Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plurraver
Baton Rouge, LA

November 13, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9708625

Please help me identify this. Pretty worried. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Plurraver   Thumbnail by Plurraver
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

November 14, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9708850

Although this superficially resembles a brown recluse male, I do not believe that it is one, as the pedipalps ('large pincers') are different, and the cephalothorax lacks the typical markings (see http://www.spiderzrule.com/411/brown_recluse_b_copy.jpg for an image of a male recluse spider). It might be a male sac spider of some sort (see http://www.suttonmass.org/animals/spiders/broadfacedsac/broadfacedsac1.jpg for an example).
BoxTurtle
Woodbridge, VA

December 26, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9734732

Yes - I'd vote on it being a sac spider. I like the BugGuide web site: http://bugguide.net/node/view/20984/bgpage for providing an assortment of photos. The odd thing is the sheer Range of body style and color shown for the brown recluse, which is unfortunate since half of the time people see a spider they jump right to the "brown recluse" question so long as it's brown instead of black, and then of course they assume it's a widow... although there are brown widows, too... Both of the photos offered as examples by Flapdoodle are great choices for these specific photos offered by Plurraver.
Flapdoodle, do you think there is just a huge variance in the shy brown retreat's/ brown recluse's body style or is much of it due to camera angle? Half of the time it looks, even on supposedly reputable sites, like there are several completely different spider types being shown!
As someone who is fascinated by spiders, I'd really like to have more confidence over my s.b.r. identification. I'm good-enough-for-comfort with the rest...
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 26, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9734746

@Box Turtle - Variations in lighting (including intensity, wave length, and angle of incidence with the object being photographed) as well as the vestiture (hairs, setae, etc.) of the specimen itself can indeed result in images of the same species appearing quite different. Add to that the range in individual variation within the same species (dogs and humans, for example), and you can begin to appreciate the difficulties inherent to making a positive i.d. from a single image...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America