Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

When I first came across this plant I thought it was a Pachypodium lamerei... looks very similar at least... but then when I started taking photos of the flowers and leaves I realized it sure didn't look like one any more... any ideas? Flowers look like Jatropha flowers. Some kind of weird hybrid?

Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob Thumbnail by palmbob
MADURAI, TAMIL NADU, India

palmbob
Acton, CA

You have given a tough exercise and I am trying hard. Can you tell me the location where you took the picture? Do you get watery or milky latex? Have you noted the aestivation of Calyx and Corolla? Smell if any ? any forked fruit or any other clue? Let me try again, it is really puzzling me. Thank you for giving me good exercise. Jj

San Francisco, CA

Maybe a hybrid. The flowers really don't look like any Pachypodium sp. I have seen. Actually, they are kind of small and oddly shaped for that genus.

palmbob
Acton, CA

This is neither Pachypodium nor Jatropha and not a member of Asclepiadaceae which lacks tree species. Jatropha leaves are palmate. Certainly this a Plant Species of Apocynaceae.The conated stamens are seen in species like Wrightia and Vallaris. Ok I am trying again. Once again I thank you and Vestia.

Jj

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

plant is in Vista... Grigsby's Nursery to be precise. Been there for decades I am sure, so someone has probably identified it in the past. Sure looks like a Pachypodium but I agree, flowers are all wrong. Thought it could a huge Dorstenia... but flowers are certainly wrong for that genus, too..

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

looks like the consensus on Xeriworld is that is is a Pachypodium geayi hybrid (leaves don't match P geayi, but flowers are pretty close to that one).

palmbob,Acton, CA

Vestia,San Francisco, CA

For Taxonomic details of Pachypodiums please see the following web page of the research paper.

http://edepot.wur.nl/195240

In page 4 it clearly given

The stamens are included (inserted) in all species except in P. densiflorum and P. geayi where they are exserted.

Thus palmbob is correct

Jj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.