Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Container Gardening: leaving pots out over the winter

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9712393

Can I leave my clay/glazed pots outside over the winter if I put them in garbage bags so they don't get water in them? I don't really have a good place right now to store them inside.

Also if I disconnect my water hose from the spout, can I roll it up and leave it outside also?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9712464

I leave some hoses outside in place. When the water tap is drained and the hoses are disconnected, I put a baggie over each end of the hose and wrap tape or a twisty around it so nothing can get inside. I'm on my 4the year with a couple of them.

I have a large property and I'm tired of dragging hoses all over, so I've run a few along the edges underneath shrubs to the farther reaches. Then I have hose reels on wheels, and I just wheel them wherever needed and hook up.

As far as clay pots go, your idea is worth a try. If any do crack, the best way to repair is with clear silicone in a tube, the kind they use to seal leaks in bathrooms. Water, heat, cold, nothing fazes silicone, the repairs hold forever.

Good luck!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9712554

ok thanks, that is great to know. Great idea with wheeling the hose and then hooking up, I have a large place too so I might try that. I would not of thought to cover the end of the hose, good idea.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America