Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: To Kill or Not To Kill..

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

November 29, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9718415

Hi,

I have found a lot of some worms which arere living in my jasmine pot. The jasmine seems to be not growing much right now but I dob't know if its because of the lower temperatures or anything else. Can anyone identify these worms that live in the pot? Are these beneficial earthworms or some creatures damagingthe roots? If latter how can I get rid of them and revive my plant?

Thumbnail by vanita79   Thumbnail by vanita79
Click an image for an enlarged view.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9718596

It's definitely not an earthworm. It reminds me of a house centipede but I'm not sure if you have those on your side of the world. You may want to post a better (higher resolution) picture here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bugid/all/#b
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 30, 2013
11:47 AM

Post #9719007

I agree with plantfreak, it is not a worm, worms of any type don't have legs, insects bugs flying, crawling things do have legs, they look a bit like what we have here in UK calles Silver fish, these are small grubs that (ONLY LOOK A CROSS BETWEEN A FISH AND A GRUB) the fish likeness is because they have a sort of fish rear end and grub because they are harmless, but come out at night and when startled by a light being switched on, they scarper away to hide. they don't bite, don't eat plants and I think live in humidity of bathrooms or kitchens where moisture in the air is present.
I am aware I could be way off course but that's my best guess.
Hope someone else can come in and help you out, As plantfreak suggests, a sharper / clearer picture might help better.
Good luck and kindest Regards.
WeeNel.
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

December 1, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9719304

Hi, this was actually the best picture I could get because its way too tiny and hard to capture while in the pot. I got this pic when I took the pot to the bathroom for a full soak. These guys are actually only 1cm long and hardly 1 mm wide and yes it did have a lot of legs and even two antenas (if thats what those things protruding from the head were plus a wormlike wrigly body. I'm glad I got rid of two since they arent anything beneficial.

I'll try to take a picture again if I see them.

They also run pretty fast when placed on a camouflaged surface like on soil or brown pot or mmulti grey stone surfaces.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9719457

I think maybe a centipede or millipede. They are mostly nuisance pests and of no great harm.
https://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg379.html
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

December 4, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9721213

Hi yes thank u so much it is a centepid. Any idea how I can get rid of them?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 5, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9722109

You have just described the tiny bug called Silver fish as I mentioned before, they are totally harmless to people or plants, they live on decaying material withing the pot, they like dark dampish areas and you find them in bathrooms or unused bedrooms where ventilation is NOT given, they skuttle away very fast when human or animals enter the room ot the light is switched on in the evenings.
Do a search for Silver fish insects and you will find there habitat and maybe a cure for them.
Most people leave them be as they are harmless.
Best Regards.
WeeNel.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2013
1:39 PM

Post #9726227

Looks like a picture of a slug( without a shell) and way too many feet, but I would bet WeeNel was accurate with the silverfish id. Size for one thing-silverfish are abundant indoors more often than not, millepedes choose woodier homes, they may be harmless but I rate them on the GRRR meter the same as cockroaches...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America