Thumbnail by Kell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Muddy1
Vienna, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9728210

It looks as if this flower is fading. I'm no hydrangea expert, but most of the flowers on my hydrangeas look like that after the bloom period is over. Do you know what the original color was?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9728213

Try putting "new hydrangeas" in your search engine. There are several with that pink/green combination. I love hydrangeas but have never really had a lot of luck with them. The ones I have now are in 15 gallon pots so the gophers can't get them, LOL.
hortiphoto
Christchurch
New Zealand

December 14, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9728235

Yes, it's an ex-hydrangea. They all go like that when the heads die off. Your shot shows what a formerly pink flowerhead looks like. Here's one that was blue: http://www.botanicalstockphotos.com/photo-hydrangea-macrophylla---old-flowerheads-1815.htm .

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9728282

I just love hydrangeas too, Domehomedee! I did look up "New Hydrangeas" and found some interesting but none close.

No, I do not think these are older flowers. These were sold in April, new blooms, so not late in the season. Vintage/antique hydrangeas have a different look to them.They are sold at a very upscale florist that is part of a nursery. They sell very interesting ones, I assume florist grade though they are not cut but growing in 6 inch pots. I wonder if they could be dyed. Do they dye rooted ones?

Here is one of the displays with this particular one. And some other odd ones they had for sale.

Thumbnail by Kell   Thumbnail by Kell   Thumbnail by Kell   Thumbnail by Kell   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2013
9:24 PM

Post #9728283

And here are some vintage/antique blooms sold in late September. They have such a different look.

Thumbnail by Kell   Thumbnail by Kell   Thumbnail by Kell      

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2013
11:07 PM

Post #9728309

These are some pics from 2012 when I put in my hydrangeas. The plants in front of them are Bergenias (sp?).
I'd take some new pics but they look pretty bad after the recent freeze. I read you aren't supposed to prune them or you don't get blooms the next year. Anyone know if this is true?

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee         

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 14, 2013
11:48 PM

Post #9728317

It is when you prune them that affects blooms. I have about 5 big ones across my front garden. The week my Dad died, they were in the best bloom ever. Huge blooms and so many. My best year. I cut them all the morning I flew out and gave them to a friend who was watching my animals. I always think of my Dad now when I see them blooming. Since then, I have had few if any blooms. The row of tibouchinas behind them gives too much shade now.

Looks like you have a nice big yard. Too bad you can't plant them in the ground where they would get huge. Have you tried gopher cages to protect the roots?

http://gardening.about.com/od/treesshrubs/a/Prune_Hydrangea.htm

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9728503

I wouldn't be surprised if my back yard isn't too shady for them already. I didn't get much growth or bloom this year and they get plenty of water. I live in a California live oak forest and the backyard has gotten shadier and shadier every year. It's led to a lot of plant moving. When I move them I'll put them in the ground. My lavender hedge is about played out in the front yard, maybe they would like it there. I make a lot, and I mean a lot of gopher cages. Lately I have been planting in plastic pots with the bottoms cut off and wire on the bottom. This works good with smaller plants like hollyhocks but a big bush is a real problem to protect. I had the the little buggers kill a jacaranda tree last year, a tree. I have agaves that have fall over or are eaten right up through the center of the rosette leaving just a pile of leaves! I swear my gophers have little mohawks, tatoos, and very bad attitudes.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 15, 2013
3:02 PM

Post #9728631

LOL! I feel sorry for you. Hard enough to garden and keep everything happy and then to have things murdered from under the ground. Hardly seems fair.
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

December 15, 2013
7:09 PM

Post #9728737

I have seen the 'everlasting' series of Hydrangea Macrophylla has a lot of browns and they are sold as cut flowers.

Pistacio is another one that has a lot of browns and greens.

I like the pinks and blues. I just bought a white mycrophylla, called Sister Theresa, It had such huge flowers, It was so impressive!!! I had to buy it. Originally named Petite Soeur Therese De L'enfant Jesus and bred in 1947. It is an oldie... I hope I can get it to grow and bloom.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America