Photo by Melody

Seed Germination: potting bench set up? how are you set up?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 10, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wonderearth
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9704719

Hi,
I'm trying to set up my potting bench so that i can easily access the potting soil underneath.
i'm looking for a way to put it on something that rolls easily but wont collect rain water as it is outside.
Any other ideas for storing small amounts of soil additions that would make them easy access would be great too! My bench is a tell redwood table 3x4ft with space underneath and a small shelf i set on top.
Thanks!
Lydia
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9704963

Here's a post on potting benches. Maybe you will be able to gleam some ideas from it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1091078/

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9704970

I don't have any GOOD ideas, but here's what I have.

I save the jugs that liquid laundry detergent came in. I get all the soap out by letting them sit full of water overnight, dump and re-fill, repeat. Then I cut the bottoms off to make a big scoop with a handle.

If I want to "aim" the scoop of soilless mix accurately, for example filling plug trays or small pots, I take the screw-cap off and pour as if through a funnel.

The flexible edges let me get the few crumbs of soil, or serve as a straight edge to level trays of cells.

I store components in the same 2-cubic-foot bags they came in, but usually not more than half full. That way, the tops fold over and keep the rain out, at least if I lay something on top to keep them from blowing.

If the bag is less than 1/2 full, it's light enough to pick up with one or both hands.

Otherwise I would look for a short plastic garbage can with two wheels. If it was too tall to fit under your bench, maybe cut some of the top off. But that would be too bad: otherwise, the snap-lid would have kept rain out.

If Goodwill has cheap used skateboards or scooters or play wagons, you might be able to put a DIY wheeled platform under some sturdy container.
wonderearth
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9705274

Hey you are awesome! I love these ideas! Thank you!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9707751

Let us know how it comes out? Maybe a photo?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9712162

I use metal cans with lids. You can get them in different sizes. I just sit them out, not under the bench. I have pots and trays and smaller bagged stuff under the bench. Also it's a good place to put your tools out of the weather.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9726387

For the good stuff, I use a plastic tote/tub with a lid. I admit it is heavy when full and It doesn't roll. For the odds and ends of cheaper stuff or custom mixes, I use the largest black plastic pots I have (recycled from nursery trees and shrubs). I tape the holes with duct tape, and if I am serious about keeping it moist, I line it with a plastic bag. Then I stack them - So the only one that needs a serious lid is the top one. Here I struggle to keep things moist, not dry - this may not work as well in a wet climate.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2013
6:30 PM

Post #9730388

>> I use the largest black plastic pots I have (recycled from nursery trees and shrubs). I tape the holes with duct tape,

Yeah! Re-use! Great!

>> plastic tote/tub with a lid. ... It doesn't roll.

you might want to extend its life the same way I protect my 5 gallon water jugs. At the well, I have to set them down on concrete and I don't want the rims to be scratched and eroded, or they will be the first spot to leak. So I put some narrow strips of Gorilla tape where they rest on the concrete so the plastic doesn't scratch.

If you have to drag your tubs over a rough surface or partly-buried rocks, a wide strip of duct tape on one short edge or two corners might protect that tub and give it extra years of life.

Or set it on a thick tarp and drag the tarp.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9730398

Good tip. I do slide the tub on concrete to get it out and put it away. I hadn't thought about the wear and tear.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9733875

It might be slow damage, but I bet that's why a lot of plastic things fail at the corners or edges. They get "sanded" thinner where they touch the ground the most.
wonderearth
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2014
7:50 AM

Post #9751116

Interesting folks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America