Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Another Maple tree?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mustang1987
Paola, KS

December 4, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9721265

Sorry I keep posting about Maple trees. This is all new to me, but very fascinated to learn.

Was doing some work in the garage this morning, saw this tree and it seems to have a lot of the characteristics of a Maple tree, but the buds look a little different than the Silver Maple I found yesterday.

If it is in-fact a Maple, can someone tell me what kind it is?

Thumbnail by mustang1987   Thumbnail by mustang1987   Thumbnail by mustang1987   Thumbnail by mustang1987   Thumbnail by mustang1987
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2013
12:02 PM

Post #9721354

At this point some people might be able to ID it.
All I can suggest is that you look at some other plants that are common in your are and that have opposite leaves.

Some maples have bark like that.
They can have those white dots on the new stem (these are called lenticels).
The closed buds look like that.

Fraxinus, Ash is another genus of trees with opposite leaves. There are many species. They have lenticels, and buds look like that. I do not know if the bark looks like that, though. The ones I am familiar with have more deeply grooved bark that does not look like it wants to flake off like your picture.

Sambucus, Elderberry is another genus of trees with opposite leaves.

Ligustrum, Privet is more often a large shrub, but there are some species that are trees. Again, opposite leaves.

I suggest googling the genus and the work bark, then asking for images. Reminder: MANY images you get this way are not the genus you have googled, so if you think you have a match do more research. Similarly, use the genus and the word twig to get images to look at.

Are there any leaves under the tree? Perhaps caught in nearby bushes?
mustang1987
Paola, KS

December 4, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9721476

Alright I looked up Genus bark and Genus twig. The pictures are very similar. The buds on my twig however have one ending bud and 2 buds on opposite sides of the twig. I'm not sure if that's enough to separate the two.

Yeah, there are a bunch of dead leaves by the tree, but there's other trees in the area. So I don't know what leaves belong to what tree.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America