Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Bermuda grass branch penetrating a hyacinth bulb and coming

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
taffazull
Srinagar Kashmir
India

December 15, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9728387

While digging my hyacinth bed found a grass(Bermuda grass? see photo) branch penetrating a small hyacinth bulb and coming out on the other side without any harm to either bulb or grass(see photo). I wonder if any other member has also come across this curious phenomenon?

Thumbnail by taffazull   Thumbnail by taffazull   Thumbnail by taffazull
Click an image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9728614

Rhizomatous grass can creep into about anywhere. Maybe your Hyacinths need a border around them?
taffazull
Srinagar Kashmir
India

December 15, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9728781

Thanks purpleinopp but I was referring to a branch penetrating inside a bulb and then coming out on the other side without harming itself or the bulb it had penetrated.It appeared to me to be a bit unusual. Of course grass creeping into a flower bed is a common occourence and a border around beds does help prevent it.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9729618

I did not understand your point at first, sorry. Now I understand your description & clicked on the pics to see the full size versions. So it's going through the white part of the bulb? That IS weird!! I've never seen anything like that with any kind of bulb.
taffazull
Srinagar Kashmir
India

December 18, 2013
12:07 AM

Post #9729993

Yes! right through the center of the bulb! That is why I posted the snapshot so as to keep a record for myself and other interested members.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America