best type dogwood for atlanta, ga area

Marietta, GA

What type dogwood is best for the atlanta area? (white blooms and not a Kousa). Thanks.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

There are so many Dog Wood shrubs / trees that if I were you, I would go to the parks, golf clubs and your local community departments for a list of these types of plants that grow in most types of soil.
There are so many colours of foliage AND trunk / branches, all shape of leaves and flowers, it really is a large family and I guess there will be many types that are suitable for your needs, here we grow the coloured stemmed type that we prune early spring to help the plant / shrubs to produce more new colourful branches that are bare in spring and the foliage follows later, they are a lovely family of plants IF chosen with care.
Good luck, WeeNel.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Cornus florida is going to be the best species for a tree form (Flowering Dogwood).

The Appalachian Series is going to have a good selection of disease resistant choices, too. 'Applachian Spring' and 'Appalachian Blush' are two nice ones; there are more.

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I wouldn't rule out the C. kousa x C. florida hybrids. They almost always beat the natives in sun tolerance, heat tolerance, disease resistance, and vigor.

Not too mention italicization...

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Ack! I screwed that up, didn't I?
and quit stalking me :)

I had heard there was a new North Carolina selection:

Cornus kousa Eloquently Exceptional™...

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

You tryin' to imply I'm a less-than-classy dame? That's about right. More than once I've been accused of being a boorish Yankee despite my southern accent. I'm ever thankful for the people who put up with me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.