Beginner Gardening: an evergreen tree or bush best used as a screen/ zone 7

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
Pittman Center, TN

November 22, 2013
10:39 AM

Post #9714342

I recently bought a cabin in the woods...east TN. In the winter, when the foliage is gone, the neighbor's
property in the back is then noted to be an awfully messy storage area (cars, campers, etc). I would like to plant
native shrubs, bushes, trees ...something evergreen...that will grow well in a low light area ...I am looking
forward to any suggestions from the forum. Thanks in advance! Lisa

Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9727498

You should plant a species like American Holly (Ilex opaca). While it is not a rapid grower, it is a long lived species that exists naturally as an understory species in the southeast.
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 14, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9728075

Go have a chat with the local officers who deal with parks, landscape ect, they will have a good list of Small trees / shrubs and coloured foliage you need and will be happy in your environment, it will cost you nothing to gain some insite into what the plants requirements will be, take a look around the neighbourhood also as if it grows around your place ot will work for you, pruning/ cut back, is also possible IF needed.
Good luck,

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America