Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Viburnum blooming NOW?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bluntforcemama
Bothell, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9724846

I have a three-year-old Viburnum growing in a pot that is trying to bloom now. I'm unsure if this is due to wonky weather, since it hasn't been that warm, though it has been bitterly cold the last four days, and will likely warm up to 40-degree weather later this week. It usually blooms in early Spring. Can I send it back to sleep to ensure a Spring bloom, or would it be best to just let it be? Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Thumbnail by bluntforcemama
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 10, 2013
3:41 PM

Post #9725668

I would let is be, allow the flowering BUT place in a sheltered area where it may NOT get frost damage on the buds, the reason for protection is, when the buds get frost damage, it can kill off the buds tissue and this CAN lead to further damage entering the spores where the buds died off.

It might well be that no damage will be done or maybe just a few flowers die off, but you are correct when you say the weather has created lot's of problems for seasonal flowering shrubs / plant as the climate has rather gone hot, cold, sunny and dull all out of time clock and with how we normally know our seasons, I have Rhododendrons flowering all out of normal times BUT maybe the next spring they wont give too many flowers as they have used lots more energy making flowers without a resting period. but I know they will over time go back to their normal seasonal flowerings.
Hope you understand all this but, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Good luck and Best regards.
WeeNel.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9727496

Your plant looks like the one I know as Viburnum ×bodnantense 'Dawn'.

This plant is well-known to throw occasional blooms all winter. I have grown this selection for nearly 20 years, and it has never confined itself to spring bloom. This behavior has not affected the plants I grow here at the Valley negatively in the least, insofar as overall health.

If you want to try to prevent the plant from blooming or growing "out of season", then you ought to place it in a position where it will stay as cool as possible. One way of doing that is by not having its roots above ground or exposed to warm winter sun/temperatures.

Sink that pot in the ground in a cooler shadier place, and you will likely see a cessation of advanced growth and flowering. Leaving the pot out where it will warm with the ambient air temperature will almost guarantee this kind of behavior.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America