Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

is this a goldfinch or pine siskin?

Leavenworth, KS

or something else?

Thumbnail by abslush Thumbnail by abslush Thumbnail by abslush
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, you have got a puzzle.
Streaked breast looks like Pine Siskin, but white chin and wing bars do not. Solid colored back looks like Goldfinch, streaked breast does not. The little spot of yellow on either side should be a clue - but I'm not having much luck matching it.

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Wrong bill for a seed-eating bird. Looks like a Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I think Old Ned is right - immature Yellow-rumped Warbler. But that means the poor thing is in the wrong place at the wrong time - it should have migrated.

Leavenworth, KS

Well I guess I should have said that there were for sure 2 of them. 2 were on the birdbath at the same time when I took these pictures. Later that day I looked out and thought I saw 3, but they flew off too fast. Thanks all!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

To be exact, a Myrtle Warbler (Yellow-rumped Warbler was recently split into two species, Myrtle Warbler [east & north] and Audubon's Warbler [west])

(Zone 5a)

We have them in Iowa in the winter in a few areas. I had no idea until we saw one last year. If they find all they need, they will do fine in the winter. When there are no bugs, they will eat fruit. :)

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

In this area, they live on bayberries in the winter. They have some very clever intestinal bacteria that help them digest the wax, a calorie-rich substance that not much else can eat. Is there a plant with waxy fruit in the middle of the country?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, we have Cedar Waxwings and Juniper berries can be kind of waxy - but I can't think of anything so waxy you can make candles out of it, like bayberries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.