Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: DID I TRANSPLANT SOME WEEDS???

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Grow1
Fairfield, CA

December 3, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9720785

I thought these were Sambucus Nigra aka Black Elderberry seedlings when I moved them from the garden into these 3 gallon pots. I was planting the seeds in the garden when a wind caught them and they got distributed randomly and then a truck drove through my garden and redistributed everything I planted and now I have a mystery. The other things planted out there were Yarrow and Purple Bee Balm.

Anyway, pretty sure this isn't Sambucus and would like to know what I'm feeding and caring for :) Also would like to know what you would call this leaf shape/type.

The pictures are high resolution so you experts should be able to zoom in and see a lot of detail. These are about two or three months old.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Grow1   Thumbnail by Grow1   Thumbnail by Grow1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2013
8:03 PM

Post #9721027

you're right, after all that trauma you do not have an Elderberry there . What an ordeal!
My first guess is some wild Brassica family plant.
Grow1
Fairfield, CA

December 4, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9721204

Thanks, I thought the same, it is a vegetable from Brassica. It has fuzzy leaves if that helps and an extensive root system. It is also delicious to bugs and very resilient. Several of these potted were stripped to the bone by bugs and they just keep sprouting new leaves. I so can't wait to find out what they are and think the leaf shape is so pretty.
Grow1
Fairfield, CA

December 4, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9721291

Is it Brassica Nigra? That would be funny, instead of black elder I have black mustard. Well at least I can eat it if that's the case.

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/black-mustard

Thumbnail by Grow1   Thumbnail by Grow1   Thumbnail by Grow1      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9721351

Those are common around here. I think they are edible when they are young. Mild flavor, then. They get stronger with age.
Grow1
Fairfield, CA

December 4, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9721389

Diana, thanks, have been researching since Sally gave me the confidence to narrow in on Brassica and found that in Napa there is even a mustard festival and these mustard plants are very common in our area. I think this variety is more likely Juncea. I washed a small leaf and ate a piece, it tasted like Arugula but stronger. I will continue to take care of them and once they flower I will have a better idea of the exact variety.

Another point to my story that complicates things is that I put down hay from a Fairfield farm to help re build the soil and retain moisture in this very dry area and that hay wasn't clean, which I knew but decided that the weeds would be green manure to be plowed under later. So this mustard is probably from that hay...
Grow1
Fairfield, CA

December 4, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9721412

Well, I'm back to thinking Brassica Nigra but could be different, again, will wait till it flowers or someone here is certain which Brassica it is. Here is a link to Cal database with a picture that looks very similar

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000 0000 1109 1649

Grow1
Fairfield, CA

December 4, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9721473

I am marking this solved as Brassica Nigra based on this image from the Encyclopedia of Life

http://eol.org/data_objects/23365787

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America