-
AuthorContent
Googlie4gardens
Victorville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9696135

Hi:) Last spring (2012) I started my asparagus from seed. So technically this is the little plants 2nd autumn.. Up until this point I have never fertilized it or cut anything from it. I've just let it be. However it's turning yellow from the tops down and not looking so good (also dealing with aphids but that is almost under control) so I am assuming it is hungry.. Earlier today I bought some 10-10-10 and I need to know how much I can give it.. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you so much!

Jessica
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9696147

Jessica,

Here the asparagus turns yellow after a frost, then they get cut back and the fronds are chipped for our compost.

Turning yellow just means they've completed their growing cycle for the year. We only use our own compost to feed them.

You can wait for other responses but I wouldn't be feeding them when they want to sleep until spring.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Googlie4gardens
Victorville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9696158

Thanks for the response Pirl. I wish I had compost to use. I live in the desert and lack many things to add to the pile.. We have no grass barely any trees etc. Anyways I thought I had read somewhere that I should feed them in the spring and the fall.. Is that wrong? As for the yellowing we haven't had a frost yet. Which was why I assumed they were lacking a few things.. Our soil isn't that great so I had to amend it originally. Beautiful beds. I am slightly envious :P
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9696282

You're welcome. I think your local Cooperative Extension Service agent could be of great help to you since I'm not familiar with any CA gardening. I wish you the best.

My husband suggested planting asparagus after his son-in-law gave us some extra plants he had. I dug them from our former home, brought them out here, and Jack made the bed for them. We added more as the years passed. Now we have almost too many in June but we love them and so do the neighbors.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9699016

I found this: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/organic/files/2011/03/E-503_asparagus.pdf

It applies to Texas so I'd still check with your local Cooperative Extension Agent if I were you.

Scroll down to fertilizing - just a bit past the middle of page 3 of the article. I hope it helps you. In the same area, read the right hand column, "Care During the Season"..."After the first hard frost...", at the very bottom of that page and continuing on to the next page.

We have never used Roundup for weed control, just hand digging, very lightly.

Bon appétit.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Googlie4gardens
Victorville, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9706722

Thank you so much Pirl! This was actually very helpful. Sorry for the late response. I need to get in the habit of checking into Daves more often. I will also see if we have a local cooperative ext. agent.. Thanks again!

BTW. Delicious looking spears you have there! :)

Jessica
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9706723

I hope you have many years of glorious spears! It's just not possible to enjoy asparagus more than when you eat them 10 minutes after you harvest them from the garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America