-
AuthorContent
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9703792

Ok so I need help picking what flower I want to grow next year.

I am looking for something that grows fast and is easy to care for. I want a plant that gets large or very large, prefer it has huge or showy leaves, and large and showy flowers, or many smaller but colorful flowers. Also something that re seeds easily.

It can be annual or perennial and a wildflower or cultivated flower.

I'm not sure what would fit my specification.
mitchesgarden
cornwall, ON
(Zone 4b)

November 7, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9704436

Hi Keith I know it doesn't have large showy leaves, but lavatera puts on a big show all summer, the seeds are easy to collect and very easy to start. I had some pink ones planted next to some pink roses in my front yard this year and they kept blooming right through to about 3 weeks ago and that was when it dropped to -6 degrees C.(well below freezing). People kept commenting about how beautiful my roses were but it was the pink lavatera that was putting on the show. I have found the pink ones put on the biggest show whereas the white ones are a smaller flower and the plant is smaller in height and bushiness also. Just a thought. Good luck. Sandra
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9705719

mitchesgarden wrote:Hi Keith I know it doesn't have large showy leaves, but lavatera puts on a big show all summer, the seeds are easy to collect and very easy to start. I had some pink ones planted next to some pink roses in my front yard this year and they kept blooming right through to about 3 weeks ago and that was when it dropped to -6 degrees C.(well below freezing). People kept commenting about how beautiful my roses were but it was the pink lavatera that was putting on the show. I have found the pink ones put on the biggest show whereas the white ones are a smaller flower and the plant is smaller in height and bushiness also. Just a thought. Good luck. Sandra

Those are beautiful but I already have many flowers in the Hibiscus family and am looking for something different.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9707803

Salvia leucantha (Mexican bush sage) grows 3 - 3.5' tall and wide but doesn't get blooming until around August. Well worth the wait in my mind. This is my first year with it so I don't know if it would self-seed or not.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brendak654

brendak654
Anna, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9722790

How about the orange cosmo. They grow about 5 feet tall and have loads of orange showie blooms. They easily reseed and start blooming much earlier than other cosmo. They have a fernlike foliage. Here are some of mine, to give you an idea what they look like. They bloom and bloom. The tall celosia would maybe be another good one, but I don't think the blooms are that showie. I have seed if you need.

Thumbnail by brendak654
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2013
2:19 PM

Post #9722818

The cosmos are also great in fall when you can watch the goldfinches dive bombing to get the seeds!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America