AuthorContent

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9710245

When I first came across this plant I thought it was a Pachypodium lamerei... looks very similar at least... but then when I started taking photos of the flowers and leaves I realized it sure didn't look like one any more... any ideas? Flowers look like Jatropha flowers. Some kind of weird hybrid?

Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob   Thumbnail by palmbob
Click an image for an enlarged view.

JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

November 17, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9711411

palmbob
Acton, CA

You have given a tough exercise and I am trying hard. Can you tell me the location where you took the picture? Do you get watery or milky latex? Have you noted the aestivation of Calyx and Corolla? Smell if any ? any forked fruit or any other clue? Let me try again, it is really puzzling me. Thank you for giving me good exercise. Jj
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

November 18, 2013
12:54 AM

Post #9711475

Maybe a hybrid. The flowers really don't look like any Pachypodium sp. I have seen. Actually, they are kind of small and oddly shaped for that genus.
JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

November 18, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9711497

palmbob
Acton, CA

This is neither Pachypodium nor Jatropha and not a member of Asclepiadaceae which lacks tree species. Jatropha leaves are palmate. Certainly this a Plant Species of Apocynaceae.The conated stamens are seen in species like Wrightia and Vallaris. Ok I am trying again. Once again I thank you and Vestia.

Jj

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9711742

plant is in Vista... Grigsby's Nursery to be precise. Been there for decades I am sure, so someone has probably identified it in the past. Sure looks like a Pachypodium but I agree, flowers are all wrong. Thought it could a huge Dorstenia... but flowers are certainly wrong for that genus, too..

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2013
7:31 PM

Post #9712747

looks like the consensus on Xeriworld is that is is a Pachypodium geayi hybrid (leaves don't match P geayi, but flowers are pretty close to that one).
JohnJebaraj
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU
India

December 2, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9719995

palmbob,Acton, CA

Vestia,San Francisco, CA

For Taxonomic details of Pachypodiums please see the following web page of the research paper.

http://edepot.wur.nl/195240

In page 4 it clearly given

The stamens are included (inserted) in all species except in P. densiflorum and P. geayi where they are exserted.

Thus palmbob is correct

Jj

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America