AuthorContent
LMHmedchem
Boston, MA
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2013
8:38 AM

Post #9699631

Hello,

I am trying to winter over a couple of my pepper plants indoors. They have been inside for more than a week and are doing alright. They are sitting in a window, but it is south facing and only gets a reasonable amount of sun. I don't have any other options about where to put these, so I was wondering about a grow light to help out a bit.

I have seen allot of led bulbs for regular lamps that are combinations of red and blue leds. Do these work? i have also seen sodium bulbs and some other types.

What should I get for this? How long would it have to be on per day? Would I have it on in the morning, or afternoon?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9699791

DIY Light Stand... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/48/

Have Home Depot/Lowes cut your shelves...get some eye hooks, ess hooks, and jack chain, and suspend the 2- or 4-light fluorescent shop light kit underneath each shelf... You can install two 2-light kits side x side, or go with a single 4-light kit...

Cinder blocks at HD or Lowes...or, save some $$ and scrounge around for your materials. I just painted my entire light stand to coordinate with the room they're in -- curtains and all, LOL!

No special bulbs necessary. Regular old T12s...works like a charm, although, the Box stores are sort of forcing you to purchase the new T8 or T5 kits, which are much more expensive. I paid $10 apiece for my 2-light kits. Check Craigslist or Freecycle for boards, blocks and shop lights. This doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg...

A picture of mine in action below...

You can set two blocks on top of each other for a wider space between your shelves. For established plants like your bells, I'd recommend leaving the lights on 8-10 hours/day. The fluorescent lights don't draw much on the electricity...

I just built the simple pvc light stand in the following YouTube video...roughly $12 for 2 lengths of the pvc and the couplings.

Instead of the one 4-light kit like mhpgardener shows ($50 at Home Depot), I cut a sheet of plyboard to fit the space, and affixed two of my 2-light kits side x side to the plyboard, then suspended that from the overhead bar. I already have sixteen, 2-light kits - no need to purchase a 4-light kit!

PVC Light Stand: Check out the video at 4:47...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYpn2Md9eA

Light kits on plyboard, Part 1: Check it out at 3:40...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAKP9yaZksY&list=PLCxrB0SIHkCXRG1u737Kzj9Ixyy7nL3bZ

Linda

This message was edited Nov 1, 2013 4:35 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9699819

I also like a CFL in a brooder fixture for a plant or two.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 2, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9700356

Plants use certain of the blue wavelengths and certain of the reds.
Our eyes see the yellows and greens better.

"Ordinary ol' bulbs" are designed for office, house and so on, where people are using them. They are higher in the yellows and greens, not so much reds and blues.

"Plant bulbs" will be higher in the reds and blues that plants use. If we used them for lighting then they would look sort of dim, and the blend has something of a purple-pink tone. Since they have little or no yellow and green wavelengths the things they light up look weird, not normal color. PAR is a rating that tells you how much of the light the bulbs produce is good for plants. High PAR rating for less watts of electricity is the best lighting for plants. Putting a high quality plant bulb in a rotten reflector is another bad move. Much of the light you are paying for gets scattered away from the plants. Look into the best reflector, too.

I think you could go either way:
The sun provides a lot of the light. Perhaps adding something with a spectrum aimed at people would be just the little extra they need. This would also provide lighting for you in that part of the house.

Maybe the sun is not all they need, in which case I would look into the PAR rating of the bulbs and fixtures you are looking at.

Here is one way to do this on a budget:
Home Depot has some 4' long reflectors that look like shiny diamond plate. These are VERY good reflectors for the money.
Put some bulbs in them (T-8 fluorescent) that will be high in the wave lengths the plants need. Perhaps a 'daylight' and a 'plant' bulb, or a couple of 'plant' bulbs.
Set these up over a 4' long shelf, on chains. Lower the chains when the plants are small, and raise the fixture as the plants grow, keeping it about 3-6" above the plants.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9700434

T12 light fixture = $10

T8 or T5 light fixture = $50

Case of ten T12 replacement bulbs = $20...

Case of ten T8 or T5 replacement bulbs = $40-$50...

Seedlings that grow just fine under the T12s then reward you with gorgeous veggies anyways = PRICELESS...

Hugs!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2013
2:01 PM

Post #9700439

All started from seeds under cheap, $2 fluorescent shop lights...

P.S. I keep my lights 1-2" from the tops of the seedlings...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LMHmedchem
Boston, MA
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9700605

One of my biggest issues is space. I probably have room for 1-2 single bulb lights. I was hoping that I could get a bulb something like,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111147028871?lpid=82
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281188696272?lpid=82

And put it in a clamp light like,
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/portable-work-lights/Flashlights-Clamping/clamp-light-with-aluminum-reflector-sl300pdq6-silver-6pk?infoParam.campaignId=T9A&gclid=CKX6n_2-x7oCFYZa3godZj4Awg

I have a book case next to the plants that I could clip the light to. If a simple T12 fluorescent will work, I cold look for a short one. The issue would be about how to mount it.

Would something like I described above be worth trying? How long in the day should I run such a light?

I think these plants will get 4-5 hours a day of decent sun, plus whatever they get from the room lighting.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

LMHmedchem
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9700640

That is basically the set up I described above except that I suggested a CFL, MUCH more light. I recommend a brooder lamp because it is much better built that a utility light like the one you show. It is about the same cost though many don't have switches.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg%3B-brooder-lamp?cm_vc=-10005

When I've run one for supplement light I usually had it on from just before sunset to 9pm or so. It mostly was based on when I was around to turn it on and when I wanted the room to be dark. I had an awesome petunia with such a set up.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2013
8:02 PM

Post #9700651

LMHmedchem - Lots of good information here, and for what it's worth I grow seedlings in the spring under regular shop lights with common fluorescent bulbs with good success.

But based upon my experience, since you can put your pepper plants by south-facing windows all winter - I don't think they'll need artificial lights. I've kept a big pot of Maui Purple Pepper plants going for 12-14 years now, on our outdoor deck during the warm months and in the house by a south-facing window during the cold months. They thrive that way, always have, and our house has wide overhanging eaves and large oak trees in the yard to the south, which cut down even more on sunlight reaching the plants.

No, I'm not saying the same pepper plants lived all those years - the individual plants seem to live about 2 or 3 years, then they die and I pull them up. But the plants constantly re-seed from peppers that get dropped on the soil in that pot, so they just keep going. They've never needed any additional light at all.
LMHmedchem
Boston, MA
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9701540

So it looks like I will go with something like this,

JobSmart Brooder Lamp ($10)
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg;-brooder-lamp?cm_vc=-10005

Hydrofarm Dayspot CFL 26W/65K, Equivalent To 100W($10)
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/electrical/bulbs/specialty-bulbs/dayspot-cfl-26w65k-equivalent-to-100w

What it the wattage I am looking for here? The bulb above is 60W, but there are lower wattage versions as well. Do I need a full spectrum "Hydroponic" CFL, or will any CFL give the same results?

Thanks again,

LMHmedchem

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9701757

I used a 26 watt ordinary GE CFL I bought from Walmart. They were 6 for $13 if I remember correctly. The petunias that I had flowered very happily.
LMHmedchem
Boston, MA
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9701877

I have a GE "Reveal" 75W (a 20W that replaces a 75W) in there right now. The lamp is about 3 feet away from the two plants.

Both plants still have small peppers on them. Should I remove those at this point?

LMHmedchem
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9705598

One thing I've noticed is the cool spectrum shop lites work great for seedling and plant growth and the warm spectrum lites induce flowering and fruit set. That's what I've read, also. But as Ozark posted I have many indoor pepper plants that overwinter with nothing but the sunlight coming thru the windows. If you have a 2 bulb fixture you can always use one of each.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9705940

Here are our warm-weather "deck plants", now living indoors for the winter - dwarf lemon tree, pot of rosemary, pot of hot peppers.

They get a little direct sunlight on sunny mornings like today, but not for long. You can kind of see through the windows that our house is shaded by big oak and hickory trees - we live in our own woods.

That pot of pepper plants has been going for years like this with no problems. I know from past winters that the current crop of peppers will dry up and be dropping next month. Then in January the plants will bloom, and we'll have a new bunch of hot peppers, indoors, in March. Those are real welcome as they have good flavor as well as being incredibly hot - I use them to put the "heat" in all kinds of dishes.

I've never found any need to provide extra light to indoor pepper plants, except when I'm raising seedlings in the spring, of course..

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America