Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: CLOSED: juvenile American Coot?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9701992

sorry this picture is of a dead bird. it hit a power line along our road front. it has a white beak but no red coloring or white shield above the beak.

Thumbnail by trackinsand   Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9702022

Yes, poor Thing. Juveniles go through a gray phase where they don't look like coots, but the toes are American Coot toes.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2013
5:26 PM

Post #9702048

Yep, ditto.

Yet another example of why power lines should really be underground.

Resin

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9702075

thank you and i agree whole-heartedly about the power lines. this is the third bird i've found under the lines...a Great Blue Heron and a Grebe ( http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056295/ ). i can't even imagine how many thousands must die each year.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9702444

I have heard that touching on one line won't electrocute someone - that you have to touch two lines. A birds wingspan might do this. However, if you are getting a lot of birds under one particular part of the lines, I would call the power company. It sounds like a short or something that they ought to deal with anyway.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9702452

no, it's not a short. these lines are very high and all three birds had broken wings. they actually hit the line. i think you can see the contact point in my first picture. these wouldn't be the kind of birds who sit on the lines like doves, etc. the birds who do sit on them aren't harmed in any way.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9702621

Yep, it's the collision, not the electricity, that kills them. If they hit a twig on a tree, the twig is flexible enough that the bird woudn't be harmed, but a taught wire is another matter altogether. Conversely, a twig thick enough to be rigid would be more easily visible, and be avoided.

Resin

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America