Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Over winter indoors?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MNass
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2013
7:25 AM

Post #9719479

'Jame' Salvia; brought indoors and wondering if I am doing more harm then good? Zone 5. Should I put the potted 'Jame' Salvia in the garage? Or keep it indoors where the temp gets up to 68? Hoping it will come back to life in the spring. Read it flowers on old wood. It grew tall and strong however no flowers. Hope to overwinter so as to have flowers next summer. Please advise.
MNass
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2013
10:50 AM

Post #9726815

Thank you I got advice from another gardener. I moved the plant into our cold garage for the winter.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 14, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9728083

Glad someone helped you out MNass, just make sure you check on the pot regularly so you don't loose it, remember plants can take a sleep / go dormant and most will be under the soil till next spring when new shoots appear, just give enough water to keep it alive but NOT growing.

Good luck and Best Regards.
WeeNel.
MNass
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2014
4:36 PM

Post #9765960

Wow! I did not know that I should water it. Thank you for telling me. Hope I didn't loose it. :-(
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 16, 2014
2:57 PM

Post #9770430

Only JUST enough water to prevent the plant / roots drying out completely, check the plant every week, stick your finger into the soil and IF it is very dry, give a little water but no feed or bright sun or heat, soon as you notice new green shoots appear, time to offer a little more water and some light,
Once the shoots are starting to look stronger, time to give a liquid plant feed half dose , don't over feed, IF you intend to plant this outside in the garden soil, hold back the liquid feed and add some form of feed the planting hole, something like blood / fish and bone meal, or multi purpose feed comes in granules, read the dosage I carefully as over feeding is a big mistake and can kill a plant. always water after feeding.
Hope all goes well for you and your plants.
best Regards.
WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America