Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Herbacious plant flowers in October in Mid Atlantic

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
uncgolfr
Annapolis, Maryland
United States

November 26, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9716927

In Chesapeake Bay watershed, but not necessarily a volunteer. 3-4' tall, flowers 1" globes, leaves opposed but not compound.

What have I got here?

Thumbnail by uncgolfr   Thumbnail by uncgolfr   Thumbnail by uncgolfr   Thumbnail by uncgolfr
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Muddy1
Vienna, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2013
8:05 AM

Post #9718481

This plant intrigues me, so I'd love to know what it is!
I'm hoping others jump in because I haven't found anything that looks just like it. I believe it's a disciforme Asteraceae. The closest I've found is Tripleurospermum disciforme, which has similar flower head but very different leaves.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2013 11:17 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9718527

I didn't find anything in two field guides. Escaped from cultivation?
Muddy1
Vienna, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9718615

That would be my guess.
uncgolfer, when you say it is not necessarily a volunteer, does you mean someone planted it in their yard? If so, any chance you could ask them what it is?
uncgolfr
Annapolis, Maryland
United States

December 2, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9720093

To both respondents: We think it might be an Asclepias from the leaves. The flowers were a one time photo shot, and I don't know from this year how it evolved, or if it became more Asclepias-like, i.e., the individual bits exploded into Asclepias-like flowers. The location is a public garden, and the staff thought perhaps it might be Curassivica, but it is not orange enough.

I have talked to them, but will go back a try again...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9720306

all Asclepias that I am familiar with have opposite paired leaves. The posted plant is alternate.
Muddy1
Vienna, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9720321

I would say "no" to Asclepsias (curassivica or other species) as well.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2013 9:44 PM
uncgolfr
Annapolis, Maryland
United States

December 3, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9720630

Well, I had found it to be very un-asclepias-like as well after staff suggested curassivica. And no other Aclepias looked anything like it. That's why I posted it on DG. You are correct about alternate leaves. And I am not sure if it was planted or volunteered, but it has been there for two years, and seems to like its habitat - part sun, good deep soils, sheltered by hydrangeas, some magnolias and hollies.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9720640

Gosh, doesn't anybody recognize this fella?
An Aster family thing agrees better with this late fall bloom

Chrysanthemum pacificum--could be close. It blooms very late, has button like yellow flowers, and can be over 2 feet in my garden in near full shade. I am supposed to pinch it though.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9721029

The leaves of this plant do not match the C pacificum in my yard (although my pacificum has a three foot tall stem , its leaves are a bit serrated and more oval)
uncgolfr
Annapolis, Maryland
United States

December 4, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9721201

The leaves definitely don't match, and I am not even sure about the flowers. This mystery plant stood over 4' high, and the flowers were at the ends of multiple leafless stems.

Unfortunately, that garden bed has been cleaned out for winter and spring, and this plant was cut to the ground, so I will have to make a note to watch for it next year.

I will leave this thread open for another week, and then close it, in the event anyone has new ideas.

uncgolfr

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America