This is Frizzy ,she is a bantam cochin frizzle.She is about 7 months old and has limped for the last few months.I took her to someone that said she had bumble foot and did some cutting as he said he had done this a few time and she did appear better for awhile but is limping bad again.So I made an apt with my vet who takes care of chickens(first time taking a chicken to the vet) .She is my favorite and I don`t know if she is in pain so she goes next Tuesday.Thinking its bumblefoot again but want to make sure.Will let you know how she makes out.She is with her buddy a cuckoo silkie girl in this picture.
I found her by accident,I had taken my dog for an ear infection and just jokenly I said do you take care f chickens?She said that is how she trained on a chicken farm. She even said that if I had one that died she would d a free !.
I was on my tablet and the battery ran out so I will finish what I was saying.She said she would do a free necropsy(not sure of the spelling)on her own time on it to see why it died,she said she missed working with chickens,thought that was nice of her.
Off to the vet at 1;30,with two frizzles,another on is limping.Checked his out yesterday and cannot see anything but my eyes are not the best in the world and all those feathers on the feet and legs doesn`t help any.WIll let you know what I find out
The rooster had a swollen leg,maybe injured jumping off the roosts,has to be confined to a cage to see if this will help, sure hope it does. Frizzy had bumble foot she lanced it in 3 places and drained it,I have to soak her foot twice a day for two weeks and put anticiotic ointment on it,she has an antibiotic pill she has to take twice a day to,can anyone tell me how to give a chicken a pill??Will have to google it or look on utube.She said if this does not work she will have to have surgery on the bottom of her foot! Well today was a $137.00 for two chickens,will have to think long hard over surgery.Anyways frizzy will stay in the house for two weeks because its to cold for her to be out there with a wet foot and the stress of taking her in and out twice a day,its eaiser to just keep her in the house.
KepT Frizzy in the house last night and gave her scrambled egg with her pill mashed up and she ate it all,was so happy because I was worried how I was going to give her a pill.Then soaked her foot and put her ointment on it.Decided to take her out in the coop as it would to hard on her being gone two weeks(the coop will be cold and she has been in the house and the others would not accept her being gone that long).Went out to give her her second pill in the egg and she would not touch it!!!!! So I got another pill and tried to put it in her mooth,DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO HOLD A CHICKEN AND TRY TO OPEN THE MOUTH AND ISERT PILL?????? Well its hard,lost another pill (one days pills gone down the tubes)So got hubby to hold her head while I pried open her mouth, no easy chore and got a pill down her.So that means he will have to help me,don`t know what I`m going to do next week when he is gone,(drives truck).Hope the rooster that is in confinement will be ok in a week so he can go back with his flock,he is in a cage right next to them so he can see and hear them and they him.And now Frizzy`s buddy that has been with her since hatching is picking on her.poor Frizzy.So that's my story for today,OH it has been raining here all day and hard rain to,then tomorrow its suppose to freeze,it will be a skating rink everywhere,.would rather have snow
Frizzy is not limping as bad now.I hate having to hold her down twice a day to put pills in her mouth.I wrap her in a tight towel put her on my bench in the coop hold her head and pry open her mouth and put the pill in.I don`t think chickens can spit cause she never spits it out.Then I have to do her foot, I spray the betadine on her foot and wipe that clean then put the ointment one it.She is going to hate me by the time two weeks is up.Sure hope this works.The rooster is limping as bad as he was when I put him in the cage,despite not running or jumping on a roost.Will give it another week then put him back with the others
Green, You are the best mom ever! I have a large herd of aging/ailing felines so I can totally relate to the difficulties in getting pills down throats. The towel wrapping method is helpful, but you might try to dissolve the pill by adding a little water to a syringe since I have always found it easier to administer liquids than pills. Frizzy is a lucky girl!
Oh, man. You sound like me. Will do anything for the health and wellbeing of my furry and feather charges. The neighbors think I'm nuts, but I have happy and healthy hens, goats, dogs, etc. And that makes me happy! I know what you mean about he costs, though. But hope for the best and prepare for the worst. That's what my grandma always said...
She is doing a lot better and just a few more days of pills.The rooster on the other hand seems to be limping worse.The vet called the other day and asked how they were doing and I told her that he is not any better despite keeping him quiet and confined. She said try giving him some vit. E,she didn`t think that was what it was but I will try anything.She was pleased to hear Frizzy is going better.She said if the rooster has a slipped tendon it would take awhile to heal,so I will keep him in the cage for a couple more weeks.At least he can see and hear the flock and they him.
Interesting. The only antibiotic I've used recently for chickens has been Tetracycline which is given dissolved in their drinking water - useful for treating the whole flock, but not good for individual dosing.
One of my roosters was walking very oddly a couple of days ago. It turned out that he had managed to tangle his spurs in a piece of string and had hobbled himself! He also continued to "goose step" for several minuted after I took the string off.
Put the rooster back in with his flock.The other roosters chased him a little bit but I was there to help him out.Don`t really know what I`m going to do with him.Guess I will wait till March when I want to start incubating and if he is no better I don`t want him for breeding in case its something genetic.Maybe I can find him a good home.Called the vet today and she said it can`t be slipped tendon or it would have started getting better by now.She wanted me to bring him back up but its just to expensive,out of curiousty I asked what it would cost to have him put down and I would bring him home,she said $48.00,same as a cat.Guess not.