2014 Seed Starting, continuing from 2013

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1304074/

It's a little early yet, but the other thread was really long so here we are :-)

Sharing methods, challenges and experiences, all are welcome!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Evelyn any color is ok with me Never had the white ones mine was a yellow & I would take more of them even :)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

OK, just remember, they do not bloom at 4 o'clock. They should call them 8 o'clocks. But they are still in bloom in the morning...

Mine bloomed most of the time once they got going... Less early in the season, and I'm not sure about cloudy days. But they showed white very clearly from a distance.

I think on cloudy days they are open all day long...

OK, I finally got started, in a very small way.

Last year one of my Platycodon Perlmutterschale seedlings had a double bloom. Apparently it's unusual, and it's gorgeous. I nurtured that plant, but somehow it still had a rough summer, culminating in a few seeds that may or may not have made it to maturity by the end of the summer.

So tonight I put some seeds to soak in hand hot water. Tomorrow I'll put them in a folded, damp paper towel in a baggy-- the Deno Method-- and keep my fingers crossed. Last year P Permutterschale took 16 days to germinate, other Platys were sprouting in as little as 4 days. I have my fingers crossed.

Meanwhile Happy Holidays, everyone!

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Fingers crossed here too!!!!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

What a beautiful bloom. The color is perfect.

Jan

Pam and Susie ~ I have already put your seeds in the Robin. Let me know if you get them (or not!). I think I put the remainder in the Robin as well....gosh, I can't remember...this has been one extremely seedy season! Now I need to get them all back into order and get out a few to put in one of my square foot gardens.

So far, the summer seeding experiment went well. I sowed Shasta Daisies, some frilly pansies, foxglove, hollyhocks and campanula. All but the campanula did well. I think it was my fault, though. The seeds are extremely tiny and I think they got pulled up when I went to remove some weeds. They were in a clump. I will sow a lot more thinly next time. I don't want to waste this seed!

I think I need to start again with a fresh soil mix which does not involve me adding any of my own "dirt" in it. The weeds just seem to flourish this time of year. I need to get out in the cold garden and do some weeding already!! (Brrr!!!!....)

In summer, in order to keep the seedlings from drying out and getting too hot, I put closely "woven" flats on top of them. After they got larger, then I took out the flats for the later part of the day, after the sun was lower. The hollyhocks were the fastest as they got large enough to move them father apart, which I did in the bed at first..

Then later on, I moved them into their perennial bed. I have no clue if they will bloom the first season, but I really do not care right now as there are so many other things to do in my gardens. I planted out 9 of the Desert Candles (Eremerus) in the back of the new mixed "warm colors" bed. I think they will be too tall as in the "Peach of a Garden" I had placed them quite a ways away, so they would not look so out of place.

This year I dug out all the plants out of that garden as I was frustrated by all the deer browsing that had gone on for years. Now all they will have will be daffodils, which they do not like. I am sure there will be some other bulbs, so I will have to be diligent with the Liquid Fence, in a timely manner. It is usually after a nice snow when the bulbs are coming up and I don't want to go outside is when the deer have already munched early in the morning.

I'm confused by your climate-- I think of zone 8 as nearly tropical, but you have snow. Are you in fhe hills? How far north are you? A couple of years ago, DH and I went to Yosemite and Sequoia parks, are you anywhere near either of them?

We all hate those 4-legged marauders. At my late mother's house in Southampton, on Long Island, they destroyed lovely mature landscaping in just a couple of years. Up until then they had left her alone, but as their space shrinks and the population explodes, they become more and more of a pest.

This morning I changed the water the seeds are soaking in by pouring out water and seeds together onto a paper towel. The water drained right out, and I didn't lose any precious seeds. After I put more hot water in the dish, I turned the towel upside down into it and the seeds floated right off it into the water. I' thinking maybe I can cut down germination time by soaking an extra day, maybe I'll do that on 1/2 of them.

Pam ~ There are many "zone 8's". Not tropical here. It is hot during the summer, but it is a dry heat, and cold in the winter. Yes, we are in the Sierra foothills at an elevation of about 3500'.

I am thinking that my next garden will be a rock garden. The only problem with that is I will have to figure out irrigation unless everything is drought tolerant. We have little to no rain during the summer. The choice rock gardens have gentians and many things that do not like hot summers. (I have one gentian in the shady garden...so far, it is still alive. I will see in the spring if it has grown any. It is tiny!)

It snows here every winter and sometimes spring does not arrive until late May...well, most of the time. Then summer is in June, so spring is usually short. We had tomatoes until November this year. Some years it snows the first week of November.

USDA Zone 8 10 - 20 degrees minimum in the winter. That is the definition of zone 8.

There is zone 8 in the south, which is humid for most of the summer, and some frost and barely, if any snow. AND, they get rain during the summer!!

So, you are not the only one confused by a zone 8 garden. Every year is different, so I do not know what to expect. This spring came early this year, for a change, but then it snowed on April 15th after a nice warm up....my tomatoes did not like being in the snow!

Yosemite is to the south of us, so we are further north. We are in between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOVE Erumerus!!!!! (foxtail lillies, just beautiful) What color are you planting? Did you get them locally or mail order? I bought a couple a few years ago at the Botanic garden sale and they were bare root....I carefully planted them and nothing! Darn! Will have to try thm again. There is a white one that I've seen get to 10ft tall! Stunning when in bloom!

Suppose to be warm this week (50s), so now the snow can melt off and I can find all me seed flats and pots. Gotta get things ready to start... Will be going thru the Seed Robin this week, hope it's filled with goodies!!!!!

I kept a few Dianthus X Loveliness that didn't get planted and brought them back inside. Am hoping for some winter blooms!!!! My neighbor did that with a few of her Dianthus and it was nice to see and smell blooms in the middle of winter...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.......Kathy

Columbus, OH

I am starting off my season of seed germination with a Christmas gift certificate from Reimer Seeds. One of my fabulous friends apparently appreciated the many gifts of produce from my garden.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh Celene...nice! Looks like what goes out comes back to you, that's what you get for being generous.

I can see lots of us will be keeping ourselves busy this winter! My seed are still soaking. But tomorrow is another day...

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to ALL!! ^_^

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Merry Christmas all

Jan

ps Celene good to see you posting here. Hope the weather isn't too rough right now for your area.

Happy Birthday Jesus.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I got the seed box (part 1) yesterday and many, many goodies to choose from.. (box 2 is enroute)

We got a skiff of snow yesterday so no looking for pots today and I'm quite sure my potting soil is frozen.... Need to break into sections so I can bring it in to thaw.. Got about 1/2" of snow yesterday, but it should melt off soon.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday! Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

What a sweet picture! Merry Christmas!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks pam....it was painted for my daughter's inlaws.....

I'm so far down the list for Amanda's seed robin it probably won't arrive until February-- that's my excuse for ordering from Swallowtail, and those seeds came yesterday. I already started soaking Asclepias Tuberosa, Campanula pyramidalis (Chimney Bellfloweer), and Lupine The Chatelaine (pink).

They all need stratification and I'm going to try something new (for me) this year. Somewhere recently I read a post about soaking, Deno, then freezing the baggie. I can't find the post now, but seem to remember it was only for a day or two, then thaw and plant. Shoots popped up in a few days.

Meanwhile my little Platy seeds have swollen and look like they should sprout any minute. I thought the windowsill seemed cold, so the other day I dug out my smallest heat mat to speed things up.

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!

Columbus, OH

This year, I SWEAR I'm not going to bite off more than I can chew, seed-wise. Seriously.

Hahahahahahahaaaa... That's what I said all summer and into the fall. I just sorted the new seeds into my stash- I have about 3 times what I remembered from when I looked them over a couple of weeks ago, lol.

I thought I was going to experiment less, and grow more plants of fewer varieties. Hahahahahaha... I have at least 2 or 3 choices for each available spot in the garden. I needed more plants for the Blue Garden- if I do even a handful of each type of blue seed I have, the whole place will be blue. And there will be no room for us to live in the apartment. Yikes!

Columbus, OH

You make me feel less guilty. lol

Safety in numbers...

Columbus, OH

Less like a 12-step program, more like a group of enablers.

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
LOVE Eremurus!!!!! (foxtail lillies, just beautiful) What color are you planting? Did you get them locally or mail order? I bought a couple a few years ago at the Botanic garden sale and they were bare root....I carefully planted them and nothing! Darn! Will have to try thm again. There is a white one that I've seen get to 10ft tall! Stunning when in bloom!
.......Kathy

They are peach colored. (They were for my "Peach of a Garden"!) I got them at McClure & Zimmerman. I have never seen them locally.

The weather has warmed up, almost all of the snow has melted. This feels like spring, but I am a-fearin' a roller coaster ride with the weather. It is 60°here now, and it has been that way for several days now. I am sorry for all the people enduring the ice storms....and all the horrid vehicle crashes....y'all be careful, ya'h hear?? (My grandmother was from Georgia)

There are a few bulbs showing...some yellow crocus, some white hoop daffodils and others just showing foliage.

Columbus, OH

I would like that white Eremerus, too.

Quote from Celene :
This year, I SWEAR I'm not going to bite off more than I can chew, seed-wise. Seriously.

It's not nice to swear! (LOL!!) Especially when it comes to SEEDS!!!! ^_^

Progress report: First thing this morning I put the soaked Asclepias, Campanula and Lupines in the paper towel/baggie in the freezer, marked Pam's in big letters, just in case DH in a well-intentioned New Year's frenzy decides to do a purge.

My special Platycodon seeds aren't showing any radicals yet-- worse, there was a white fuzz on a couple, and when I touched them they squished down to nothing. I guess that's mold, and they rotted. The seed pods may not have matured enough before the stem broke :-(
But I'm still waiting. There were 25 seeds, maybe a couple will be OK.
The other possibility is that I'm not completely set up yet, didn't use peroxide or SuperThrive. I'm thinking that I should take a few more from the stash and try again with them, using everything.

We had a gang here for a feast this afternoon, Cassoulet with Duck Confit and 3 kinds of sausage, and lots of wine. Yummmmm, and I'm stuffed. Tomorrow back on the straight and narrow.

Happy New Year, you all!

I vote for 'The other possibility is that I'm not completely set up yet, didn't use peroxide or SuperThrive. I'm thinking that I should take a few more from the stash and try again with them, using everything.'

Columbus, OH

I vote for that, too.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Question on Seeds I also ordered a few seeds All but one says plant after danger of frost .
but i would like to know what would you do ?

this one says plant in fall can or should i maybe try soaking or put in paper towel in the freezer for a few weeks ? " Fern leaf dropwort "

then i have
False blue Indigo
white Indigo
white Queen cleome
verbascum
red lychnis/ campion

should i put them all in the frig & Bring out when i'm ready to plant ? What would you do ?

Columbus, OH

I would winter sow all of them and save your indoor space for plants that require warmth to grow well. I have successfully WS a ton of lychnis/silene/viscaria etc., as well as cleomes, they need cold stratification anyhow.

Once you get a Lychnis/silene plant and you're not paying for seed, I just sprinkle it where I want it when the seed ripens, and it pops up the next year. I just WS'd a variegated Lychnis coronaria alba yesterday, along with some collected seed for L. coronaria, and Viscaria "Blue Angel" for a new bed.

If I could Winter Sow, I would. The only way I got Thalictrum seedlings is to put the seeds in a large-ish planter in the fall, and next spring there they were. But usually in the fall I'm so busy with other chores I don't get to do any of that before we close the house. I do Spring Sow once we get back there in early April, but that's not long enough for the trickier perennials.

I'm still looking for an indoor method that works more often. I have used the fridge (Deno) and had a fair amount of success. Last year I put some stubborn seeds in small cups in damp vermiculite, covered them and kept them next to an open window. That also was successful in some cases, but not all.

This year I'm trying the baggie-in the-freezer-- which reminds me, they've been in for 24 hours. I wonder if that's enough time?

Columbus, OH

You could winter sow now, this is about when I do, up until say...February for plants that need cold stratification, March-April for those that do not. I sow mine in regular old flats with plastic domes, I had far less luck transplanting from those, and their propensity to become dog toys is problematic for me personally.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 9, 2015 10:44 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images