2-inch-tall pop-up

Memphis, TN

Can you tell me what this is, please?

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It reminds me of several different plants, but none of them seem right.
If possible, could you take another photo with an object (coin, ruler, etc) so we can see the size of the leaves and plant? Is that one single plant, or several on top of each other? Finally, is it growing in your garden, or in the woods?

Memphis, TN

Here are some more shots, one with a quarter next to it, for scale. It is one plant and it is growing underneath a large Pecan tree. We had a good frost last week and it was undaunted by it.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

hawthorne?

Memphis, TN

Hmmm. I don't know. When I Googled 'Hawthorn', I didn't see any with magenta-tinged leaves. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

It was a wild guess, based on 1- some young leaves can be colored a bit even if older ones are green, and 2- some ? hawthorns have some lobed leaf shapes. I think? Throwing it in to try and get the discussion sparked.

(Zone 7a)

I have a lot of plants whose leaves turn red when the temps drop. It could still be a Hawthorn in its Fall colors.

Memphis, TN

Interesting and, yes, the images I found on Google do have those oddly-shaped leaves. I might just have to leave this pop-up alone to see how it looks come Spring.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I've been watching this thread 'cause I've got one just like it Miss Mary...I'll post a picture later. Does it have somewhat leathery leaves? Reminds me of rose-like.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Reminds me of crabapple or apple seedlings.

http://www.suttonelms.org.uk/apple89.html

Memphis, TN

Mipii, the leaves aren't exactly what I'd call leathery but they do feel about like Rose leaves. I'd like to see your picture. Hcmcdole, the leaves in the link you shared are a little more pointed and less lobed than what I have but the coloring is close.

Miss Mary, here is my pop-up.

Thumbnail by Mipii

Another pic, it's 4" tall in a 4" pot.

Thumbnail by Mipii
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I think the leaves on Mary's plant look similar to this Midland Hawthorn: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/167653/.

Yes they do Muddy, except Mary's is not quite as scalloped and has a more burgundy cast.

Memphis, TN

Muddy1, my plants does, indeed, resemble the Midland Hawthorn but I see the difference in the scalloping, too. Hmmmm...this little rascal is really being difficult to identify.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Perhaps after the leaves change color - assuming they do become another color, or become completely burgundy, before falling off - it'll be easier to figure out what it is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.