve. It should be an experience learning to adapt to the coumadin way of eating, but we will get through it. Dave did not want the porcine valve.

Bonnie - I would like to see your decorations too!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 6, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9722840

One of our Anesthesiologist had the porcine valve and is doing great!! It is amazing isn't it?

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9722859

It is truly amazing Belle. I know that he opted for the mechanical valve because they last longer and he was concerned the porcine valve would wear out in later years and then, because he would be older, his risks would be higher.

Medicine has advanced so far - I know particularly with heart problems, that medicine has come quite a ways in the last 10 years.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9722992

I found this huge koi vase last year...it's just under 2 feet tall. I filled it with clear ornaments and battery operated candles. At night, I just switch on the little lights and turn the lights off in the room. It gets all sparkley. Weird Christmas decor, I know, but I still love it. :)

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9722995

Oh that is so neat. Love it. My kind of decor. Weird. Oh but I repeat myself. lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9723123

MM - I love it! My Mom used to fill vases with Christmas ornaments and have them strategically located in the house.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9723125

MerryMary that isn't weird as we all love it, great idea.

Carolyn
Dave will do great and the mechanical ones do do better. As previously stated my DH has just past the 38 year mark, and medicine has come a long way, as after his surgery he was taking so much medicine, but now very little. The worst is right after, because of being on the heart lung bypass, their bodies swell, that is the worse he will look, but within a few days he will look like himself again. Just wanted to prepare you for the shock. Usually while he is in surgery you will be given updates throughout his surgery, so you are just sitting there wondering how it is going. Before the week is out they will have him up and walking the hallways. It is amazing how fast the recovery goes, the human body is amazing.

Jan
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 7, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9723142

Dh had a quad by-pass few years ago and i Have to do it again i will not sneak to see him and felt bad to see him with all the tubes.

I was so impressed on all the CCU nurses how efficient they were and the step down nurses.

He will do fine and prayers do help.

Will be thinking of you!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9723179

Jan -

So good to know. I had no idea the body would swell like that. I am thinking that the hard part is to keep him moving as he has problems walking and is rather inactive. The blood clots are definitely a concern.

Question for you - what do you do regarding a coumadin diet? I love to cook and am really unsure as to how to approach this.

Belle - thank you. I appreciate the prayers.

I grew up in a medical family and quite honestly - I did not tell hubs this, when I was talking with my Dad about this, he did mention that he had seen enlarged hearts in his work - he was a pathologist for many, many years. But this is also the same person that showed me the pictures of the smoke damaged lungs in JAMA when I started smoking in my teens. (I have been smoke free for a number of years).

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2013
8:18 AM

Post #9723220

M Mary, love your vase. Not weird its beautiful.

Carolyn I will pray that the GREAT physician will go into the operating room with Dave and I know he will do fine. First operation I had I was a little scared but by the second & third I was telling the docs jokes on the way in on the rolling table. Can't spell gurney right. LOL

If you wish post your address so we can all send him cards. I love the funny ones.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013

Post #9723267

Thank you so much Bonnie.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9723273

Blessings and prayers. Like Bonnie said, the great Physician watches over! Thanks for the comments on my vase, I'm now inspired to do some other non-traditional things. I like sparkle, I always have. I have glass collections coming out the wazooo, but love looking at all of the gold and twinkle in my china cabinets.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 7, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9723280

She's waiting for me to turn the lights on inside the vase.

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9723357

So are we - can you send a picture with the lights on? Love your kitty - what is her name?

My SIL loves the lights and sparkle too. She had it rigged up so that she had the little colored Christmas lights in her car over, the sun visors. She was able to keep the lights on by some type of set up she had hooked up to the cigarette lighter. She also has them in her windows in her living room. Not something I have ever done, but I have to say, it so neat. I really love the lights too -
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 7, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9723388

From Carolyn--- Question for you - what do you do regarding a coumadin diet? I love to cook and am really unsure as to how to approach this.

My husband had been on coumadin because of few mini strokes and will be on Coumadin for the rest of his life. MRA revealead that the arteries in his brain are tiny so he needs coumadin to prevent further strokes. He is stabilized as far as dosage.
Now google the food rich in vitamin K and also google what is VIt K in relation to bleeding and clotting.
You have to avoid the foods that are high in Vit K such as green leafy veg etc.

Dh had always eaten salads so it was never a problem for him.
It will be too long if I explain what you are going to google.

He will have to have numerous lab work until his levels are stabilized.

Belle

This message was edited Dec 7, 2013 4:13 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9723422

My understanding is that vitamin K is what causes our blood to clot. Without it we would simply bleed out. Found out this when my dog ate rat poison. It absorbs all the K in the blood stream so the animal starts bleeding internally. You wouldn't even notice for a while. Fortunately I caught him right after so we cleaned him out. He was fine.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9723501

Hubs was on coumaden (I cannot spell that word!) several years ago for a blood clot after surgery. We had an awful time trying to get it regulated. I don't know that we were ever able to regulate it. I am wondering perhaps we had gone about things incorrectly back then.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9723605

Jeez Carolyn, you would think that the doctors would be helping and giving guidance. Or the dietitians would help. They can't just hand you meds like that without some information on life changes that need to go with the meds.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2013
9:50 PM

Post #9723624

You would be surprised at the medical staff not really getting involved with what a patient on Coumadin can or should not eat. My DH eats pretty much what ever he wants. His problem which has been this from his first surgery was once he has to go off (he has had to have several other surgeries) and go to Heparin the off for surgery, then back to Heparin after surgery then slowly back on to Coumadin while still on Heparin. He has the hardest time getting his PT regulated. So much trouble that most of the time I finally get the Doctors to let him go home with Heparin shots until all is back to normal, which usually takes a good 6 months for him.

Everyone is different in how they react to the Coumadin so it is hard to say how Dave will do but hopefully he will be an easy fix for him and you.

During his hospital recovery asked to talk with a dietician. The biggest thing is I have to watch the amount of salt in cooking, so that is an easy fix, I barely salt anymore while cooking and we each salt our own plates, as I'm a salt a holic...

So I guess what I'm trying to say don't let the diet keep you up at night, it isn't as difficult as you are thinking.

Jan
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 8, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9723724

I don't know if you had noticed that the doctors does not have time to spend time with patients especially the teaching hospitals where residents and Physicians assistants follows them on rounds.

i find that having a knowledge and understanding on situations will help you better understand that is why i asked that you google.

Yes vit k helps with blood clotting and coumadin makes the blood thin so food rich in vitamin k must be avoided.

It takes time to regulate the PT PTT and patients will be asked to have lab work several times a week so the dosage can be regulated.

Food that has red dye, red wine must also be avoided because if there is bleeding it can be detected easily.

I heard though that there are machines to rent or for loans just for this test. You might want to discuss this before discharge.

Then there is the cardiac rehab which is a different story.

Take care and have a good day!!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2013
11:20 AM

Post #9723975

I had mentioned to Dave that I wanted to talk with the dietician at the VA and again was shot down. I am thinking of calling and going to talk with them without him at this point.

Ironically when all the problems with Daves' heart made their presence known about 18 months ago, I had said to the cardiac people that I would be interested in talking to a dietician and that was shot down by Dave.

Dave's mother and I have talked about it as well and she feels the same way that I feel. My FIL had a heart attack 22 years ago and they have both followed a very strict regimen regarding FIL's heart and he is still quite hearty and hale at 83 years old. I think there is something to be learned from that.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9724031

stick to your what your heart is telling you. I think it is good that you make a trip on your own to see the dietician. I would say make slow changes.

Also, hopefully they will have the finger stick machine for his PT/PTT as you have a reading instantly. The blood draw is at least a day later.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2013
1:08 PM

Post #9724034

Oh, he is just going to love that finger stick. Oh Carolyn, you do indeed have your work cut out for you. It's like he fights you every step of the way as you try to create a healthy life and lifestyle for him. Been going on a long time.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9724163

Mary - it has been going on a very long time.

Jan - he will be going over to the VA clinic several times a week to have his finger stuck. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 8, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9724241

How far is Va.?

You know he will not be able to drive for awhile.

Dh with the CABG was not allowed to drive for 4 weeks.

Your DH is a handful to say the least, can you go to the dietician by yourself. You can talk to the hospitals dietician before discharge.
Take care.

Belle

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2013
9:12 PM

Post #9724285

my DH wasn't able to drive for 2 months, he was very weak from the first surgery, he drove 50 miles with a ruptured Aorta, so it took him a while, then 8 years ago he had to had another surgery and it was another 2 months before he could go back to work and a 3 weeks after he went back to work did he start driving. The first week back I drove him, the second week back he would drive with me in the car on the way to work and I would drive him home he was still tried. Third week he drive to and from work with me in the car, the four week he went on his own with the understand if he was too tried, I would go back to driving him, he was fine from then on.

Try to get in before he comes home to see the dr about his diet. Then you know what to be mindful of.

Jan
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 9, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9724558

Carolyn,
you had mentioned that you have relatives who has medical backgrounds, Please talk to them coupled with the internet regarding the foods to avoid.

After all the different posts, it can be very confusing.

Take care.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9724581

The VA clinic is probably 5 or 6 blocks from me. The town I am in is very small. We have been told they do not want him to drive for 6-8 weeks. The doctor indicated that he does not want him in the front seat where an airbag can deploy into his chest - and honestly I would not have thought of that if the doctor had not mentioned it. Dave will have to go to dr appts after I get out of work.

Dave is definitely a handful - to put it mildly. I am sure that I am a handful to him as well.

We are having dinner with my Dad tomorrow night, so I will definitely bring it up to them. He may be able to help. Definitely a good idea.

I do appreciate your tips. Thank you so much.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2013 1:26 PM
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 9, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9724598

I am relieved that the VA is close to you.
I remember now about patient sitting at the back.

You will be given discharge instructions and do make a copy for him and for you.

Good luck and be strong. everyday will be a challenge for your patience but everyday Dave will regain his strength back and will feel better to do things for himself.
Will be thinking of you often.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9724833

Thank you so much Belle.

I cannot believe we are already into December - I did some Christmas shopping last weekend. Truthfully, I wish the weather was nice enough to sit out with my fish!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9726810

My 'baby' fish taken from the pond and in a tank in the house are getting nice and big and healthy. I was looking at a UTube film that says that they won't breed for 2-4 years. That you cannot tell males from females until that time. Is that your experience?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9726987

Mary

That is true for koi, but not for goldfish.

I have problems telling the larger koi from each other. The only reason I know which are which in my pond is that I have seen them breeding over the years.

It must be a source of enjoyment to have your fish inside.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9727022

It is kind of neat, even if they are just gold fish or shebunkin. They are so healthy and they are changing color I think. The white ones show dark splotches underneath. Could be my imagination but seems like the splotches are getting darker. What is really fascinating is the metallic scales that are helter skelter around the bodies of some of the fish. And the two fish that are a strange metallic greenish grayish color. No idea what they are. I have nothing like them in the pond.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9727541

Mary,
Any chance for a pic of those strange colored ones?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9727562

Yes. I will give it a try. They move so fast and you have to get just the right angle to not get flashback from the acquarium.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America