Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Is this a mite that could cause further damage?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
towler
faicchio
Italy

November 8, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9704877

I found this insect on a wilting flower bud. The bud had a white web like covering, when I removed it this little creature appeared. The photographs are not very good as I have extreme difficulty holding the camera steady.
Hoping a member can help.

Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler   Thumbnail by towler
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

November 8, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9705025

Not a mite, but an insect; likely the immature stage (crawler) of a scale insect - see http://dkbdigitaldesigns.com/clm/sites/default/files/images/CLM-9599.jpg for an image of crawlers leaving the egg mass under a female scale insect. These usually can be controlled with an insecticidal soap.
towler
faicchio
Italy

November 9, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9705162

Thank you Flapdoodle. I was hoping to be able to tag this little fellow with it's scientific name, thus allowing me to read information from Wikipedia or Google. Thank you for the link.

ilv2grdn

ilv2grdn
Cross Timbers, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9705253

What you have are mealy bugs, Pseudococcidae. http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/mealybugs
They are usually covered in a white fuzzy substance. Their eggs are contained in that and they leave it behind, sticking to tender new growth. They can do a lot of damage if you have a infestation.

If I ever see any white fuzz on anything, I'll just smash it with my fingers. I don't even take the time to find if that's what it is or not. I might find one once in a while, but I've never had an infestation. A spray of rubbing alcohol will kill them but it can also burn some tender plants. They also attack house plants.

Good luck!
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

November 9, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9705270

After re-examining the images, I believe that ilv2grdn likely is more more correct - I had considered mealybugs as well, but was put off by their relative lack of vestiture - see http://www.spain-info.co.uk/gardening/mealy-bugs-3.jpg for a more typical example. Nevertheless, control measures would be about the same as for scale insects.
towler
faicchio
Italy

November 9, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9705395

I thank ilv2grdn and Flapdoodle for their valued information and links.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America