AuthorContent
PikkuFarmHill
Southwest, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9699109

Hello!
I work at a plant nursery in Southwest WA State and a customer brought in what she believes are Blue Lake Pole bean seeds but isn't entirely sure. The pods are dried now and the beans within them are dried as well. However, having no information about what they looked like when they were *growing* (other than being green beans that produced for a long season in the Pacific NW), I'm not sure what to tell her. Does anyone have suggestions about how to go about identifying these beans?
I can see about possibly taking a picture and posting it here. But so many different varieties of green pole bean seeds look the same I'm not sure it will help. :-)

Thanks,
Hillary
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9699132

You ar e correct, It is next to impossible to identify beans from thier seed,. There are just too many varieties with similar appearence. Blue Lake pole is a white seeded variety, but it is not alone as a white seeded pole bean.
PikkuFarmHill
Southwest, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9699136

Thank you very much for your affirmation. I thought I was probably correct in my assumption but it's nice to have some back-up. :-) I certainly don't want to lie to the customer, but I also know that she's going to want an answer, gosh darnit.

Thanks for the help!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9699169

Best recommendation I can make is that, since you do have a guess what they are, the customer can plant the seed they have next year along with some Blue Lake Pole beans and see if they grow identical.

If the only reason to identify the beans is to grow more like it, just plant the seed that has been saved. Beans very rarely cross.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2013
9:52 PM

Post #9699431

Ditto: The only way is to plant them and see what grows.
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9707022

I say that growing them next to true Blue Lake Pole beans will not give you a true indicator if they are the same variety. There are many varieties out there that will look almost identical. I would not trust this method.

You live in a very beautiful part of the country. My wife and I vacationed in western WA in 2012 and really enjoyed it. We are vacationing in western OR next year but will cross the state line to hit up the other part of St. Helen's that we didn't get to see on our last trip. The 2012 vacation will go down in the top 3 vacations ever in our lives. It may even be ranked number 1 before it's all said and done.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9718793

Blue Lake pole been seed is cheap eat what you have buy new bean seed next spring then save that if you want.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America