Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: A few tiny plants need ID'ing!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thehappydog
Lansdale, PA

December 3, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9721061

Hey everyone! I recently inherited a few tiny plants and I've no idea what they are or how I can help them.

Hopefully the images show up in the order I uploaded them. The first one (image titled Plant1) looks to be in OK shape, but the stems near the soil are starting to look brown and dry. Not sure how much or how little water I should be giving it, gave it some because the brown to me means it's dry?? could be wrong!

The second plant (image titled cactusy2) also seems okay I just have no idea what to do with it. I've no idea what those strings are at the top of the largest "leaf" which is very thick and somewhat rough around the edges. Seems pale? And in need of a trimming?

The third plant (images titled help1 and help2) seems to be in the most trouble!! I imagine at one point the entire stem was covered in those little green bulbs, but they seem to have shrivelled up or fallen off and been replaced by those strings. It's very weepy and doesn't support itself. But there's also a new, happy little growth! No idea what to do with this one but it's very cute and I'd love to save it.

The last one is not so tiny (image titled large1) and I just have no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to be in that bad of shape. It's awfully tall? No leaves on the big stems for at least 5 inches above the soil. I feel like it's going to topple at any day now. Some bottom leaves are also quite yellow, and the one stem is quite droopy.

ANY help would be immensely appreciated!!

This message was edited Dec 4, 2013 12:20 AM

Thumbnail by thehappydog   Thumbnail by thehappydog
Click an image for an enlarged view.

thehappydog
Lansdale, PA

December 3, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9721062

Seems all of my images didn't make it! Here are the rest.

Thumbnail by thehappydog   Thumbnail by thehappydog   Thumbnail by thehappydog      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

December 3, 2013
9:55 PM

Post #9721065

#5 is a variegated Peperomia.

Can you show a clearer photo?
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

December 3, 2013
9:57 PM

Post #9721066

2 is a Crassula, probably C. perforata
3 and 4 are a Sedum
thehappydog
Lansdale, PA

December 3, 2013
10:10 PM

Post #9721071

I'll try my best Metrosideros! Of which plant?

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

December 3, 2013
10:13 PM

Post #9721072

#5 the Peperomia.

Are there red margins, lines on the edge of the leaves?
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9721450

For #1 I suggest Crassula mesembryanthemoides (yes it IS a mouthful) see: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2373/ and here: http://crassulaceae.ch/index.php?TPL=113&x270_preview=1&x270_id=2242

For #2 I agree with Vestia. This species is quite variable and is found in many different forms in collections, see: http://crassulaceae.ch/index.php?TPL=113&x270_preview=1&x270_id=2882

#3 & #4 are a Sedum as suggested by Vestia, quite possibly Sedum pachyphyllum see: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/93053/

I'll leave the Peperomia to Metrosideros as he's doing so well with it.

What I want to say is that all of the first three plants are suffering badly from lack of light - this is why the stems are all stretched out and floppy. The "strings" are called adventitious roots - they are not unusual or abnormal but they do indicate that the plant is looking for something it is not currently getting from its environment.

Succulent plants, in general, need three things - Bright Light eg a sunny windowsill, or a couple of hours a day of direct outdoor light; Air in the potting soil; and intermittent water. I suspect the second problem your plants have is the soil they have been potted into as it looks far too heavy and water retentive. You want to grow your plants in a nice open "gritty" mixture. NO peat, NO water retaining granules, NO tiny particles. The ideal succulent "soil" should allow you to water your plant, saturate the whole soil ball evenly in a few seconds and drain all the excess out in about 10 seconds, leaving the mix itself just barely damp to the touch. After watering, leave the plant to dry out completely and air out the soil for about a week, then water to saturation again. If your mix is still damp to the touch the day after you water, it is not suitable for succulent plants.

The brown and/or bare stems at the bases of the plants are normal with age, what I would do with plants #1 AND #3 is take cuttings and start new plants. For #1 I would use tip cuttings and for #3 you can grow new plants from the individual leaves or tip cuttings but you need to handle the tip cuttings with some care or all the leaves will drop off! (Sedums are perverse like that, LOL). Get some fine grit or gritty sand, put it in a pot or tray and dampen it. Cut off pieces from the tips of your stems about one to two inches long and plant them in the damp sand. Only water again when the sand dries out completely - in about 8 weeks you will have plants ready to pot up like the ones in the attached picture. If you start the Sedums from leaves instead of tip cuttings, don't bury the leaves - leave them lying on top of the sand until they make little roots and then just cover the roots only.

Ciao, KK.

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America