AuthorContent
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2013
7:44 PM

Post #9697901

Hi everyone!
this year I am finally going to do some wintersowing.I do drink milk, but do not drink soda or juice or bottled water. However in recent years most dairies have switched to opaque white plastic jugs, because clear glass or plastic lets in UV light and it destroys the vitamin A and changes the flavor. Most of the photos you all post are of the older more translucent plastic. Has anyone noticed a problem with the new ones?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2013
7:23 PM

Post #9705667

Mine break or fall apart when they freeze .. Have to find a sealer for them , wrapping the bottom with duct tape is all right , but then were back to the top and light ,
Only my experience , many still like milk jugs ..

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 9, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9705710

This will solve the problem. I have used these for 3 years, and intend to use them again.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 9, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9705711

Forgot to add the photos

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cytf
Staten Island, NY

November 11, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9706809

I had good results in the milk jugs with snapdragons and lettuce, I fact my snaps are still blooming in 53 degree weather.
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9706966

Thanks everyone-

Juhur-I am in a very mild climate, so the milk jugs may be more sturdy here. I had planned to use the closing method of leaving the top attached at the handle, then making two little holes and closing with a twisty tie in the front. I planned to make holes in the bottom, and leave the lid off, thus letting some rain in but protecting the seeds somewhat.

Blomma- I have looked before (with great interest and admiration) at your setup, and may use it for stratification, but part of what attracted me to the milkjug wintersowing concept was letting the rain wash through to help wash out germination inhibitors, and allowing the natural cold do it's thing, without then having to replant the sprouted seeds. Your setup looks better protected from rodents and slugs though. I may try both.

cytf-I love snapdragons-they are mostly perennial for me, and self sow a bit too. I have some yellow ones blooming now. I have some snapdragon seeds i plan to winter sow this year. I am starting to save my milk jugs. Somebody recommended filling the jug with hot water for a few minutes to help peel off the label and it works well.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9707107

Blomma, your winter sowing method sure does look intriguing. do you sink the whole thing into the ground?

MLM, when you get a milk jug cut, can you post a picture for us newbies?
cytf
Staten Island, NY

November 11, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9707144

Hi Mipii google winter sowing 101 and you will see the steps in using the milk jug system.I followed it to the T and I did well .
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9707166

Thanks Cytf, I'll do it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9710437

I've never had an issue with the milk jugs from falling apart... I use a lot of vinegar, those are much thicker plastic.

I've never had an issue with opaque containers either... I'll use the white Qt sized yogurt buckets too, with no problems.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 16, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9710629

Mipii wrote:Blomma, your winter sowing method sure does look intriguing. do you sink the whole thing into the ground?

No the bin stays on top of the ground on the north side of my house out of the sun. It remains covered. It is shown opened for illustration.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9710634

Thanks, I was lamenting throwing out all the milk jugs I collected...I do have bins!
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2014
8:21 AM

Post #9744537

I too have used vinegar bottles - we use a lot for cleaning and laundry etc. It seems like the milk gallon jugs get thinner each year.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2014
8:37 AM

Post #9744544

Here's my 'ode to Blomma'!

Thumbnail by Mipii

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 10, 2014
9:41 PM

Post #9745064

Mipii, Looking, looking good. You have outdone me this year.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2014
9:56 PM

Post #9745066

Maybe so Blomma, only because I haven't settled into a specialty yet or my inexperience is overshadowed by enthusiasm. I'll need a lot more endurance to catch up to you. Do you estimate the outer containers will last two or three seasons?

BTW...thanks for the new obsession!

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 12, 2014
6:52 PM

Post #9746359

Mipii... The containers should last at least 3+ years. Those I bought in 2010, the first time I did plants like that and left them outside, I am still using, and have been every year since. Since they aren't placed in the sun, the plastic lasts a lot longer. I have since added a few more.

As far as your new obsession---you are welcome. It is called enabeling in plant language.

1] My first shoe containers full of seeds, from November 2009 holding iris and perennials seeds. The following years I used the bins to keep the shoe boxes safe from animals.
2] A look inside.
3] I also use the bins to acclimate the seedling after potting up. Is it rains or get cold I can cover them or move the whole thing to the garage. Here they are soaking up the morning sun. They will be ready to plant out May 30

This message was edited Jan 12, 2014 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2014
8:14 PM

Post #9746403

I like it, easy peazy...although if I'm gonna use mine for acclimation, I'm gonna need about 50 more...lol.
hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2014
8:11 AM

Post #9754047

Blomma... how do your seedlings get enough light in there? ... when you start seeing green do you just unstack them?? I am using jugs this time... but I have lotsa shoe boxes. Do you drill holes in the bottoms? I like the neat and tidy look.. and I think the no-tape is a bonus.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2014
6:52 PM

Post #9754373

hillabeans,
Once the seeds spout, they will be placed on the east side of my garage for morning sun.
1] iris seeds sprouting in April
2] Those that are large enough will go into a 3" foam coffee cup until safe to plant out. Here they are getting acclimated to fresh air.

Yes I make holes at the bottom but with a red hot nail. I found drilling tend to break hard plastic.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         

cytf
Staten Island, NY

January 24, 2014
11:51 AM

Post #9754809

I have use the cooking oil gallon jugs, they seem a little bit thicker . For the first time this year I am trying a 64 oz cranberry juice bottle because I need an extra container, and I have milk jugs for the third yea..Also I have a large plastic bottle of nuts I bought from Sams and I put plastics wrap over it , made holes in the plastic and put a large rubber band around it.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

January 24, 2014
12:00 PM

Post #9754813

here are my pictures.

Thumbnail by cytf   Thumbnail by cytf         

hillabeans
Chaska, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 24, 2014
2:23 PM

Post #9754881

OOhhh. I like the milk crate idea to corral the jugs. I have 3-4 of them in my basement.. I was thinking about poking holes in my bins (like blomma did) to corral the jugs... but this is better. (At least for some of them) I did planting yesterday and I'm up to 30. YIKES>... :-))
cytf
Staten Island, NY

January 25, 2014
10:56 AM

Post #9755466

Yes Hillabeans the jugs really fits perfect in the crates, but I have some large roasting pans that I will use sit the jugs in when I need to take them out and give them some water on a nice day
cytf
Staten Island, NY

February 26, 2014
7:45 AM

Post #9777102

I checked on my milk jugs 2days ago and my lettuce is sprouting up hooray .Now it is snowing again today so I will have to wait until it gets warmer to check on the other jugs.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

March 17, 2014
10:55 AM

Post #9791622

Checked on my milk jugs last week and to my great surprise the pansies and delph are sprouting. This is the first time I sowed those.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2014
12:53 PM

Post #9791723

MLM, back to your original question after seeing the opaque milk jugs. I can't see how they would let any light in. No light but would probably still be good for warmth.

Cytf, congrats on your germination, I haven't the courage to check on mine yet.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2014
4:03 AM

Post #9792092

I have access to unlimited water jugs...So that is what I use...I sure like the compact idea of the stackable containers tho...

I have never had an issue with opaque jugs ever...I don't save mine because I end up cutting off the lids as they seedlings grow...but I wash and recycle them.

I set out 50 jugs ran out of jugs boo hiss...the dh always asking me can I stop saving them now? NOOOO...LOL

Im hoping I didn't set mine out too late...is there such a thing ? all my seeds were purchased so Im not really worried about stratification as these should already be stratified...I would think ?...anyway...Here is to hoping 50 jugs do fine...

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2014
12:36 PM

Post #9792369

huggergirl wrote:...Im hoping I didn't set mine out too late...is there such a thing ? all my seeds were purchased so Im not really worried about stratification as these should already be stratified...I would think ?...anyway...Here is to hoping 50 jugs do fine...

No, purchased seeds are not stratifyed. Stratification is the combination of moist cold as nature does outside to break dormancy. Most hardy perennials need it to germinate.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2014
4:27 AM

Post #9793598

Blomma ...Thank you...I wondered about the moisture part...altho Im sure mine will be fine as they have been out in the cold for over 3 weeks now...Learn something new everyday ; }

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 20, 2014
11:21 PM

Post #9794338

huggergirl,
you are welcome. If they have been out in the cold with moisture, yes, then they will be stratified. and ready to sprout with warm temp.

My iris seeds have been outside in bins all winter on the north side of my house. End of this month, or ealy April I will begin to bring them into the house for them to sprout. Iris seeds will sprout in temp of 50 to 70F
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2014
8:43 AM

Post #9794574

Thanks for all the info Blomma. I never even thought about bringing them inside to sprout them early!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2014
6:04 AM

Post #9796693

Blomma ...Iris Bores ..what can you tell me...I dug all my Iris out last year because of them... DID I transplant them from someone else's Garden with free Iris tubers ? I never had them before ?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 24, 2014
10:49 PM

Post #9797511

huggergirl,
I have never had them so I can't advise you. However, I found this information on the web.

Crush Borer Eggs
Those telltale brown streaks in the iris leaves are created when borer eggs are laid inside the leaf. Crush the eggs and naturally prevent the next generation of destructive borers from being hatched. To crush the eggs, start at the top of the brown streak and pinch your way down the leaf, crushing the eggs between thumb and index finger as you go.

Into the Rhizome
If the brown streak continues down into the rhizome, dig up the rhizome and inspect it for exit holes. Use a sharp knife or shears and cut away any damaged parts of the rhizome. Mix up a weak bleach solution of one part bleach and nine parts water in a small recycled butter bowl and place the rhizome (after cutting away damaged) into the bleach water solution. Let rhizome soak for five minutes to prevent soft rot and to drown any borer larvae. Rinse rhizome under cool running water and place on newspaper to dry overnight before replanting.

Make sure you also remove all dead leaves in the fall and trim back leaves to 6".

Hope the above helps.

Mipii, You are welcome. I will bring some of mine in this week for early sprouting.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2014
8:06 AM

Post #9797712

thank you soo very much good information...I have some left... but I dug my huge ones and tossed then into the burn pile...I love them so I will keep rying
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2014
8:17 AM

Post #9797721

I have had them - they tend to come with overwatering. It maybe caused by our irrigation system, which of course waters everything. Was just reading something about this and I believe it stated they need less water after blooming. Just like houseplants you can't really water on a schedule because different plants have individual needs. One thing that helps is to divide them every 2-3 years and remove any traces of softening and discoloring on the tubers. I wasn't able to divide any last year, and the rotting really was noticeable. I may ned to re-think the drip hoses and timers, or at the least re-locate the iris to place where they can be watered less.

I have several varieties and they are planted all over the garden. Only picture i could locate today - some cut iris from last spring.

Thumbnail by martyR

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2014
8:37 AM

Post #9797741

Huggergirl, there was a great article a little while back on DG, looks like it was written just for you:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/832/
cytf
Staten Island, NY

March 25, 2014
5:57 PM

Post #9798070

Marty you are correct about dividing them every 2years . I planted mine 7 years ago and last August I divided them and found some of the holes and the browning of the tubers . I cleaned them is a mild bleach solution and made sure I discard the damaged tubers in the garbage .What made me divide them it that I noticed that my peach one did not bloom at all and my yellow one only had one bloom.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2014
7:21 AM

Post #9799014

Robin, thank you I printed it off...I'm thinking it`s water. I water ,and I had been thinking they get too much water...it took years for them to show up...I always cut them back clean up ,dig and thin, use bleach...I still have some Iris just not the huge ones...Id bet my neighbor still has some...I will acquire more, I wont give up...Maybe we better find the Iris thread...LOL

I'm going to set out more jugs today ...I ordered more seed ...from Botanical Interests. I love them...great prices on seed a lot of Heirloom I love the selection of Different seed over ordinary same old same old... I put them in my favorites..shipping was high :[ but if they germinate really well. I can be ok with high shipping...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2014
8:51 AM

Post #9799078

Well of course now, I'm gonna check them out, thanks for feeding the beast.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2014
6:01 AM

Post #9799602

Robin ; ] I`m hoping I have good germination Ill use them again...love the seed packets sooo pretty...They are GMO free seed,,which is nice...I didn't get any more jugs seeded ..darn,I will today later...woke up to Horrible wind last night , I kept wondering if my jugs were blowing around ,we kinda hap hazardly set my jugs outside the screened porch so they got sun...I did not tape my jugs shut this year...and they stayed put on the east side of the house...I rebent the hinge back the opposite direction after I seeded the jugs and they closed nice an tight and I thought hmmm...No messing with tape would be really nice...You just need to remember when you pick them up do so from the bottom 1/2.. LOL..we will see if this pans out well..a little less work and helpful for watering them..
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2014
10:07 AM

Post #9799783

Hope it's worked very well for you, I've also got big hopes for my setup...we shall see come warmer temps. Good luck and happy growing!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2014
7:33 AM

Post #9800370

Im missing my light set up this year ... taking a trip out to Denver soon and have no one to trust enough to care for seedlings..and a lot of them...so I opted not to set up..missing it...I would grow 20 flats...start my begonias and caladiums...well well...Im so sad...and it is SNOWING again...
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2014
10:01 PM

Post #9800893

All will be well soon. When you get back from Denver, the weather will be nice and you can still decide to set up your lights and perhaps grow less (better late than never)!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

March 30, 2014
3:45 AM

Post #9800925

Some annuals and vegetables can be grown in a short time.
Many only require a few weeks of indoor growing.
You can adapt your gardening to the time you have to start seedlings
by choosing different plants.
Caroline
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2014
6:23 AM

Post #9800998

Your right ... I just want to get growing I guess..lol

I see stinking moles have come up ..Traps today

More jugs today..Some of that new seed needs to get out
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2014
10:01 AM

Post #9801128

I thought it was to late to use jugs now? I did start some beets in jugs last year but was late getting them into bed and they were so overgrown - hard to thin for spacing. I always seem to have trouble with peas germinating? Has anyone started them in jugs? I also have about half of my cold frame empty and would like to start something out there; any suggestions from your experience?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2014
6:02 AM

Post #9801761

Glad you said that Im planting sweet peas in them today...I don't think its too late here in zone 5...

Yes Im probly panicking over nothing ...I will have plenty of grow time ...I still miss seeing my blooming petunias in the house... ;}

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2014
8:39 AM

Post #9801869

Marty, I soak peas overnight and direct sow. I've had great success with this and haven't tried any other method.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2014
3:41 PM

Post #9802171

I have always direct sown too but have several years where due to weather - too wet/cold, and too warm. I did not get any germination - this is even with using innoculent. So I was hoping to be able to pre start them where I could control for conditions and then transplant. But I have not heard of anyone doing this before. Maybe I would be better off hilling the row a bit and covering as needed?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2014
1:11 PM

Post #9803471

I have started them in cell packs, outside with good results. Then they are easily tranferred to the ground. It would be more difficult to take the tangled roots out of jugs, I imagine...
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2014
5:12 PM

Post #9803630

Evelyn, Oh thanks - it's good to know that it can be done. I may try both - hilling some in case it's very rainy and starting some in cell packs. Since it's gotten sunny and warmer I have had to start opening my cold frame in the daytime - the spinach is going well, but it does not need warmth! Some did not sprout so I will sew some new...better not to have it all the same age, as I like to pick and use fresh.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2014 1:49 PM
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2014
6:17 PM

Post #9803689

Good strategy Marty...hedge your bets.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2014
12:42 PM

Post #9804854

It is most often recommended that lupine be sowed either in the ground, or if starting early, in peat pots. However, I have not been successful at peat pots. That is when I switched to cell packs with better results. Just be sure to watch the roots and then either plant them in the ground, or transfer (carefully) to gallon size pots. Handle with care, when tranferring them or transplanting them, as the radicles or roots can get damaged easily.
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2014
11:42 PM

Post #9846639

Here is what I did in the dead of winter. I planted:

Sourwood trees
Japanese Red Pine
Commelina dianthifolia
Meconopsis cambria doubles
Nepeta Blue Moon
Phlomis tuberosa
Iberis sempervirens
Dierama Slieve Donard hybrids
Campanula cashmeriana
Lavender hidcote
Alstroemeria ligtu hybrids
Agastache Apricot sprite
Penstemon heterophyllus True Blue'Belamcanda chinensis
Linum silvestre saphyr
Echinacea paradoxa
Linum perenne lewissi

We had very cold weather in early Dec (for us), 3-4 days stayed below freezing, reaching 10 degrees at night. then again in Feb, to 15 degrees. No snow to speak of.

Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens   Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens   Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens   Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens   Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens

mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2014
11:48 PM

Post #9846642

Of all these seeds, I only got a few Pines, which were planted in the soda bottle, and 3 Dierama, in opaque milk jug. Kind of a bust! I will try again next winter though. I have a cleaning lady who uses lots of vinegar, and she is saving me the jugs. They seem sturdier and not opaque!
p.s. I know I can't really keep Dierama here, having tried 3 times-anyone want them?

Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens   Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens   Thumbnail by mlmlakestevens      

Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
8:49 AM

Post #9846889

I'm so sorry MLM, I'm not getting much better results using the container method. It's probably due to the harsh winter we had (bad timing for a newbie). I love Dierama , so wish I could take it but its a zone 8 plant and I'm a zone 6...drat!

Wishing us both much better luck with next spring results.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2014
10:07 AM

Post #9846961

I comiserate; but am also glad to know that it is not just me. I have so few seedlings from my winter sowing. I need to look up my records to see which did sprout, and pot them up.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
11:06 AM

Post #9847025

Marty, commiseration accepted and reciprocated. Hopefully you'll try again with better luck or a better winter!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
12:37 PM

Post #9847090

From the Vote Pile ,) Major Fail here) Well Poo ...
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
1:05 PM

Post #9847104

Your attempts failed Ju? Suddenly I don't feel quite as sad...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
1:09 PM

Post #9847112

Yes my winter sow cans in Back , 12 of them not a plant , two types of plants sprouted , then died ..
Poppies , and Coneflowers , in the wintersown sprouters , is all I have from winter sow .
Got some Great Herbs (weeds) all around the yard though ...
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
4:13 PM

Post #9847274

Sad to know you've had tough luck too but, not as sad as I was 'cause I'm in good company. Knowing things were a bust for seasoned WS'ers makes me think there's still hope for me. Just thought I better splain myself rather than let you think I was happy about your poo. lol.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2014
4:19 PM

Post #9847276

LOL ,, It all goes good in the Garden , eventually , I will recover ,you will recover , all here will recover ,, and another season will happen .
I got three Bela Lugosi Daylily crosses also ,, but that's it ,, three successes and about 17 fails ,, Grrrrr goes with that !!!
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2014
8:52 PM

Post #9847517

Marty, Mipii -thanks for the commiseration, but I am not a seasoned winter sower, this was my first try. But you are right, I actually feel slightly less bad knowing juhur and Marty had problems this year too. I will try again!
juhur-You never know, one of the three might be just what you are hoping for, and then you could have fun finding a 'horror-ible' name!
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2014
4:35 AM

Post #9847578

And what would we do if all our seedlings succeeded? i don't have time or space for that many plants. And I am terrible at thinning things. I pull out my radish seedlings that are too close and stick them in a new finger made hole immediately. Sometimes it even works! HeHe.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

June 3, 2014
8:03 AM

Post #9857462

I had the same problems too .The basil seeds only gave me 3 plants , got lots of pansies , the petunias and the cardinal flower still very small , the Delphi and the cockscomb still need to get a bit taller and stronger to be transplanted . To my great surprise I got one white hibiscus and two white swan coneflower to germinate but still not big enough to be transplanted. so I guess I can thank my lucky stars . Who said WS is was as easy as kissing hands.LOL

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2014
8:17 AM

Post #9857479

mlmlakestevens; from earlier , like ; Hey Mom ,Hey Mom, Hey Mom, Mom replies ; Yes Brattella..

or perhaps ; Ruetesta ...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2014
11:19 AM

Post #9859862

OK, I think I will go with "summer sowing" as I got so really nice plants from those sown last August...pansies, foxglove (loads), daisies, hollyhocks. Some other seeds did not germinate, so I will try so more this coming summer.

I covered them with a "close weave" black nursery flat. That seemed to do the trick as previously I could not imagine sowing anything in summer and having them germinate or survive after they did.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2014
11:29 AM

Post #9859876

Summertime heat and all ,, Gets T-O-U-G-H ,, it does !!!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2014
11:40 AM

Post #9859886

That's what I thought...but it worked! I read that summer was the best time to sow certain plants, especially pansies. I could not imagine them surviving, especially with me.

The foxgloves are now large and ready to plant, so I had better get out there. I have already planted some. They are in full sun for most of the day. I will place them in the shadier parts of the gardens.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America