Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Need Help Growing Sugar Snap Peas and Trellising

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Silvermist
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9721512

Hi all,

Thanks for reading my post. I'm having some frustration growing these pea plants, it's my first attempt to grow them here in California during the winter season. I'm aware I would require a trellis for them, however right now I only have a 3 feet tall trellis I put together myself. What are some recommendations you guys/ladies can provide regarding growing peas? Should I use a taller trellis in the beginning?

By the way I noticed they have these small vines that wants to grab on hold to something, currently a few of them are wrapped around each other. Should I worry about this? Is it okay to cut the top of the vines and re-position the plants to stand alone against the bird fence?

Thumbnail by Silvermist   Thumbnail by Silvermist   Thumbnail by Silvermist
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2013
9:38 PM

Post #9721642

Are you growing the standard Sugar Snap Peas that grow up to 6 ft. or one of varieties that grow up to 3 ft? The shorter varieties require little staking so your 3 ft. trellis would be fine for them. The regular ones that are named Sugar Snap Peas or Super Sugar Snap Peas need a 6 ft. fence or trellis. You could probably just get some 6-7 ft stakes and add another 3 ft. trellis above the one you have now. The little tendrils will attempt to grab onto something. Check your packets to see how tall they are supposed to get.
Silvermist
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2013
10:37 PM

Post #9721659

[quote="gardadore"]Are you growing the standard Sugar Snap Peas that grow up to 6 ft. or one of varieties that grow up to 3 ft? The shorter varieties require little staking so your 3 ft. trellis would be fine for them. The regular ones that are named Sugar Snap Peas or Super Sugar Snap Peas need a 6 ft. fence or trellis. You could probably just get some 6-7 ft stakes and add another 3 ft. trellis above the one you have now. The little tendrils will attempt to grab onto something. Check your packets to see how tall they are supposed to get.[/quote]

According to the bag they will get up to 4-6 feet in height. Will the tendrils eventually adhere to the trellis versus other plants around it?
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2013
11:52 PM

Post #9721666

It all depends on how close the plants are to the trellis. You have the tall variety so I would add more trellising so they can grow to 6 ft. They will try to adhere to whatever is near them. Sometimes you have to help them attach to a fence or trellis if they are flopping or leaning over away from the trellis. I usually take two stakes and place them on either end and tie a string from end to end making a narrow space between the string and the fence so the plants are forced to stand up better against my fence. Hope you can picture what I mean!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2013
10:00 PM

Post #9723037

They will always grab anything they can, each other, the trellis...

I would set up the full sized trellis and get them started on that as early as possible. Otherwise they can get damaged if you try to separate them. I do not try to separate them if they grow tangled. Once the trellis is there they quickly figure out how to go up.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9726485

Yeah, they can strangle each other real fast. Have had to cut the tendril tips if they start that, but strings for them to grab do wonders... some of us use strings that dangle for that purpose.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America