Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Sunflower growing advice?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ZhanZhan

ZhanZhan
Flic en Flac
Mauritius

December 9, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9725080

Hello, forum. I saw a sunflower in a neighbors yard recently and though
I may try my hand at growing them. Can I grow them from bird or snack
seeds? Also, will the flowers do well in a tropical environment? Thanks!

- Regards, Zhan

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2013
1:24 AM

Post #9725144

Hello, Zhan. Sunflowers should do fine in your location. They like full sun and long periods of heat. They are tough and will grow in many conditions as long as the soil isn't soggy or waterlogged. If your neighbor has one, that's a good indication that they mightl succeed for you as well. Many times they've sprouted from sunflower seeds that fell from my bird feeders.

Good luck with them. They are striking flowers.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 10, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9725649

Hi Zhan, as said by Cville, the sunflowers of all types are very easy to grow, NOT too sure about the seeds from the bird food but only because some of these type of bird feeds have been treated with a fungicide to prevent the seeds growing a mould etc, BUT it should tell you that on the package.

You grow the seeds say 2 per small pot, good compost and when both of the seedlings germinate, select the strongest one to grow on, I like to grow large seeds like sunflowers by placing the seed sideways into the compost, I find it helps germination BUT everyone uses their own methods. soak the compost and then don't water till the compost feels dry, add more water but just enough to dampen the compost and don't leave the pot sitting in a saucer of water, pour away any excess after half hour, set pots in good light but NOT direct hot sun through windows,

Once seedlings are large enough to handle (Hold by the leaf) NOT the stem or you bruise the stems causing infection. re-pot into larger pots and new compost and grow on till large enough to plant out in border, you may have to stake the plants with cane to support the taller type of sunflowers.

These plants like soil with enough humus added compost, as it helps hold onto moisture without the plants sitting in soggy soil.

Depending on your flower size, my grandkids like to prick out the DARK centre of the flowers with tweezers making eye's, nose and smiley mouth, they do make fun towering above all the other plants, when the breeze catches them it's like they are laughing at you.

I would imagine in your climate / conditions you could space out the seed germination and plant some seeds say every month so when the first plants have died off, the next ones are ready to fill their place. 6 weeks apart would do fine.

Hope this helps you out some.
Best Regards.
WeeNel. .

brendak654

brendak654
Anna, IL
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9727622

When I plant sunflowers for a wildlife food plot, I typically use the ones I bought as birdfeed.
As long as the seeds are not old or have holes in them, I would think they will sprout and come up and bloom for you. The birdseed sunflower are the smaller black oilseed type. If you want large headed sunflower, you may want to purchase the seed separately. A small packet will go a long way. They are very easy to grow.

Good luck!
Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 15, 2013
10:11 PM

Post #9728802

My experience with sunflowers included in wild bird food is that they do not grow nearly as tall and full as they should. I purchase both the black and stripped sunflower seeds sold in local pet shops here in the greater LA area.

I have never grown sunflowers from seeds specifically for gardens however the ones from birdseed seem extremely susceptible to mold and aphids even when watering in the early morning.

ZhanZhan

ZhanZhan
Flic en Flac
Mauritius

February 7, 2014
2:32 AM

Post #9764112

Thanks, guys! I managed to buy some regular and giant sunflower seeds for planting
on a trip to Taiwan. I am growing some now and will post pictures when they are grown. :)

-Zhan

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2014
3:09 AM

Post #9764119

Looking forward to it. I'm happier with the ones that grow from bought varieties of seeds.
TokoBunga
Jakarta
Indonesia

February 19, 2014
3:16 AM

Post #9772085

Sunflowers grows best at locations with full sun light. Itís easier to sow seeds directly into the soil. Give your sunflowers plenty of space to grow and do not use any pesticides or chemicals for growing Sunflower.
jhonpeeter64

February 21, 2014
3:25 AM

Post #9773536

As long as the seeds are not old or have holes in them, I would think they will sprout and come up and bloom for you. They are tough and will grow in many conditions as long as the soil isn't soggy or waterlogged. They like full sun and long periods of heat.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America