Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Something Killing my Esperanza's (yellow bells)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TxTuffy
New Berlin, TX

November 7, 2013
4:36 AM

Post #9703943

Our new house has about 10 beautiful Esperanza plants, each 4-6 feet tall. They have bloomed all summer and I have kept the buds nipped so they would continue to bloom. However, over the past month, the largest one started to die when I notice there was a brown fuzzy type of growth growing on it. This growth is on the leaves, branches, seed pods, even on the base of the flowers. I cut the plant to the base and put it in our burn pit to burn. This same stuff is now growing on several other of the plant. Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it without having to cut them all down. They are still blooming profusely, so I hate to see them go. Thanks!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9704034

A photo would help in determining what it is.
bluetexasbonnie
Geronimo, TX

December 22, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9732646

Hello New Berlin from Geronimo!

I have not noticed any brown fuzzy kind of growths on plants down here along 123. A picture would definitely be helpful. Even better, cut some of it off and take it into Green Gate in Seguin, or Shades of Green in San Antonio. Both are run by extremely knowledgeable people.

Esperanza is tough. If you haven't already, cut them all to the ground. They will come back next spring. This looks like a cold winter and they will probably freeze to the ground anyway. No reason to wait on the cutting. They will quickly regrow to their 6 feet next spring and be loaded with flowers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America