Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Beautiful Flowers and Plants

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 15, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Prachi123
West Chester, PA

October 31, 2013
12:47 AM

Post #9698812

hello friends,

I am new member of this forum and hope i could learn and share something new about the flowers and plants. I love flowers and plants a lot. In fact i love to know about unique plants. If anyone have something to share anything special about it please share it with me. I'll love to know about it.

Thank you.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 31, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9698887

Welcome to the Dave's Gardening Site Prachi, you will learn everything you need to know about plants / shrubs, and the care of ALL depending on where you live, your soil type and how much time you want to spend working in / on your new gardening hobby.

To begin with, when your asking a question as you just have, you need to be a little bit more specific about the subject as were all gardeners but mind reading is not my strong point LOL.

Finding a UNIQUE is going to be different things for different people I'm sure, MY most favourite and beautiful plant that grows well for my soil and environment is an easy answer, it's a Lily bulb and the form of flower here in UK is called *Star Gazer* this beautiful perfumed flowering bulb sends out the most exotic looking deep PINK perfumed flowers that only last a few days, I look in amazement that nature can send out this flower year after year every summer (early) and ask for nothing in return except a little water a pinch of plant feed / Manure etc, and some sunshine, worth waiting a whole year for the next flush of flowers.

I have several favourite plants ranging from Rhododendrons, Lilies, Trees, Camelia's and many more so answering your question is for me, quite difficult but BOY, if I had the space I could make a whole list a mile long as each one is wonderful for all different reasons and look's, others I love but cant grow here in Scotland bur love traveling so find new plant's every trip, I think you may find the same answer will appear time and time again as most hobby gardeners have a wide range of favourite plants growing with love just for them OH and many others, that's what we all have in common on this site and am sure you will love it too.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2013
8:04 AM

Post #9699002

I love lilies of all kinds and lots of other things as well. Some of my most "unique" plants are succulents. Are you most interested in indoor plants or plants for outdoors?
Prachi123
West Chester, PA

November 1, 2013
2:54 AM

Post #9699476

Hi,
I also love lilies of all kinds and i love its mild fragrance. And i wanted know more about succulents i mean i don't have any idea about this plant so give me knowledge about it.
And i am interested in both indoor as well as outdoor plants.
Thank you.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2013
1:55 PM

Post #9699782

One of the nicest plants I learned about from an active gardener is sedum. I have purchased it and planted it about three growing seasons ago (2 years). It has proven to be a wonderful succulent. It starts growing early in the season, shows lots of early buds but tends to bloom late even though the buds are colorful throughout August.

My idea of a unique plant is one that does not grow around here. I love tropical plants, and among my favorites are caladium. The growers ship the bulbs when they see it is warm enough for your area, and the soil must be at least 55 degrees or the bulbs will rot. What a colorful show they put on.

Lilies are among my favorites, lots of unusual varieties. For bulbs that winter well in your area (same as mine), you can try alliums, and you will be pleased. Other bulbs that winter well are tulips, daffodils, muscari. When it comes to "unique," you can always find a variety that is unusual, even among the most common types of plants.

Check out the bulb forum, begonias, dahlias, succulents, container gardening, cottage gardening and shade gardens and read as many posts as you can. They are invaluable.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2013
2:54 PM

Post #9699810

Bluestone perennials has a 50% reduction on their alliums right now. So you can pick up some wonderful ones at a great savings.

Jan
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9700717

Meadowyck, I just looked at Bluestone's site, and forgot to mention clematis, which is a wonderful flowering climber with lots of unusual varieties. Also baptisia, platycodon (balloon flower), ferns and hellebores in shade areas.

Don't forget to take into consideration soil and sunlight conditions. True lilies (not daylilies) do not have heavy water needs, but they do not like wet feet and must have good drainage. Also among my favorites with lots of unique varieties are peonies, roses and heuchera (coral bells).
Prachi123
West Chester, PA

November 7, 2013
4:48 AM

Post #9703958

Thanks Cathy!!!!
I have heard about alliums that it is so lovely. Is That true?
And hey what is that Balloon flowers? i have never heard it before. I want to know more about it.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9704125

Check out
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72/
which has the flowers open

and
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/120819/
which shows the unopened buds and why it is called balloon flower.

Plant them once and after a year or two they will make a nice showing. Just make certain you plant at least 3 or 4 plants strategically, and they will fill in nicely. They grow to be about 30-40 inches.

The first photo is platycodon/balloon flower. I like blue the best, and they grow among the purple coneflowers. They are fullest in July and August. Most of mine were here when we moved in, but I think they spread slowly, and for me they are not invasive.

The second is a bit unusual, nasturtium. Unusual foliage but not rare in any way. Third is an ensata iris, a little different than what most people expect and make a beautiful show. I think they were out in early to mid- July and put on a magnificent show. Each stem had 3-5 buds that tend to bloom one at a time.

Fourth and fifth are peonies. Fourth is a tree peony. This one happens to be bicolor, but tree peonies are definitely unique. They tend to bloom early to mid-May.

The fifth is a single peony. You are probably more accustomed to seeing full, double peonies that have heavy blooms. There are a number of single-type/Japanese/bombe that are delicious. Their bloom time is generally late May to early June.

Except for nasturtiums, which are pretty much annuals, these plants are all perennials and come up every year and seldom need much care. You will find that perennials tend to bloom only once or possibly twice in a season.

The payoff on annuals is that they tend to bloom (or stay colorful) all season long once they become mature.

There are variants in there: bulbs that go dormant, etc., so I don't want you to think that is all there is.

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166
Click an image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2013
8:41 PM

Post #9704470

cathy166 just beautiful flowers, incredible, I love them all, you have excellent taste in flowers...LOL

Jan
Prachi123
West Chester, PA

November 8, 2013
11:06 PM

Post #9705104

Wow Cathy. This flowers are looking so lovely. I loved all the flowers.
And i must say you have great knowledge about flowers and plants. And that ensata iris is looking damn beautiful. I want to know that in which month we can plant this iris flower??
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9705494

Pretty sure the ensatas came from Costco in the spring about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't recall if they were plants, rhizomes or bulbs. I prefer them to tall bearded iris. Somehow I think they might be sold as wetlands irises, but are not in a particularly wet area.

The Dutch iris were small bulbs and bloomed only 1 or 2 seasons, but I have had good luck with all the others. While we order some bulbs, we purchase most of the bulbs at Costco as soon as they arrive. The bags are all the same price. The cheapest bulbs have 50-100 bulbs per bag. The most expensive, like the large alliums and fritillaria come with about 4 per bag. That is the only place I will get bulbs locally. I find that the other big box stores are unreliable at best with quality, content and damage.

The first two photos are reticulated (dwarf) irises that bloom in early March. They are 4-6 inches high, and when the foliage comes out, it is tubular, 3-sided and continues to grow long after the blooms are gone. That last three are all ensatas, but not the same plant. Some are fuller than others. I will say that the white ensatas are not so dramatic.

They did not post in the correct order, but I think you can tell which are the dwarf irises, and they are really blue.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2013 4:05 PM

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166
Click an image for an enlarged view.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2013
6:38 PM

Post #9705651

just incredible shots of your irises just love them.

I grew to love the dwarf irises and ensatas iris when I lived in northern Ohio. But now that I'm back home in FL, I'm in zone 9a do you think I can grow them here?

Jan
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2013
8:12 AM

Post #9705894

Meadowyck, I'd have to do some research on the ensatas.

This may help with the dwarf irises:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/790/
My biggest concern is that they are such early bloomers after our cold winters. They are shown as zone 3-9b.

If you bring up this page, look at the plant files (in addition to the articles).
http://davesgarden.com/sitewidesearch.php?q=ensata iris
When you select them in the plant files, it certainly appears that they would work for your zone.

On some of the bulb threads, I can see that some gardeners in warmer areas refrigerate their bulbs as soon as they arrive.

Let me know how you do.
Marcia

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2013
8:34 PM

Post #9707142

I will for sure be checking into them. Thank you so much for taking time to look up and prove links for me, so kind of you.

Jan
Prachi123
West Chester, PA

November 14, 2013
4:04 AM

Post #9708729

Hey thanks a lot for all your replies with great information. you are so kind.
Once again thank you do much. Now i have pretty knowledge regarding ensata iris.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America