Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zinniamanrm
Levittown, PA

November 25, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9716263

I have 8 knockout roses in 1 gal pots that I bought @ lowes end of season that are very healthy. Would like to wait until spring to plant and need best advice on how to overwinter. I am in the Philadelphia,Pa area zip code 19054. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2013 4:54 PM
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 26, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9717091

Not able to ell from zip code what temp's you actually have in winters but if anything like last few winter seasons we will never know the temps till they arrive, the weather everywhere seams to be all mixed -up everywhere, I had Rhododendrons flowering in October and they had a great show in spring as per NORMAL.

If you want to keep the Roses in Pot's AND outside, then you need to prepare them now, next month COULD be too late.
I would make sure the soil has NOT dried out, don't flood it but add enough water to dampen right through, allow excess to drain away, next move the plants to a light BUT sheltered area (against a south pacing wall would be good, this will allow light to prevent the branches freezing IF you get these conditions, IF it get's even colder where you are, then burry the pots up to the top of the soil by piling up leaf-mould, compost or some other form of humus to help insulate the pots while the freeze is with you, another way to protect the roots and soil from freezing is to wrap around the plastic Bubble wrap you find wrapped around glass or other fragile items, this acts like a blanket but done put it around / touching the stems or other green top growth or it could cause mould to form.

it might be a good idea to prune the Roses by half, any shorter will be too much, in real cold spells the tips of the stems can be nipped by frost and you want to be able to prune properly in spring when you plant them out, give them a feed and prepare the soil well with plenty of humus, (horse manure well rotted is the very best for Roses IF you use well rotted, no smell and dig it into the planting hole, then add some blood/ fish . bone meal you purchase from garden store, it's a slow release fertiliser and natural, not chemical.
Hope all this helps you out and you have many years of enjoyment from your new Roses.
Kindest Regards.
WeeNel.
zinniamanrm
Levittown, PA

December 2, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9720105

Thanks much,will try it!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America