Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Hornet's Nest?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9707025

Now that leaves have dropped, I was surprised this afternoon to see this thing high up in a maple tree in our back yard. It's big, about 18" from top to bottom, and it's about 35' off the ground.

Thing is, this is only a few feet away from our patio where we spend a lot of time barbecuing, etc., in the warm months. I'm very surprised to see it because we really didn't notice many stinging insects around there this summer. OK, there's a big wisteria vine shading the patio and bumblebees were thick on those blossoms when it bloomed, but I know bumblebees nest in the ground. We often see a few mud-dauber wasps under our eaves, but they're building their little mud-tube structures - not this.

Insects aren't very active now, of course - but WHAT BUILT THIS, and will they cause a problem next spring? I'd be happy to leave it alone if it was further from the house, but I don't know if I can. Just getting rid of it would be a problem, there's no way I can reach it. I think I'd have to wait for a cold day to be sure nothing comes swarming out, then blast it (quite a few times) with a shotgun. I hate to do that. What am I up against here, and can I safely live-and-let-live and leave it alone? Thanks.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9707082

wow, classic paper hornet nest.
My hubby had one in a tree many years ago. He and his buddies drove up to it in a car and tried to knock it down with a softball…it got more comical from there..and they were just on their lunch hour, no alcohol involved.
That's so far off the ground, I guess that is why they didn't feel the need to announce themselves to you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America