Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: leaving pots out over the winter

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9712393

Can I leave my clay/glazed pots outside over the winter if I put them in garbage bags so they don't get water in them? I don't really have a good place right now to store them inside.

Also if I disconnect my water hose from the spout, can I roll it up and leave it outside also?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9712464

I leave some hoses outside in place. When the water tap is drained and the hoses are disconnected, I put a baggie over each end of the hose and wrap tape or a twisty around it so nothing can get inside. I'm on my 4the year with a couple of them.

I have a large property and I'm tired of dragging hoses all over, so I've run a few along the edges underneath shrubs to the farther reaches. Then I have hose reels on wheels, and I just wheel them wherever needed and hook up.

As far as clay pots go, your idea is worth a try. If any do crack, the best way to repair is with clear silicone in a tube, the kind they use to seal leaks in bathrooms. Water, heat, cold, nothing fazes silicone, the repairs hold forever.

Good luck!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9712554

ok thanks, that is great to know. Great idea with wheeling the hose and then hooking up, I have a large place too so I might try that. I would not of thought to cover the end of the hose, good idea.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America