-
AuthorContent
Momsgardens1
Flat Rock, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9724426

Even though I have brought my caladium into the house in a pot for winter, should I remove the bulbs from the dirt or is it ok to leave them in and just keep damp enough not to dry out over the winter, while they are in the house?
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9726039

Do they have leaves on them now, or did they go dormant?
Momsgardens1
Flat Rock, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2013
2:51 AM

Post #9727201

There are still 2 leaves on it.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9727352

Is that significantly less than when it was warmer and they were in their prime? They are much easier to store dormant. A very warm house is needed to keep them going. You would want to let the pot dry out to store dormant in the pot. Keeping it moist could rot the bulbs. Start watering again when you see new growth poking up, and/or it's above 55 or so outside at night, and can go out in the warmth. Could be as late as late May. They survive here but don't start growing until then even though there will have been some near-90 degree days by then, and of course it's a lot cooler in MI generally. Once the pot dries well, you could put it in your basement if it stays above freezing. That's where I stored dormant tropical bulbs when I lived in OH. Putting the pot on a shelf or something to keep it off of the cold floor never hurts.
Momsgardens1
Flat Rock, MI
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2013
5:31 AM

Post #9732904

Thank you purpleinopp. I will quit watering even though there is still one leave still green on the plant. But it does look like new growth coming up on the bottom of the stem so will keep an eye on that one, before putting pot in cooler spot.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America