Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Water Lillies

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
taniaaust1
Adelaide
Australia

December 12, 2013
1:23 AM

Post #9726584

I brought 10 water lilly (of mixed varieties) seeds by ebay (its hard finding people to trade with in Australia) planning to try to grow them right away but when I got these they say sow in early spring :( . Its the start of summer here, will I likely get "some success" if I ignore the sow in early spring and sow them now (making sure they stay out of any heat waves etc)...

How easy or hard are these to grow? (some people think I have a green finger but I really dont know a lot about plants).

Anyone have any hints in growing these from seed.

thanks
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9727812

I have not grown waterlilies from seed, however I have grown many waterlilies from tubers. I expect it will take some time to get your waterlilies to the tuber stage.

The question I have is how long are the seeds viable? If they are one of the many different types of seeds that are viable for several years, then I would hold them until the appropriate time of year. If not, then I would sow them now and try to replicate the conditions the seeds need. Can you keep them in the refridgerator to create a spring like environment?

taniaaust1
Adelaide
Australia

December 15, 2013
4:27 AM

Post #9728351

thanks for the response.

Ive no idea how long these seeds are viable for. All I know is the seeds consist of both tropical and also of hardy types.

I was concerned as after I'd brought these, I read online somewhere that the seeds of the hardy types shouldnt be left out of water (so maybe half my seeds arent viable due to that?? Does anyone know about that?). For the tropical ones, as I dont live in a tropical area.. I suspect those will only be annual things, so by growing them now in summer, would mean they would be only just taking off by the time winter comes. So I could be really screwed with these seeds.

Today I decided to experiement with them a little bit (as Im worried about the hardy seeds being out of water) and hence sowed two of the 10 seeds I have.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America