-
AuthorContent
drdawg43
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9707428

I have grown several large bushes of Trinidad Scorpion pepper plants. Before we get a hard freeze tomorrow and again on Thursday, I went ahead and picked a gallon of them. Unfortunately I planted them too late for them to turn red (I grew them for a friend who had seeds). I think they are at their hottest when they are red colored. Most of mine are still green and a few are yellow-orange. They are all good size though, about the diameter of a half dollar.

Has anyone actually tasted this pepper? If so, how hot are they? IF really, really hot, is there a practical use for them.

Ken in NE Mississippi

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9707544

I haven't tried that particular pepper, but at 1,200,000-1,400,000 Scoville heat units it qualifies as nearly the hottest there is. Do NOT cut these up or process with your bare hands!

Super hot peppers do well dehydrated and chopped or powdered for recipes, pickled for a spicy condiment, or turned into hot sauce. And I'd only make the hot sauce in a very well ventilated area... like outside over a propane burner.

The reality is most people cultivate these super hot varieties as a curiosity, not for actual eating. This variety is apparently used to create tear gas. Yum.

P.S. Apparently it IS the hottest known/verified pepper there is: it's currently the Guinness World Record Holder.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/hottest-chili/
drdawg43
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9707605

Thanks for the info, Nicole. Tear gas, huh.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9708436

Outdoors, safety glasses, rubber gloves
drdawg43
Starkville, MS
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2013
2:32 PM

Post #9708446

One of my dental assistant's mother loves to eat raw peppers, the hotter the better. She is Vietnamese and says she has never found a pepper she could not eat. I took a large batch of these 'Scorpions' to the assistant today (with a large warning taped to the outside of the bag). It will be interesting to see IF she is able to eat even a small pinch.

P.S. I am a retired dentist but still keep in touch with my office staff.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America