Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

opaque milk jugs?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone!
this year I am finally going to do some wintersowing.I do drink milk, but do not drink soda or juice or bottled water. However in recent years most dairies have switched to opaque white plastic jugs, because clear glass or plastic lets in UV light and it destroys the vitamin A and changes the flavor. Most of the photos you all post are of the older more translucent plastic. Has anyone noticed a problem with the new ones?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mine break or fall apart when they freeze .. Have to find a sealer for them , wrapping the bottom with duct tape is all right , but then were back to the top and light ,
Only my experience , many still like milk jugs ..

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This will solve the problem. I have used these for 3 years, and intend to use them again.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Forgot to add the photos

Thumbnail by blomma
Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

I had good results in the milk jugs with snapdragons and lettuce, I fact my snaps are still blooming in 53 degree weather.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone-

Juhur-I am in a very mild climate, so the milk jugs may be more sturdy here. I had planned to use the closing method of leaving the top attached at the handle, then making two little holes and closing with a twisty tie in the front. I planned to make holes in the bottom, and leave the lid off, thus letting some rain in but protecting the seeds somewhat.

Blomma- I have looked before (with great interest and admiration) at your setup, and may use it for stratification, but part of what attracted me to the milkjug wintersowing concept was letting the rain wash through to help wash out germination inhibitors, and allowing the natural cold do it's thing, without then having to replant the sprouted seeds. Your setup looks better protected from rodents and slugs though. I may try both.

cytf-I love snapdragons-they are mostly perennial for me, and self sow a bit too. I have some yellow ones blooming now. I have some snapdragon seeds i plan to winter sow this year. I am starting to save my milk jugs. Somebody recommended filling the jug with hot water for a few minutes to help peel off the label and it works well.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Blomma, your winter sowing method sure does look intriguing. do you sink the whole thing into the ground?

MLM, when you get a milk jug cut, can you post a picture for us newbies?

Hi Mipii google winter sowing 101 and you will see the steps in using the milk jug system.I followed it to the T and I did well .

Thanks Cytf, I'll do it.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've never had an issue with the milk jugs from falling apart... I use a lot of vinegar, those are much thicker plastic.

I've never had an issue with opaque containers either... I'll use the white Qt sized yogurt buckets too, with no problems.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 1:30 AM

Thanks, I was lamenting throwing out all the milk jugs I collected...I do have bins!

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I too have used vinegar bottles - we use a lot for cleaning and laundry etc. It seems like the milk gallon jugs get thinner each year.

Here's my 'ode to Blomma'!

Thumbnail by Mipii
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Mipii, Looking, looking good. You have outdone me this year.

Maybe so Blomma, only because I haven't settled into a specialty yet or my inexperience is overshadowed by enthusiasm. I'll need a lot more endurance to catch up to you. Do you estimate the outer containers will last two or three seasons?

BTW...thanks for the new obsession!

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 1:31 AM

Thumbnail by blomma Thumbnail by blomma Thumbnail by blomma

I like it, easy peazy...although if I'm gonna use mine for acclimation, I'm gonna need about 50 more...lol.

Chaska, MN(Zone 4a)

Blomma... how do your seedlings get enough light in there? .... when you start seeing green do you just unstack them?? I am using jugs this time... but I have lotsa shoe boxes. Do you drill holes in the bottoms? I like the neat and tidy look.. and I think the no-tape is a bonus.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

hillabeans,
Once the seeds spout, they will be placed on the east side of my garage for morning sun.
1] iris seeds sprouting in April
2] Those that are large enough will go into a 3" foam coffee cup until safe to plant out. Here they are getting acclimated to fresh air.

Yes I make holes at the bottom but with a red hot nail. I found drilling tend to break hard plastic.

Thumbnail by blomma Thumbnail by blomma

I have use the cooking oil gallon jugs, they seem a little bit thicker . For the first time this year I am trying a 64 oz cranberry juice bottle because I need an extra container, and I have milk jugs for the third yea..Also I have a large plastic bottle of nuts I bought from Sams and I put plastics wrap over it , made holes in the plastic and put a large rubber band around it.

here are my pictures.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
Chaska, MN(Zone 4a)

OOhhh. I like the milk crate idea to corral the jugs. I have 3-4 of them in my basement.. I was thinking about poking holes in my bins (like blomma did) to corral the jugs... but this is better. (At least for some of them) I did planting yesterday and I'm up to 30. YIKES>... :-))

Yes Hillabeans the jugs really fits perfect in the crates, but I have some large roasting pans that I will use sit the jugs in when I need to take them out and give them some water on a nice day

I checked on my milk jugs 2days ago and my lettuce is sprouting up hooray .Now it is snowing again today so I will have to wait until it gets warmer to check on the other jugs.

Checked on my milk jugs last week and to my great surprise the pansies and delph are sprouting. This is the first time I sowed those.

MLM, back to your original question after seeing the opaque milk jugs. I can't see how they would let any light in. No light but would probably still be good for warmth.

Cytf, congrats on your germination, I haven't the courage to check on mine yet.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

I have access to unlimited water jugs...So that is what I use...I sure like the compact idea of the stackable containers tho...

I have never had an issue with opaque jugs ever...I don't save mine because I end up cutting off the lids as they seedlings grow...but I wash and recycle them.

I set out 50 jugs ran out of jugs boo hiss...the dh always asking me can I stop saving them now? NOOOO....LOL

Im hoping I didn't set mine out too late...is there such a thing ? all my seeds were purchased so Im not really worried about stratification as these should already be stratified...I would think ?...anyway...Here is to hoping 50 jugs do fine...

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 1:32 AM

Blomma ....Thank you...I wondered about the moisture part....altho Im sure mine will be fine as they have been out in the cold for over 3 weeks now...Learn something new everyday ; }

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

huggergirl,
you are welcome. If they have been out in the cold with moisture, yes, then they will be stratified. and ready to sprout with warm temp.

My iris seeds have been outside in bins all winter on the north side of my house. End of this month, or ealy April I will begin to bring them into the house for them to sprout. Iris seeds will sprout in temp of 50 to 70F

Thanks for all the info Blomma. I never even thought about bringing them inside to sprout them early!

Blomma ...Iris Bores ..what can you tell me...I dug all my Iris out last year because of them... DID I transplant them from someone else's Garden with free Iris tubers ? I never had them before ?

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

huggergirl,
I have never had them so I can't advise you. However, I found this information on the web.

Crush Borer Eggs
Those telltale brown streaks in the iris leaves are created when borer eggs are laid inside the leaf. Crush the eggs and naturally prevent the next generation of destructive borers from being hatched. To crush the eggs, start at the top of the brown streak and pinch your way down the leaf, crushing the eggs between thumb and index finger as you go.

Into the Rhizome
If the brown streak continues down into the rhizome, dig up the rhizome and inspect it for exit holes. Use a sharp knife or shears and cut away any damaged parts of the rhizome. Mix up a weak bleach solution of one part bleach and nine parts water in a small recycled butter bowl and place the rhizome (after cutting away damaged) into the bleach water solution. Let rhizome soak for five minutes to prevent soft rot and to drown any borer larvae. Rinse rhizome under cool running water and place on newspaper to dry overnight before replanting.

Make sure you also remove all dead leaves in the fall and trim back leaves to 6".

Hope the above helps.

Mipii, You are welcome. I will bring some of mine in this week for early sprouting.

thank you soo very much good information...I have some left... but I dug my huge ones and tossed then into the burn pile...I love them so I will keep rying

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I have had them - they tend to come with overwatering. It maybe caused by our irrigation system, which of course waters everything. Was just reading something about this and I believe it stated they need less water after blooming. Just like houseplants you can't really water on a schedule because different plants have individual needs. One thing that helps is to divide them every 2-3 years and remove any traces of softening and discoloring on the tubers. I wasn't able to divide any last year, and the rotting really was noticeable. I may ned to re-think the drip hoses and timers, or at the least re-locate the iris to place where they can be watered less.

I have several varieties and they are planted all over the garden. Only picture i could locate today - some cut iris from last spring.

Thumbnail by martyR

Huggergirl, there was a great article a little while back on DG, looks like it was written just for you:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/832/

Marty you are correct about dividing them every 2years . I planted mine 7 years ago and last August I divided them and found some of the holes and the browning of the tubers . I cleaned them is a mild bleach solution and made sure I discard the damaged tubers in the garbage .What made me divide them it that I noticed that my peach one did not bloom at all and my yellow one only had one bloom.

Robin, thank you I printed it off...I'm thinking it`s water. I water ,and I had been thinking they get too much water...it took years for them to show up...I always cut them back clean up ,dig and thin, use bleach....I still have some Iris just not the huge ones...Id bet my neighbor still has some...I will acquire more, I wont give up...Maybe we better find the Iris thread....LOL

I'm going to set out more jugs today ...I ordered more seed ...from Botanical Interests. I love them...great prices on seed a lot of Heirloom I love the selection of Different seed over ordinary same old same old... I put them in my favorites..shipping was high :[ but if they germinate really well. I can be ok with high shipping...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Well of course now, I'm gonna check them out, thanks for feeding the beast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.