Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

ground cover, weed, tuber roots, in S. Florida

Cape Coral, FL

This weed is growing everywhere in our gardens, every time we build a new bed this weed creeps along to be the first contender of occupying the land. Can anyone Identify it?

Thumbnail by SeekingNirvana Thumbnail by SeekingNirvana
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

is there any smell to the leaves? square stems? any flowers?

something about it reminds me of Barleria repens: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57323/

i had it everywhere when i lived down south.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2013 7:13 PM

Cottage Grove, OR(Zone 8a)

Reminds me of four o-clocks (Mirabilis jalapa) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92/#b

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

Me too, but I don't think Mirabilis have roots like that.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

eventually a Mirabilis will have a big root/tuber that looks like a coconut...huge.

Cape Coral, FL

Thanks for those ideas, but sorry It is neither of the two.. It isn't lamiaceae, no square stem, no blooms that I've ever seen, no particular smell either. I want to eat these little tubers though, someone may stumble upon this thread.... :)

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

They look like Mirabilis jalapa to me.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

the usual four clocks wouldn't creep along. Some other relative? what zone? I hesitate to guess in places where tropical things are a possibility.

Cape Coral, FL

here are a few more photos. Getting more and more curious! :P

Thumbnail by SeekingNirvana Thumbnail by SeekingNirvana Thumbnail by SeekingNirvana Thumbnail by SeekingNirvana
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

They look like four o'clock tubers to me, too. I did a google search for images of tubers for this plant and I believe they match. You might do the same and see what you think.

The poster denies the four o clocks. She/he would have had to intentionally grow four clocks in the past in order to have this quantity of sprouts ready to come up or dormant seeds always ready to sprout. I've grown four oclocks and seen the single large tubers under full size plants.

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Can you take a pic of any part of it that shows creeping? Are these new garden areas reclaimed from mowing?

Cape Coral, FL

The garden areas use to be grass there in the rock bed, but I removed all soil, and put about 70% shell mix back in place.. they hopped right in from the fenceline where there were some apparently going unnoticed.. they are everywhere, just only noticeable in the gardens where we 'showcase' them :P I will try to get a photo of their growing nature. the tubers are always small though, and never ever have seen a bloom. I have 4 'oclock growing in Georgia, and they look nothing of the same, the leaves of this weed are much hardier as well, and can handle being walked lightly. Thank you I will come back with a photo

Cottage Grove, OR(Zone 8a)

Because it reminds me of both vinca and dogbane, I'm wondering if it could be in that family (Apocynaceae). Could be totally wrong, of course!

I'm not seeing Apocynaceae in those jointed looking stems..but I could be totally wrong! The stems look like Mirabilis to me; its the creeping style that has me baffled.

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm not clear if it's creeping or re-seeding. Creeping would imply they entities are connected in some way.

Cape Coral, FL

i'm trying to find out if they travel and are all connected in the root system.. it seems that way, sorry haven't had time to get more info and take more pics...

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Send an email and include a few pictures of the plant to your local university extension office - they can i.d. it for you.

Here is their contact information:

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/contact_us.shtml

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

According to Wikipedia, there are several dozen species in the genus Mirabilis, so it could be a cousin of the 4 o'clock.

Cape Coral, FL

Thank you KayJones, I will look further to that resource :)

And Muddy1, I am going to study up a bit on Mirabilis, it is only necessary. :) thank you.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome; let us know what you find out.

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

These are not plants I know well, thankfully, but similar leaves...?
Tovara
Houttunia
Polygonym

Nearby trees?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.