CLOSED: Unknown Insect bit/stung me

Vidette, GA

I was recently stung/bitten by an insect I cannot identify this month (Nov 2013). It was hiding under the ledge in my home on a bench. Then a week later i found one in my shed on the window. The sting left one red dot and burned like fire for about 20 minutes. I have trapped this second one but I still would like to know what I am dealing with for when i contact pest control. Its body reminds me of a mosquito, shrimp or lobster. But its stinger is somewhat barbed and darker at the tip. The insect from a distance appears light green but upon closer inspection its more of a yellowish tan with brown markings at the bends of its legs.

This message was edited Nov 12, 2013 5:10 PM

Thumbnail by curiouslady
Minot, ND

This is a nymph of an assassin bug in the genus Zelus. They are general predators on other small arthropods, and thus usually considered beneficial - no need to call a pest controller. The pain from their 'bite' (actually more of a stab) is caused by enzymes in their saliva that serve to break down the tissues of their victims.

Vidette, GA

Thank you so much for the information. It actually really scared me since I had never encountered one before and the pain was quite severe. I appreciate your time and knowledge. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.