Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

best type dogwood for atlanta, ga area

Marietta, GA

What type dogwood is best for the atlanta area? (white blooms and not a Kousa). Thanks.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

There are so many Dog Wood shrubs / trees that if I were you, I would go to the parks, golf clubs and your local community departments for a list of these types of plants that grow in most types of soil.
There are so many colours of foliage AND trunk / branches, all shape of leaves and flowers, it really is a large family and I guess there will be many types that are suitable for your needs, here we grow the coloured stemmed type that we prune early spring to help the plant / shrubs to produce more new colourful branches that are bare in spring and the foliage follows later, they are a lovely family of plants IF chosen with care.
Good luck, WeeNel.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Cornus florida is going to be the best species for a tree form (Flowering Dogwood).

The Appalachian Series is going to have a good selection of disease resistant choices, too. 'Applachian Spring' and 'Appalachian Blush' are two nice ones; there are more.

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I wouldn't rule out the C. kousa x C. florida hybrids. They almost always beat the natives in sun tolerance, heat tolerance, disease resistance, and vigor.

Not too mention italicization...

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Ack! I screwed that up, didn't I?
and quit stalking me :)

I had heard there was a new North Carolina selection:

Cornus kousa Eloquently Exceptional™...

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

You tryin' to imply I'm a less-than-classy dame? That's about right. More than once I've been accused of being a boorish Yankee despite my southern accent. I'm ever thankful for the people who put up with me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.