Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: an evergreen tree or bush best used as a screen/ zone 7

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xxlasxx
Pittman Center, TN

November 22, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9714342

I recently bought a cabin in the woods...east TN. In the winter, when the foliage is gone, the neighbor's
property in the back is then noted to be an awfully messy storage area (cars, campers, etc). I would like to plant
native shrubs, bushes, trees ...something evergreen...that will grow well in a low light area ...I am looking
forward to any suggestions from the forum. Thanks in advance! Lisa

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9727498

You should plant a species like American Holly (Ilex opaca). While it is not a rapid grower, it is a long lived species that exists naturally as an understory species in the southeast.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 14, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9728075

Go have a chat with the local officers who deal with parks, landscape ect, they will have a good list of Small trees / shrubs and coloured foliage you need and will be happy in your environment, it will cost you nothing to gain some insite into what the plants requirements will be, take a look around the neighbourhood also as if it grows around your place ot will work for you, pruning/ cut back, is also possible IF needed.
Good luck,
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America