-
AuthorContent
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9730112

Time to start a new one! Start thinking about what you're going to do with your pond in 2014!

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2013
9:25 AM

Post #9730185

Yeah!!!! Huzzah! Huzzah! Here's to ponding in 2014. Thanks so much, Mary. I feel spring is on its way (never mind the -7 on the thermometer). :) very large smile.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9730329

I so want a pond, nothing big mind ya, just big enough to hold this pond fixture I purchased several years back. so maybe a 12 x 12 size. LOL

-7 oh Mary I fear we will find you frozen with this just the start of winter...LOL

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9730345

Nah, it will warm up soon. Nothing lasts forever.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9730368

Oberon, keep that positive attitude and spring will be just around the corner.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. Personally I'm looking forward to slowing down a bit after Christmas.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9730374

Me too. But I am looking forward to being in Fairbanks with Damien, Laura, Dorothy and Woody. We are family. Sort of an odd cobbed together mixture but family just the same. Going there for Christmas is the closest to my childhood and early adult life dreams of what a family should be like at Christmas. Just a lot of love, sharing, laughter. So who says dreams cannot come true.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2013
4:27 AM

Post #9730532

My mom always told me your dreams would keep you going and happy. She was a very wisdom filled lady and I miss her until this day but thank God for such a wonderful childhood.
Oberon you enjoy your family doesn't matter if its blood related or not togetherness is a great blessing and to be greatly appreciated.

OK got to get to work today. We are rejuvenating an old hope chest for 1 of my DIL. She rec'd as a young child from her biological mom whom she has not seen for many years so I'm sure it will be worth our effort and expense. Makes me happy to make someone else happy.
Make sense?
Merry Mary has a wonderful Christmas gift a new grandchild. Maybe she's trying to catch up with me. 4 kids, 14 grands, 13 great grands. Once in a great while they are all home for Christmas even the ones from Cal. It was like a nut house but I sure enjoyed it.
Enjoy all the great fattening foods too. We can garden it off after
Christmas. LOL
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9730890

Well a lack of time and so very much to do has left me in the state of "I won't let myself be in state"...So, sunroom is almost whole after all the mold rebuilding, a few twinkly Christmas lights cover the abundant flaws. Family from Ohio gets here Saturday, they live on a farm, so are used to muddy boots and dirty jeans, and not going to judge me or my house. AMEN! My favorite time of year is the week before Christmas...the actual day is sort of the let down, but the week leading up to it is magical. Took my 8yr old grandson over to my mother's today (she's 82) and told him we were going to be Thursday Elves. We bought poinsettias and plug in Christmas trees and decorated her porch and sidewalk. She can't hear a thing but somehow heard us at the end of decorating and caught us in the act. I heard him say "oh oh"...ha, there she was! Oh well...I told him the Friday elves must have ratted us out! :)
My fish aren't sure if I should feed them or not. We've been fluctuating between doggone chilly and above normal warm. Who knows...Should be in the 80's tomorrow, after it was just in the 30's in some parts of the state last night.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9730913

I know what you mean. The day itself is not really that big a deal. It's the family sharing, laughter, the year after year 'traditions' that surprisingly can grow even later in life.

We got a major dump of snow and the pond is all but unrecognizable. Got to go check to be sure the holes are open and the water is still pumping from the bottom up and out and back in. All the hose and such is well coated with snow so no concern for any super-chilling of the water.

We leave tomorrow for Fairbanks but will of course still be in contact.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9732027

MM what a blessing to have your family come down. We have been setting record highs so hope they brought their shorts and t-shirts. You will have a great time with all of them.

Oberon, Enjoy your trip to Fairbanks and all friends etc.

I'm still cooking for the family with mom that's in hospital with undiagnosed health problem. My son's church (his wife) brought over a complete Christmas dinner for them. His church has handed out 300 such bags all printed with churches name on them. Turkey and everything needed for complete meal along with dessert fixings.
. If the father can't cook it I will. Mom is now in ICU and it doesn't look good. Oldest child is about 9. I have 2 of them in my Sun. school class. 3 all tog. Smallest one is a curly haired blonde and about 2 or 3. Really a beautiful child. Dad has called their old church in Indiana for prayer and I have called the churches I know around here to add her to their prayer list. I would greatly appreciate anyone who reads this taking a min. to pray for their mom whose name is Amy. Dad's job is in N.C but his boss told him to go home and that was his job for now. God bless his boss.
All have a blessed holiday season.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9732045

Praying Bonnie. Hopefully she will turn around soon.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9732161

Bonnie
I've added Amy to my prayer list. Gosh life is so hard at times. There are many a nights I go to bed and ask the good Lord to come back now. I hate the suffering that goes on.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9733243

This is the season of miracles so keep on praying.

Jan I look forward to his return also but if he lets us stay here a little longer there is a reason I'm sure.

Bless all on this forum with health, happiness and a blessed
Christmas.

Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9733501

Thank you, Bonnie and we wish the same to you and yours.
Mittsy
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9733509

Merry Christmas to all of you. May your year be filled with joy,health, and blessings!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2013
6:52 AM

Post #9733545

ditto what merrymary said

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

December 25, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9734207

Merry Christmas Day to all! 25 below zero does not chill the wishes from the North Pole (almost)
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 25, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9734227

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

Carolyn is playing nurse to her post op husband, she also need prayers for patience!!!

We are in Alabama with our 2 grown Children.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9734773

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Dave came home from the hospital on Monday and my inlaws came the following day. We had such a wonderful time with them.

Dave has been getting better each day. I know that it is going to take some time, but he is getting there. He seems to have a good attitude, of which I am very glad.

I went to take out the trash on Christmas Day and found that I had a pond heater die. I have 1 going still, so I going to limp by until tomorrow when I can get to Tractor Supply to get another pond heater. I think I will buy 2 so I have a back up.

How were all of your holidays? MM - you have a lot of family at your house, don't you? I love those type of holidays. My son and my neice both graduate from college this Spring, so we are hoping to have all the Boston people here for a joint graduation party.

Stay warm.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Carolyn

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 26, 2013
2:50 PM

Post #9734816

Hello All!!
Nice to hear from you Carolyn and glad that your husband is getting better everyday. I t will take a while for full recovery. Does he need to go for cardiac rehab?
I have a pond heater which I purchased few years ago but I had not used it. I do not get very cold here

The 7 day visit to our daughter went fast, we had Christmas eve dinner and just took it easy Christmas day.

We are leaving tomorrow and we are bringing home our 4 year old g-son because they are having a major kitchen renovation and will be very dusty and busy.

I hope you all have a healthy New year.

Belle

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9734900

Carolyn

I'm so glad to hear the operation part is over with, and thrilled that he is attitude is better. Sometimes when there are serve health issues they cause personality issues, so here to continue improvement for him health and personality for him, which will make life easier for you sweet lady.

Belle to have time with your grandson, how special that will be for you.

Had another job interview today, it went well, so I'm praying I'm called back for another interview. The lady is going to call next Tuesday to let me know either way. Which it would be nice to get the call even if I'm not selected for a second instead of just not knowing.

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9735102

Jan

Praying you get the job.

We have our first coumadin appt today. I am hoping it goes well. I will also pick up that other pond heater while I am out.

Stay warm all.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9735381

Bonnie!!
They had a wonderful follow-up story on the news tonight about the man in Winter Springs with the fish in the pool in his front yard. He and his wife were so thankful for the wonderful volunteers that came to help him! Hooray for you and your son!
The pool is now gone, and the money he made is being used for his cancer treatment.

You're the best! :)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9735468

Hoping DH first dr appt went well for him and YOU...

I took my DH to his first appt with a new Cardiologist for the new area we now live in. We had to drive 40 miles south, but this Dr was so worth it. He has been the first cardiologist to let me know that the mechanical aorta valve that he has wasn't one that was on the recall list. He had is put in before the problems started. HURRAYYYYYYYYYY best news in the world.

I should be hearing from the lady on Tuesday as to whether or not I get a second interview or if she has found someone else. So either way I will know come Tuesday, now just to have the endurance to wait till then.

MerryMary that is so wonderful. Don't ya love it when humans come together for the good of others...

We ate out on the way home and when we got the bill the waitress had only put one meal on it. Called her over to let her know that and she couldn't thank us enough, as if we hadn't she would have been made to pay for the meal. How could someone not tell them? It would weigh on my mind to much to not say something.

Jan
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9735605

Jan -

Yesterday we went over to the VA to have his INR tested and apparently DH is quite low. We go back on Monday. We also go to see the PA for the valve and the Electrical part of Cardiology, which is where he started 18 months ago. We will know more then.

Best wishes for your interview. It really strikes me, when myself included, we all complain about work. I may not like my job, but I have a job and I am fortunate in that. I think it is important that we count our blessings. Let us know how it goes on Tuesday.

I just went out and checked my new deicer - I noticed the hole in the ice from the new deicer was much larger than the hole that had been left by the deicer that was failing. Now I am wondering if the difference in the sizes of the hole is because the deicer was failing. I did notice that it is warmer today as well - so I am not positive on the size difference in the deicers.

I am anxious to get out in the garden and sit by the pond. I know I have at least 3 months to go - if it is anything like last spring, the earliest I could get out there was in May. The weather was miserable.

Here's to a better year in 2014 for all of us.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9735754

Hi All,
So glad to hear so many good health reports. Carolyn, will keep DH of yours in my prayers.
Your pond always looks so beautiful.

Oberon have never experienced 25 below yikes!!!! Keep warm. I keep praying for all those who are out of power due to ice on wires etc.

M Mary, glad Mr. Smith got rid of all of his fish and can now concentrate on his health. One of the girls that helped catch with Jeff told him all the ones they got from him died but she was moving and had some she wanted to give him. He didn't take them cause I told him not to bring anymore here.
Well, man he got fish from before ended up with them and called Jeff to see if I wanted long fins cause he doesn't like them. I have to think about that. Don't want to get overloaded again. He doesn't sell fish he just gives them away. I've got 3 that are getting big so they will have to have space in larger pond. Someday Jeff will build a pond at his house and take all of his large ones. He will have to have HOA approval.

Well I have been down at friends ranch for 2 days and Charlie didn't feed fish so I'm sure they will be hungry. Besides I miss seeing them all.

Hope all have a very merry season and Happy New Year.
Bonnie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9735811

Carolyn

Don't be discourage if it take time to get his INR to the correct level. Some folks its a crazy rollercoaster ride in getting it within range. My DH was down to 2 and that isn't a good range for him, he does better (I can really tell a difference in him too) at 2.5 - 2.8. If he reaches 3 he gets to tried. His is very temperamental and can drive us both nuts. LOL

Your pond is incredible, I would most certainly have a hammock beside it and most likely never leave, other than to go weed or plant to new plants...LOL

Bonnie glad to hear you were having to deal with more fish, well at least until you get the ones you want where you feel they should be...

Jan
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 28, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9735850

Carolyn.
I takes time to have the coumadin / INR regulated. Did you ever google the food to avoid?

my husband had been on Coumadin for years and his INR few weeks ago was 2.5 and so he has to skip a dose every wed. He now takes 2.5 mg of coumadin

He is very careful with his veggie intake, he had always eaten salads.

Jan,
I hope you get the job.

Stay warm!!!
Belle

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9736026

Belle

we went yesterday to the VA to have his INR checked. It was really low - 1.5, so they upped his dosage to 7.5 mg. They told him to eat normally, although he needs to avoid blueberries and pomegranents. They are going to regulate him to his regular diet, although he needs to be careful of his portion size.

We go back on Monday to be checked. Hopefully the INR will be somewhat higher.

Jan - good luck Tuesday.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2013
7:55 PM

Post #9736087

Thanks Carolyn

I hope the VA drive isn't too far for yall to go, maybe they could just create a shuttle for yall until it levels out...

Jan
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9736089

Supposed to rain here tomorrow, but I really need to get out and clean pond filters. I've also been neglecting my yard birds, and don't want the cardinals to go elsewhere...I really enjoy them.
It's been a weird winter so far and I still have coleus, canna, and caladium all going fairly strong. Maybe I can get out in the yard this week, and dig a few holes for the pond!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9736105

Can't wait for the rain. Funny thing, there was some construction work done, then the sod trucks arrived and laid a HUGE amount of sod in the drainage hole. Well I went to look at it while taking Gracie for a walk. You guessed it, no rain and now it looks brown. Why would you waste all the money on sod and then not figure out some way to water it. Like bring a water truck back for a few weeks????

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9737020

Sod sure needs rain Jan. Go figure.
We had a good rain here yesterday for which I was very thankful.
Duranta is till blooming like crazy plus the red cleredendrum. So far we haven't had enough cold to kill anything. I'd better not say too much.

Yes MM my pond filters could use a cleaning but I haven't felt up to much past 3 days. Don't know if its a mild case of the flu but stomach sure is upset. I'm cutting back on solid food and drinking hot tea often. This too shall pass.

Carolyn, still praying for your hubby. How is he doing. Don't understand what INR is but sounds very important. I hope your not in the area of Pa. that has all the snow and power lines down. We haven't had our normal cold weather yet. As MM said weird weather.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9737043

Thank you for your continued prayers, Bonnie. INR are the blood levels with the coumadin. We are still trying to get it adjusted, but it doesn't seem to be the fiasco it was the last time. I am wondering if it is because we are going through the VA this time.

Not in that area of PA, however, they are talking about a possible storm later this week. Probably when I have to go back to work on Thursday. I saw where our high temperature that day is 4 degrees. Makes me cold thinking about it.

I cannot believe tomorrow is New Years Eve. I am hoping I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow. Tonight I take my newest addition to the vets. She is a little 3 month old kitten that Dave got for me, because he felt badly about Christmas. He didn't need to feel badly about Christmas - it was what it was, but I am enjoying the kitten.

I am hoping 2014 is better for all of us.

Carolyn
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2014
12:06 PM

Post #9738225

Here is my strange fish; silvery colored

Thumbnail by Oberon46

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2014
3:50 PM

Post #9738331

It's still a goldfish...the original traits are that silvery gold color, and often come out when you fish have spawned. Traditionally, they are very hardy, occassionally they will change color as they get older. Name him something fancy like Maximus Sparticus!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2014
4:36 PM

Post #9738354

lol. You mean odds are that he may stay that color. We think he is very pretty but couldn't figure out where he came from. Thanks Mary
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2014
11:24 AM

Post #9739432

Carolyn,
Glad Dave is progressing. He has a wonderful nurse and that helps. I'll keep praying.
I've been watching weather up north and it makes me shiver plus feel sorry for all those without power in that severe cold. Hunker down and keep warm. Enjoy your kitten. Animals have a way of soothing our souls cause they give unconditional love.

Oberon,
Your fish is very pretty. Sparticus wore silver colored armor and I'm sure that's what M. Mary was thinking of. Very appropriate name. It's wonderful to have good imagination. I take it these are fish that you tanked to save for putting in your pond come spring.

Well we finally are getting some cooler weather. Got up this morning, ran out to check Hawaii sunset vine and it looks ok but I think tonight I'll bring it in. It went down to 42 and very windy.
I won't complain considering what up north has. BRRRRRR

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2014
12:18 PM

Post #9739456

Yes I took ten babies from the pond. They are all healthy and range from white to orange with everything inbetween.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2014
2:57 PM

Post #9739590

Bonnie - thank you so much. The prayers mean a lot. We are getting there slowly. He was trying to help me get the snow blower started yesterday and hurt himself. The thing is that the snowblower has an electric start, so he did that pushing the plug on to the snowblower. It did go on hard, but I still was kind of surprised. I think it will take awhile. He went to the store with me today, so did do some walking.

Love the kitten. We have decided to name her Cinder. All of my family have always been partial to black cats. I have had them since I was a kid.

Oberon - I think it is great that you brought in some fish to put into the pond in the spring. It must be fun to have them in the house too. I always had fish tanks when I was a kid. Loved them - especially at night with the aquarium lights on and all the other lights off. I could watch them for hours like that.

I am looking forward to watching some of the videos and dvds' that Dave has made me over the years of my pond. I am really missing it.

Stay warm everyone.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2014
5:41 PM

Post #9739677

Tell Dave to take it easy which I know from experience is easier said than done but it does pay off in healing. Walking is wonderful for him.
That's great that you have videos of your ponds from over the years. You will enjoy them I'm sure.
Years ago I had a huge video camera that was very heavy and used it until it quit. Would love to have one of the new little ones they make now. I call taking pictures making memories.

Put those movies on get a good cup of something warm and relax.

It isn't warm here any more and we are supposed to get cooler temps next week. Just in case I'll get the landscape blankets out. Weather has been really weird so far this winter.

Just had my 8 o'clock cup of hot choc.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2014
7:24 AM

Post #9739948

The weather has been beyond weird - this has been one cold winter and it started early. I suppose in an interest of fairness we could have an early spring? I know - don't count on it.

I cannot get Dave to walk. He did it once and fell so because he is so easily embarrassed, he will never do that again. To me, that is letting that moment of embarrassment and/or neighbors that may have seen him fall dictate his health. I did tell him that. As somebody I work with said - 'you can force the horses' head into the water, but you still will not make him drink'.

I have 14" of snow that I am going to need to deal with in my driveway. Not looking forward to it, but I would like to be able to drive my little Honda instead of Dave's SUV. The gas is better for my Honda too.

Stay warm everyone.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2014
6:40 AM

Post #9741414

Going down to 29 tonight! Florida isn't prepared for this kind of weather (nor are my bones!)
I'm going to snap off some branches of my coleus to try and save the most important colors. I'll top off my ponds since I don't have water heaters, and make sure the water is blowing full force. Ponds here are very shallow. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2014
8:34 AM

Post #9741561

MM - if it doesn't last long, you should be ok with the pond. My understanding is that it takes more than a day or two for the gases to build up. I would still try to keep an opening in the ice though.

Let us know.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2014
8:59 AM

Post #9741587

It will be 2-3 days...then go back to the 50s on Wednesday. I'm not sure how quickly they can adjust to the temp shock, since it wasn't a gradual seasonal drop in temps, but a quick crash. Only time will tell, I think this one is beyond what I can prep for. bleh...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2014
9:14 AM

Post #9741602

Oh I can't wait till Spring to start the new pond project. LOL I keep looking out at the snow covered yard and thinking how much I want the ground to thaw and dry out so I can start digging. I have one of the big leaf castings sitting on the front porch waiting to come in start painting it.
My old pond heater died a few years ago and I replaced it with a more energy efficient model which I find tends to not work near as well. The opening that it creates will freeze shut in very cold, rainy or snowy weather.
I hope Dave will continue to improve and get his Blood leveled out. My Dad has been on coumadin for more than 20 years now. I know this is a difficult time for both of you. Ric had back surgery the second week of Nov and I have been doing pretty much all the work right now. He is getting better and stronger each week and hopefully by Spring he will be back to his normal self.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2014
12:03 PM

Post #9741727

Holly

Thank you. We will get there at some point. I am hoping the good weather comes soon too. I feel like it has been so long since I have been able to sit outside and enjoy the pond and the birds and flowers, and everything else.

I did not realize that Ric had back surgery. I hope he has a speedy recovery.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2014
4:56 PM

Post #9741946

Carolyn. As I told Charlie don't complain. He has covered all outside faucets and water lines.
14" of snow would put him into orbit. I have wrapped a few plants but my Australian tree fern which is my pride and joy is way above house so I could only do bottom. If plants die I'll plant again no sweat. A lot worse could happen.

M Mary, We are supposed to be going down by morning to 26 over here. A 65 degree drop in just a few hours is radical. Jeff took Barney big pleco out of small pond and is coming back with a heater for him.

Well it finally happened====heron emptied out 1/2 of small pond and was standing on end of walkway this morning at 7:30 eyeballing big ones in larger pond. He didn't even fly up with me standing on other end. He circled house and went across road into top of pine tree. He didn't get my big ones but sure had a good meal on 7 and 8" ones plus 2 very small orandas that Jeff had just brought over. That bird will never return again guaranteed.
I put a black plastic hiding tunnel in pond and all the stones fell out and it tipped so I went wadding about noon time and also put rocks back up into wall of one section. I have another one but wouldn't do any good in larger pond as fish are too big to get into it without a part sticking out. Jeff came by on his way home from work and just as I said could have been worse and he agreed. I still have Blondie & Goldie, Orca and his large showa. Also the Asagi and 2 sushui which I dearly love. Bird didn't spear any of the larger ones. In all things give thanks.
That pond is straight sides and I think that helps as a deterrent. If I had lost them all I would just start right over again.
All pumps and water falls are running so can't picture a freeze over but who knows. My pool is below the skimmer so can't run that pump. If that freezes we can ice skate on it. Not really. It could crack the cement but that's a chance we just have to take.
I know I was asking for cooler weather but this is over the top. We'll make it through.

More important Carolyn and Holly is your husbs. health. I sincerely hope they recover well and in spring will be healthy and happy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2014
5:16 PM

Post #9741960

Thank you Bonnie

Hate to hear you have a heron. They will generally come back until they have you all cleaned out. Funny thing about herons, I have read they are supposed to migrate, but it seems like there is no time where we are safe from them.

Good luck with Mr. Heron, Bonnie. I know how upsetting they can be.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 6, 2014
6:32 PM

Post #9742032

Bonnie, I'm glad he didn't spork your larger ones. Years ago, I had a heron that would just spear my jumbo fishes heads, couldn't eat them, but would kill them anyway. I talked to some of the professionals and they said they've seen herons do it many times, just for the sport of it. It was so sad to see them slowly die over the course of a week or 2 because of their wounds. I'm so happy your special fish are still with you! Blondie and goldie I remember well, and I was afraid you'd report that you lost Orca...happy he/she is still around too!

Please add my daughter to your prayer list, she is due at the end of Feb but not doing well. I brought her home from the hospital today, total bed rest until Thursday, then she gets re-evaluated. Blood pressure 160 over 110. We just want this sweet little girl she's helping God bring into this world to wait until February.

Everyone take care and stay warm! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2014
5:16 AM

Post #9742239

Carolyn, I assure you this heron WON'T be back.

M Mary will put your daughter on my prayer list. One of my grand dgts. had that problem and only an hour after delivery her BP went right down to normal. Hopefully your dgts. will go down before then. I'll pray.

Keep warm and hope fish do ok too.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2014
2:04 PM

Post #9742678

MM - does she have toxemia? I had difficult pregnancies with my feet elevated and complete rest for 6 weeks. About drove me crazy, but both of my children were born healthy and fine. I got the impression that my mother was more upset than I was, but my mother was an RN in the labor and delivery room, so she was more knowledgeable than I was. I will definitely put all of you in my prayers. Please let us know.

Bonnie - good luck with that heron.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2014
2:17 PM

Post #9742681

MM, Thoughts and prayers comming your way.
Yours too Carolyn.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2014
7:09 PM

Post #9742928

Taira (my daughter) has preecplampsia. They worry about the mother having a stroke at some point, or the baby going into distress. They may have to take the baby early, but she's not ready enough at only 32 weeks. Thank you everyone for the prayers, I really do appreciate them.
So far the fish are good...only one night left of freezing temps. Hopefully that will be it for the year, although February usually has the colder temps.
Bonnie, maybe your heron knew he needed to fatten up before the cold hit! Darn buggers!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2014
1:56 PM

Post #9743400

I checked my pond as the pipe running water in combined with nice warm weather +30 or above has opened up a good size hole in the ice (3-4' across). I saw a fish (black, red, white) about 6-7" long laying along side my water lily pot sunk in the deep end. Assuming he is one of the fish from last fall (like duh, what else would he be) he has grown a lot. Was nice to see him out in the open where I think the water is fresher and has more oxygen than down in the caves. I am sure we have more cold weather and snow coming but still encouraging.

Merry, isn't 32 weeks 8 months? Early for sure but still very viable if distress develops and they have to do a C-section. Also less stressful for Mom and baby than a natural birth holding out for a natural birth. Will be holding good thoughts for Taira and your granddaughter -- you too.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2014
9:15 AM

Post #9744572

M Mary will certainly remember Taira in prayer plus baby and grandma.
Prayer changes many situations. If baby comes early it could be perfectly healthy. Look to the GREAT PHYSICIAN.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2014
1:09 PM

Post #9745440

Carolyn and Holly continued prayers for their full recovery, and M Mary I hear ya on your Taira, praying for a return to normal BP for her and full term for the wee one. My DIL is due later this month with our second grand baby this one is a boy. Please keep us posted.

Just getting back to DG after a bout of a massive sinus infection and flair up of the Asthma... but didn't delayed forked out the month and went to the Dr asap. So now today has been the first good sign that the antibiotics are working on the sinus infection and caught the asthma before it could get a strong hold on me. In October had a 6 week bout with the asthma... The coughing is the worst I didn't want a repeat of having another hernia... and without an income and no health insurance it wouldn't be getting repaired...

I'm just glad the cold spell didn't last more than the 3 days and that we are back to sunshine an warmer weather.

Looking forward to the rain that is just off shore now.

Jan
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2014
1:23 PM

Post #9745454

Ric is doing very well. Dr. appt earlier this week got a thumbs up for him to go back to all activities. He will need to build back up to full strength but there are no more restrictions and they are very pleased with his outcome and recovery.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2014
1:53 PM

Post #9745477

Great news, so glad Ric is doing better. Thanks for the update.

Jan
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2014
2:41 PM

Post #9745498

This has been quite a winter for you all down south. I feel badly for each and every one. Hopefully spring which is surely on it's way to you if not to us yet will lift the spirits and infuse the body with health and strength.

I misspoke earlier. What I thought was a large fish was only the orange bottom of a lily pot that had turned over. Ahhhh, wishful thinking. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2014
6:00 PM

Post #9745598

Oberon, I'm in very good shape for 76 and VERY thankful. Of course little aches and pains but nothing drastic. Just move a little slower but I can still work outside which is great for me.

Holly, glad Ric is doing well. He'll be back to his working self in no time.
Carolyn, Hope your hubby is improving each day.

Right now we are getting a gully washing rain which is wonderful.

Son spotted a skinned place on one of the big fish today I hadn't noticed. Not bad but tomorrow I will salt the pond. If that doesn't work to heal this time he will take it to his house for doctoring. I've had enough of that for a while. Heron must have tried to get him. Like I said he won't be back.
Stay warm up north.

Ones left in old pond are lively and eating well. Water temp went up to above 60 so I let them eat. They have very good appetites.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2014
1:59 PM

Post #9748628

This year the ice on my pond is the thickest it has ever been in 13 years of ponding. Sometime ago, when it did a bit of a melt down, I found 2 large holes in my ice. I saw paw prints too. I don't know if a cat fell in or if a cat fell in and was able to get out. I would love for the ice to melt enough for me to see into the pond. Even with our weather in the 50's for several days, there was still a thick layer of white ice on the pond - I hate to think of some poor kitty drowning in my pond as well as the possibility of contaminating my fish...

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2014
6:02 PM

Post #9748784

There are always paw prints on my pond around the air holes. Some are even my dog's - dufus. Never found a corpse yet. I think the animals are too sensitive to the condition of the ice; like the cracking or flexing of it. Not sure about the holes though. Hmmmm.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2014
7:18 PM

Post #9748808

Just looking forward to (and please take that in the most sarcastic tone) the next Florida freeze! I'm not sure what ever happened to "global warming" but I guess they left Florida off the itinerary. So, once again, I'll cover as much as I have time for, and hope for the best with my fingers crossed. Sigh, sigh, and one more sigh...I'm not sure what's up this year, but sheeeesh! :) Roll with the punches, eh?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2014
8:02 PM

Post #9748843

MerryMary I am with ya. I just want to get well enough so I can get on with planting my veggie seeds and some flower seeds.

Jan
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2014
6:45 AM

Post #9749045

Just think about Oberon and Carolyn with ice on ponds and it will make you thankful we are here and just contending with cold temps. Charlie always says if he ever sees ice on the ponds there gone. I agree. That's too much work for me. I told him we would have to build a bldg. of some sort and put the pond inside to which he said sure Miss Gotrock's. Good for a laugh anyway.
I also covered what I could and once again loaded up potted stuff and put inside Charlie's shed. I really need a heated greenhouse if only for a couple of mos. NOW that should be possible. I can dream anyway.

Jan don't push the seed planting unless you can keep them warm. I did that one year with 100 and some little plastic cups (like to see seeds grow inside) and put them out by pool and lost all of them to a cold snap. Before you know it we will be sweating again and complaining about heat. Heat makes me tired and I don't last as long working in it.

I sure hope fish don't croak from the cold. They have made it thru before. So I shall hope.

Keep warm all both north and south.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2014
7:54 AM

Post #9749101

I suspect the fish are much hardier than we are. They have to be to survive being dormant for months (5), not eating, then coming back bigger than ever. Plants? Now that is another thing. And it is much easier for us that simply watch all the plants die and get covered with snow. Like, what's to worry about? Wait til spring, watch seedlings come out of the ground, and start again. But to struggle to keep stuff alive that hasn't died from cold over and over? Man, that is stressful and a lot of work. You have my sympathy. I would rather they just croak and let me be moody for the winter until spring when out they come.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2014
2:57 PM

Post #9749400

I have had the paw prints every winter, however this winter there was a hole in the ice that was the size of a large cat or a small dog. The thing that was odd was their was another hole the same size on the opposite shore with paw prints as well. I think whatever (cat?) may have gotten out, but not positive. I am hoping there isn't anything dead in the pond. If there is and it decomposes before I can get to it, that will kill my fish. At least with the cooler weather, I would think the process of decomposition would be slowed down some.

We are supposed to get cold again too - bone chilling cold. It has definitely gotten old, not that I am a fan of winter. I am beginning to think that nowhere is safe from the cold anymore - perhaps Ecuador - they are on the equator.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2014
4:54 PM

Post #9749461

I sure hope you don't have a frozen cat in your pond. YUK

We just have cold snaps but when freezes come back to back for a few years that's bad. That's how we lost our grove.
Thank God we didn't depend on it for a living like lots of my friends did. We only had 10 acres in fruit and that's not enough to live on. They lost thousands of dollars. The banks owned lots of large groves and sold them mostly for housing developments just to recoup their loss on grove loans. Most people who owned their groves still sold them out. It's very expensive to replant and have to wait at least 5 years for a good crop worth marketing. I still miss ours and the privacy it created.

Hope you stay warm and fish stay safe.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2014
6:09 PM

Post #9749509

So the cold killed the trees? Not just temporarily killed leaves and froze the fruit??

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2014
8:36 AM

Post #9749865

Carolyn I so hope you don't have something dead in there as well. The though of having to take that out, not a fun part of a pond, plus that it would kill your fish. I'm thinking I'm glad I didn't have a pond up north in the garden. Starting to sound like too many worries for me, although to have a pond with just plants might just be more my style.

Mary, yes our oranges take a beating when these cold spells come down this far. But now with the diseases that are so rampart it worries me about them. I was reading the other day in a local ag mag one farmer on the east has started growing peaches as his oranges go to the wayside.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2014
9:38 AM

Post #9749891

Yes, diseases of plants are scary. So many new ones seem to pop up. And very resistant to treatment.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2014
6:11 PM

Post #9750212

Oberon,
If citrus trees loose their leaves there's a good chance they are living through the cold. If the leaves hang on and the cold gets to the wood they are gone. We chain sawed all of ours down and then pulled the roots out with a front end loader and burned the piles. Was a sad sight and I still see it going on now. What we have now they are calling green desease or cankor. I haven't seen a good healthy grove for a long time. Central Fl. used to be one of the largest citrus producing areas in Fl. Those days are gone.
I know a former extension agent in Brooksville I think that grows peaches and nectarines. I have a nectarine tree and it hasn't grown a bit ever since I planted it. I love nectarines but doubt I will ever get any from it. Most of the ag. land is now in houses. Ug!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2014
6:16 PM

Post #9750217

Bonnie, I know what you are saying a few months back when we drove over to Kiss... to take a look around, I just couldn't believe how many groves were gone and in their place houses... Such a sad sight. I just wonder how many years down the road will the welcome centers stop serving orange juice.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2014
6:27 PM

Post #9750228

Probably won't have orange juice unless its from Cal.

I sure miss all the orange trees.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2014
3:30 AM

Post #9750360

I miss the fragrance. There's nothing like it's sweetness, when you catch it's scent on the breeze. Now it's only a memory like the shell dolls and orange grove honey of my youth and visits to my grandparents.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2014
10:22 AM

Post #9750550

We are holdin g in the mid 30's. If only it would hold til March. Big open spot on pond. I doubt our newest idea would have worked quite as well with our more usual cold weather. It had formed a tall ice tower at the beginning of the winter so Damien lowered the hose to drop only about 6" into the pond rather than 2'. Less drop less splash less ice surrounds.

Surely they (fish) cannot complain about lack of oxygen now. Water is disturbed maybe 5-6" down.

One of my tank fish developed problems with swim bladder. I moved him to another tank and tried to feed him peas per my book on fish but no soap. He eventually just lay on the bottom and was tilting over. I sent him to fish heaven with regrets. Still have 9 nice healthy ones growing and getting ready for pond.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2014
2:03 PM

Post #9750714

Mary

you are warmer than we are. We are supposed to get into the bitter cold again next week. Enough already!

I am sorry to hear about your fish. I wish I had room for an aquarium. I had one when I was a kid. I loved it.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2014
2:38 PM

Post #9750745

My favorite smell of all time, is driving through an orange grove when the trees are full of blossoms! I could just fall asleep under one!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2014
5:09 PM

Post #9750815

I found a gold fish in the skimmer in the pond. An orange and white one about 6" long, just lazing around. Pond is almost half ice free and the water is crystal clear. I keep hoping to see fish at that end (opposite the skimmer) but no luck. They could be under the remaining ice not wanting to be out in the open. It was so good to see even one little gold fish. Gives me hope for the others. Somehow those who make it through winter are always bigger than in the fall.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2014
5:14 PM

Post #9750818

I always thought the fish seemed to be larger in the spring than they were when we put the pond to bed in the fall.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2014
7:54 PM

Post #9750890

When our house was in the middle of our grove blossom time smelled heavenly. The white blossoms would blow around in the wind. Blossoms were always welcomed because when they dropped off that would be an orange start. GEEEEZE I miss them.

Oberon, sorry about your little fish. I hope you and Carolyn have some living happily under the ice.
Checked mine today and water was above 55 degrees so I fed them just a little. Don't want them to get impacted with food they can't pass. Still am amazed at big fish cause they just don't seem too interested in eating. They eat but very slow and never a feeding frenzy like the other ones in the smaller pond. They are still living so I guess they are getting enough food.

Stay warm all.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2014
9:53 PM

Post #9750929

I guess their bodies keep growing even without food to draw on. I guess that makes sense. They just grow more slowly than in summer when they seem to double in size.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2014
11:40 AM

Post #9751253

Carolyn, I always think that, too. I was always so surprised at how big them seemed each spring.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2014
12:04 PM

Post #9751273

OK - so apparently it isn't just me. I wondered if others thought their fish grew during the winter as well. Must be they actually do grow at that time. No wonder they are in a weakened state in the spring.

Bonnie - your description of the time when the orange blossoms were all around the house, reminds me of when the lilacs are in bloom here. The lilacs always smell so good too although we do not get any fruit :)

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2014
6:10 PM

Post #9751518

Oh yes Carolyn. My last home up north was called bittersweet farm and the 300 foot long driveway had lilacs on both sides and when in bloom it was heavenly. I remember it well. Along the front was a stone wall covered with bittersweet and it was beautiful also. Whoever owned the place before us must have been a plant fanatic also cause there were loads of lovely shrubs everywhere. I just loved it there.

Some things you just never forget. I was working and had 4 small kids at that time so didn't do much with flowers but we sure had a very large vegetable garden in the front and I canned a lot of food up.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2014
6:02 AM

Post #9754590

Bonnie- I would love to be sitting on the back deck with the waterfalls running it the pond, watching the breeze in the dogwoods and the lilacs.

Are you still cold down there? I keep thinking about Mary (Oberon) who has had the 2nd winter in a row that is warmer than mine. Something in my head that I just cannot accept that. Somehow Alaska should be colder than NE Penna.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2014
7:19 AM

Post #9754629

LOL. Sorry Carolyn. It does seem to defy logic. It was 38F this morning and stuff is still melting. I look out the front window to the cul de sac and it is shiny with ice and water as it melts. Lots of car accidents. Divats in the medians from cars losing control are common. One fellow loses control, panics the people behind as to where he is going to end up, they hit their brakes (going 50-60 idiots) and they go sailing into someone else. Damien passed a rolled over van (notoriously unreliable on ice or snow) and four other cars in various places in the snow nearby along with the usual entourage of fire trucks, police, and ambulances.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2014
8:51 AM

Post #9754708

it is 15 degrees here... it was 1.9 when I got up.

We have our idiot drivers too. There are alot of them.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2014
2:21 PM

Post #9754880

Holy cow. You really are in the cold zone. It will swap soon though. Hate to see it; well, would like to see you guys warm up but that usually mean we teter-toter the other way.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2014
5:35 AM

Post #9755265

Can't picture 50 or 60 driving on ice or snow. DUH

All I can say is think spring. Especially Carolyn. If my husb. complains one more time about our weather I'm going to clobber him over the head. The driving conditions would keep me housebound and I don't like that.

I'm still painting on sets of shelves for my church room. It is chilly but paint is spreading good. It's 7:30AM and sun is out so I'm out. Supposed to go up to about 67 today. Hope so.

Keep warm all.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2014
5:30 AM

Post #9764848

Now that we have 14" of snow, it is starting to get cold again. We are in the negative digits this morning. Mary (Oberon), I was wondering if this may be typical weather for your area? I did see where Waverly NY made the national news with the snowfall this past week - that is a 5 minute drive in normal conditions for me.

My pond has deep holes in the snow going to down to my heaters - they are still both working which is a good thing. If they were not, I don't think I could get to the top of the pond.

Stay warm - I keep thinking about how nice it would be to hop on a plane and visit our southern friends. One of my closest friends moved last August from this area to Southern Florida. I am hearing about a consistent 88 degrees down there - I am envious!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2014
10:32 AM

Post #9765028

Boy you are really hit. How much snow on top of your ice? It is hard to say up here. Seems like less snow which will probably be cured in the next month or so. Weather is about par although we thoroughly enjoyed our warm spell. Seems like you guys haven't gotten any breaks at all. Was so hoping our drop in temp meant a raise for you.

It can only get better unless we are headed toward a spring like last year. Yeah, what spring? Wet and cold. I will be in Ireland for part of it so that will probably save me from total frustration. I still have one gold fish inhabiting the skimmer. I check on him? each day trying to not disturb him. The ice is not that deep so he could escape if he wanted. When it gets about 1' down he would be trapped in diminishing water. I would have to save him somehow.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2014
6:21 PM

Post #9766028

I'm not complaining--we had 3 days of no sun and drizzly rain which is better than snow. Temps around the high 50's but it did feel chilly. Today sun came out and I got to go out and feed my fish. Which was great. Water temp was almost 60.

My friend in Conn. said she stocked up on groceries as they are expecting another snow. She said her car was frozen into her driveway ice. Yuk

Take care all and keep warm.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2014
6:25 PM

Post #9766032

No power here for 4 days. Glad to be back online. We do pretty well with out coal stove for heat. The gas heater in the GH doesn't need electric so that was fine as well. Only issue has been the pond heater that just can't keep up this winter. So the pond has been frozen over for a couple of weeks now. I am sure there will be some lost fish and frogs. My fish are just gold fish but some of them are pretty big now and I hate finding them and the frogs floating when the ice thaws out.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2014
2:46 PM

Post #9766642

Holly

Hate to see the fish and frog go - but the important thing is that you and Ric are alright.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2014
5:03 PM

Post #9766750

You could pour boiling water over a spot until you get a hole. I did that when one of my deicers failed. Oh, shoot. You have no electricity. Well, make a hole then stick a basket ball in it to prevent it from freezing over (or so I have read) then as soon as possible stick in a deicer.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2014
4:49 AM

Post #9766963

What a great idea, didn't even think of that. But this deicer has preformed so poorly for me that the pond has been freezing up quite often even without the additional no electric. We are back on line now. I may just take some boiling water out there, it has been frozen over so much this winter that I am sure that there will be some damage.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 11, 2014
5:41 AM

Post #9766999

You can also put pond salt to melt some ice.

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2014
7:46 AM

Post #9767057

Oh, great idea. Won't hurt a thing and might even be helpful to the fish.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2014
8:08 AM

Post #9767072

I have never used pond salt. I will check that out.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2014
5:53 PM

Post #9767443

Holly,
I use the water softner salt in pond as its much cheaper. Blue bag at Walmart has no additive which you need for fish. If I remember it's about $4.50 per 40 pd. bag. Good thing Belle thought of that.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 11, 2014
6:12 PM

Post #9767463

I use the same salt, blue bag and it is real cheap at Home depot or lowes.
Also I add a cup of the salt at least every other week during winter.

Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2014
5:54 AM

Post #9767677

It gives your fish a nice slime coat to keep bacteria out. You end up with far less body ulcers and fin rot.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2014
9:57 AM

Post #9767826

I salt every Fall before shutting down. With my water exchanges in the Spring the salt is out of the pond before the plants really get going. Since salting the pond in the Fall I have had very few health issues with my fish. Salting the pond tends to be controversial - but I swear by it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2014
4:13 PM

Post #9768054

Very interesting, I really don't bother with my fish much. I mostly just have feeder gold fish, I buy a few in the spring to put in the small shallow water features. Then in the fall I move them to the deeper birdbath pond to overwinter. You really don't see them much at all. One of these days when I get a larger pond I would like to get a few Koi or fancier gold fish.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 12, 2014
4:55 PM

Post #9768081

I placed tarp over the deeper side and they are growing fast. I bet some are 18 inches.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2014
5:23 PM

Post #9768096

Holly/Belle

would love to pictures - can you both post some?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 12, 2014
6:03 PM

Post #9768127

Soon I hope!!!

belle
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2014
12:14 PM

Post #9768610

Here is a summer/winter pic of the Bird bath pond as you can see the deep well of the pond gets pretty full of plants so the fish aren't easily seen once it starts filling in.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2014
3:01 PM

Post #9768697

Holly

the first one looks so nice and lush and green. The second photo looks like my yard. It is snowing now -

I really like your birdbath. I'll bet the birds like it with the plants - it is so natural looking.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2014
8:28 AM

Post #9769023

I love the pond. The greenery is so lush. Hard to believe there are fish down there.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2014
2:02 PM

Post #9769836

I love the frog. Reminds me of me when I'm tired and ready to sit down.

Pool is empty now and ready for my SIL to pressure wash. I used my little 1,700 SI one but it doesn't do much. I will keep on washing the screen and metal and deck as deck needs to be repainted also. Plus all patio furniture needs cleaning ready for spring which is fast approaching.
I'll never understand people who say there bored. When you have a home etc. the work is never done.

I see you all in New Eng. are getting more snow. I know you all will be glad when spring comes. I just hope Carolyn you still have power.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2014
2:05 PM

Post #9769837

I do have power Bonnie. Thank you for thinking of me.

I am so ready for spring. I feel like it will never get here!

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2014
2:32 PM

Post #9769856

Ya'll have had a rough winter this year. Charlie told me there was a 100 car pileup on the Pa. turnpike. We used to drive that every year when we came to Fl. to visit his dad. Hope there were no serious injuries. Couldn't drive on ice and snow again. I'd be a nervous wreck. I remember what sliding around was like.

Spring is just around the corner and then you can see your fish. Fed mine this morning and was thinking of you at the time. They were zipping around as usual and always ready to eat. Big ones are such slow eaters. It has to practically fall into their mouths but I watch and make sure they are eating. What a laid back bunch.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2014
4:45 PM

Post #9771896

Well it's starting again. 1 big fish jumped out of pond and died. I didn't even see it my dog alerted me to it. Today ordered chemicals to treat another one that looks like fin rot starting.

I'll treat the whole pond. Coming out of winter and bacteria and guess their immune systems aren't up to par. If it doesn't straighten out my son will take it to his house and quaranteen as I'm tired of treating sick fish.

Another person that bought these big fish reported to Jeff that in 2 months they lost all they bought from same man in Winter Springs. Big moma cost me over $200. well this one isn't going to. It's Jeffs so he said he will take my big tank or buy one and take it to his house. That's fine with me.

BTW, anyone in Fl. The central Fl. koi show in Orlando is March 7,8 and 9. Same place it has been in years past.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2014
5:40 PM

Post #9771923

Bonnie

Sorry to hear you are having problems again. What did you order to treat your pond? Have you tried Medikoi? I have found that I really like it. Medikoi treats fungal and bacterial problems.

http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Info/Guarding-Against-Sick-Fish

Let us know.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 19, 2014
11:47 AM

Post #9772401

Bonnie,
Bummer. you went through a lot with the big Momma.

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2014
12:39 PM

Post #9772433

I hate to see you go through this again. One spring like last year should be enough for any person. Hope it is a one shot deal and all else goes well.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2014
4:50 PM

Post #9773292

Fish farm owner advised Proform-C. Worked in and on pond all day today. Drained it down to my ankles. Cleaned all filtration again.
Wish I had a place to take all the big ones out and drain it completely and pressure wash it with bleach as I did before. Yeah it takes a lot of rinsing but does a good job. Makes liner look like new.
The leaves are driving me nutty. Netted them out 3 times today. Right now I'm waiting for it to refill and then can add Proform again. Needs 3 treatments. Then I will buy a good monthly treatment and keep up with it. Aqua Meds has some that sound good.
Carolyn I will check that one out. I'm just pooped from climbing in and out all day. Really ready for bed.
If the sickish one doesn't perk up I'm going to tell Jeff to take him home and tend to him himself. I don't need anymore $200. spent on fish meds. I have tank he can have. Good thing we have a truck I can put it up into and deliver it.
I'm tired. Going to rest and hopefully before midnight pond will be up enough to tern filtration back on and add meds and then go to seep.
I never suffer with boredom. LOL
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 20, 2014
5:43 PM

Post #9773318

Oh Bonnie I can imagine you exhausted!!!!

Belle
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2014
6:44 PM

Post #9773361

I have stuff from AquaMeds including ArcticBlend winter bacteria I add. Works down to 30F. I will check my every growing supply closet to see what I have for the spring and see what he recommends for startup.

My babies from last fall are growing great. Just gold fish but all so different. The two that were a rather strange metallic grey have changed. Well, one has. He is not gold. Not gold like an orange gold fish, but gold like 14K gold. Really pretty. I can hardly wait to turn them loose.

D is talking about retiring to Equador up in the hills where it is always spring. Well, they think of it as spring. We would count it a wonderful summer. Who knows.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2014
5:43 AM

Post #9773583

At 1:30AM was able to turn everything back on. Also netted out 1 dead fish. Added Proform and went to bed. Not going to do water change again today. Just going to do some more vacuuming as I got out a lot of mud. Leaves are really falling by the ton.
I'm going to take a nap at noon hopefully. I'm like a walking zombie.
As I said another girl that bought some said all of hers died except 1. Don't think these fish were healthy to begin with but I'm trying.
Carolyn, I think I'll get some Microblift spring start up. Will have to find out if it can be used with or after Proform wares off.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2014
9:31 AM

Post #9773699

Made it to bed by 2AM. Fish died so took him out and turned waterfalls on and put Proform in. It can just sit and enjoy the Proform today. I'll do some more vacuuming. Got 3 bags of mud out of bottom. Tomorrow I'll do last water change and add
I'm quitting at noon and getting some sleep if at all possible.

Can you tell I'm having a pity party. This too shall pass.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2014
9:33 AM

Post #9773700

Son came by from work and we netted the pond as high winds are expected today.
Did a little more vacuuming. Water looks clearer.

Carolyn,
Water Garden site is where I bought my skimmers. Nice people.

Jeff is going to Amazon and order some Microblift for summer. I'm going to find out shelf life of Prazi and get some of that too. Ordering from far off is too long once a fish becomes sick.

Time for my nap.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2014
11:21 AM

Post #9773794

Bonnie, How does that much mud get into your pond? Or is it just decaying leaves? If it's leaves, you may want to use more sludge-buster type products? When the weather gets colder, which we've had here this year, the fish go down to the bottom. That's where all of the sludge sits too, and they often times get the body sores.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2014
11:56 AM

Post #9773819

I used the sludge buster from MIcroblift and it works but it stained my rocks in both pond and water falls. I quit using it as I removed most all the gravel and vacuum fairly often now that is it easier with no gravel bottom. Have almost gotten the rock scrubbed clean except for the bottom few inches which don't show that much. I have ML PL and Proform for spring. I know one outfit recommended Prazi as a one time treatment in spring also. A bit far off for me but as you say, with having to get it mailed it might be the time to look more seriously.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2014
5:23 PM

Post #9774029

I get my Prazi from ebay.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2014
5:58 PM

Post #9774041

Hm. I will look it up and compare prices. Sometimes when you buy from Ebay you are buying from a retailer who is online.

I just looked and for 50 grams on Ebay it is $30.00; on AquaMeds it is $69.99

Wow!!!

This message was edited Feb 21, 2014 6:02 PM
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2014
6:31 PM

Post #9774058

I know no other way for the mud to get into pond that wind born dirt. And yes there are some leaves on there too but at least now I can vacuum them out even though it takes a long time to vacuum. Only other way would be to climb in and dip net them out.

I've been researching a lot of products on different sites and will order some Summer Blend which also contains sludge busters.

You know what gets me-so often people get sick of koi and throw them into mud bottom wild ponds or canals and they thrive and multiply. We sweat out keeping perfect water quality for them and they croak. That tells me mother nature knows lots more than we do.

If I didn't have gators in my canal I'd like to put some koi in there and see how they faired. Only thing is it runs through large swamp all the way out to hiway 50 and I'd probably never see them again. Cause that's miles.

Tomorrow is last draw down and Proform -C application. I will be more faithful doing water changes and adding a water treatment ea. mo. The following is what Aqua Meds advocates.

How many of you follow this regimen?
every week 10% water change
every 2 weeks 20% water change
every 3 weeks 30% water change
JUST CURIOUS
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2014
6:38 PM

Post #9774060

Bonnie

I would like to follow that type of schedule for water exchanges, but we pay an arm and a leg for water and sewer here.

I was wondering about the mud at the bottom of your pond too. We get a lot of crud from the fish and the plants, but it isn't mud - just crud. Vacuuming a couple times a year takes care of it.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2014
7:24 PM

Post #9774083

Carolyn,
Maybe I should call it loose dirt. You'll have to ask God how it gets here cause he controls wind born particles I think. Unless those big fish do too many poops. LOL
No plants in there but I plan to add some this summer.
If I had to pay for all the water I use it would be as much as having a mortgage. I do not waste water however cause when a well goes dry you have to have another dug and permits and that's up in the thousands.

I'm ordering from Webb's this time. I'm going to keep water testing records and see how I do with their products.

I'm still researching and reading info. on Aqua Meds site and some others. Some differ greatly so its hard to know which to follow but I think mixing brand name products is not good so I am going to stick to 1 for this season.

Good luck all with your ponds and fish.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2014
8:38 AM

Post #9774318

I sort of do water changes besides the big one in the spring by vacuuming. Depending on how long I vacuum (which pumps out water along with crud) I could drop it by maybe 20% a couple times a year, with a big one at year end. But no set exchanges here. I suspect the water is pretty high in nitrates in the spring but then the fish are dormant and there is no plant life in there to generate bad stuff. I have the spring meds to dump in and have been trying to get the bacteria for cold water in there every two weeks. It gets tough when the holes get small and far away from the bank. I still fear walking on the ice.

I ordered more water celery as it spreads fast on the surface and has lots of roots. Is good for the water cleansing and requires about no maintenance. I throw it all away in the fall but am hoping it will get in the rocks like it did a few years ago and come back on it's own.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 22, 2014
11:00 AM

Post #9774451

I very seldom vacuum and I know that there are visible sludge. My pond is very shallow, mostly 3 feet and 4 foot at one end where they congregate during winter.

I do not put meds, salt, peroxide and baking soda during spring and summer. No proportions.

My pond is old maybe 15 years and most of my problem is algae but I now can control it with peroxide and baking soda. Perhaps I had been lucky!!

Also my pond is covered so no leaves. I don't think I have the time to worry about the leaves most especially during golf season.

It's been nice here and the fish are swimming around. I gave them few slices of wheat bread and they gobbled them.

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2014
11:24 AM

Post #9774465

We do use the Pondzyme with Barley to help take care of the sludge. It does wok as well as the bogs to help keep the crud and sludge from getting out of hand.

I am anxious to get things going, but we still have quite a bit of snow, even though we have lost about 1 1/2 feet of snow in the last couple of days., but there is still quite a bit of ice on the pond. We have done start up generally around the first week of March, but I don't see that happening this year because we are supposed to go back into the deep freeze. I am really looking forward to spring.

Bonnie - It sounds like more than just fish poop. Is your pond by a road where there would be traffic stirring up a lot of dust? We have wind here too and don't have mud in the pond, although we do have the cherry tree which can be a problem too.

Medikoi is a food to feed your fish that will work from the inside out. I am thinking of ordering some to keep just in case.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2014
11:38 AM

Post #9774475

I believe Bonnie mentioned a road nearby that she once speculated might be causing some of the dirt problem. Real dirt.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2014
12:20 PM

Post #9774490

I think she mentioned it as well. I think that is what the problem is, don't you?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2014
12:43 PM

Post #9774514

Must be. It must be a really dusty road but that would certainly add quite a bit of dirt to the pond. Only a thick hedge might help with some trees to catch the dust. But with Bonnie's luck (no offense Bonnie) they are on the south side and would block out sun. Course that would also cut down on algae. Just don't know. Get the county to put something on the road to cut down dust? Ha. Not likely.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2014
1:01 PM

Post #9774519

I know one time I bought cheap fish food, and it seemed to have ground corn in it? Anyway, I thought I had sand get into my pond somehow, but I really think it was what the fish couldn't digest. I have a lot of large fish, so it was a lot of bottom waste. Looked like finely ground grits. I can't guarantee it was corn, but I do know that when I changed back to a medium priced food, I didn't have as much of a problem.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2014
6:27 PM

Post #9774712

That is interesting MM. Bonnie - what are you feeding your fish? Do you think this could be part of the problem?

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2014
1:07 AM

Post #9775427

These large fish haven't been eating well ever since we bought them. I mentioned that 1 girl that helped Jeff net up these fish from the man in Winter Spgs. had all of hers die except 1 that she bought from same place.
I feed them floating pellets that I bought at the fish farm same formula M. Mary uses. Also, have fed it to other pond full of fish for over a year and they are lively and doing well. I didn't pay enough attention to water quality and that may have caused a problem. Their systems could have been weakened during the winter and parasites could attack them from what I've read when water temps jumped up fast.
I've talked with a lot of ponders and they all say the same thing. So many variables its difficult to know which problem to attack first. Water is clear now and they seem livelier if that's a good word. I used to get rattled about it but no more.
Tomorrow I will order summer blend, medizyme and sludge remover plus vacuum more often.
My old smaller pond has fish that are now 6 years old and have had sickness but made it through so far. The leaves are more trouble this year than ever before. I put bird netting over both of them but doesn't catch it all so next time I'll build some frames and staple it to them and then lay it over ponds. I don't like the netting but it seems necessary.

Right now I have to move on to working on the pool. I'll try to attach a pic of it.
It's 20X40 and ranges from 10 feet to 3 1/2. How I dread it but it will be nice when the heat strikes.
Bonnie

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens         

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2014
10:49 AM

Post #9775733

Bonnie, your pool it huge. I guess I never realized that when I was at your house.
I spent the morning cleaning filters...bleh. Can't wait to get going on the pond again and maybe get everyone in there by mid summer! With reeeeeal filteration~
:)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2014
11:11 AM

Post #9775745

We may not get hot weather but I love to swim and dive. Will never have my own pool so have to settle for Hawaii every so often. But no one in my family likes to swim so I have to go alone. I went snorkeling off Mauii with a group but no family. Pretty much swam by myself but it was still wonderful. Diving down to swim with the fish, the exercise. Great.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2014
5:53 PM

Post #9776055

Boy I sure would love an inground pool.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2014
9:09 PM

Post #9776164

M. Mary, I can't wait for you to get your pond up and running. Your fish will be so happy to have a permanent home. Big ones are eating better now, maybe they finally realize they aren't going to get anymore cat food. That guy that had them must have cut a lot of corners.

Oberon, Oh boy would I love to see Hawaii for the plant life and also beautiful clear water to swim in. My DH doesn't even go into our pool when its up and running. My grands and great grand kids love it when they are here.

Holly,
Give it some serious thought before putting in a pool. Who is going to do the maintenance work. I know pool builders tell everyone now no maintenance just throw chemicals in. That is very false. Pool water gets out of wack just like ponds do and takes a lot of $$$ to get it back right. They don't make pools anymore that have to be painted like mine. I did get a company out here once to see about putting a modern finish on it. $25,000. so that wasn't possible. When I can no longer do the work myself I will do what M. Mary did and throw some koi in there and let it go.
Question for M. Mary. Do you run your pool filter with the koi in there? I'm sure water would become a cesspool without some water turnover. I have a DE Hayward filter and I can't feature it handling any fish detritus. As deep as the pool is we would probably never see the fish again. I'm sitting here laughing. Can't picture fish in the pool.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2014
5:34 AM

Post #9776296

I'm running 3 pressure canister filters on the pool. Dropped the water down to half. It's a lot of maintainence to do it this way, which is why I'm eager to get the other one done. The pool is 20x10. It's definitely not attractive, just functional. 3 pumps going, too~

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2014
5:39 AM

Post #9776300

I "have" seen people convert their pools into koi ponds, but they switched to a bead filter with a leaf trap and UV light. Being able to backwash is important.

What kind of filters do the rest of you use on your ponds?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2014
8:49 AM

Post #9776447

Just one 2500 pressure filter with a 25W UV and a separate 55W UV
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2014
5:15 PM

Post #9776710

We have had an above ground pool for many years, but I have always wanted an inground. I get serious pool envy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2014
2:15 PM

Post #9777394

My DH wants an inground pool. Truthfully it is not something that speaks to me. Not sure why as I love to swim.

Your pool looks huge Bonnie.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2014
4:51 PM

Post #9777493

M. Mary, I can backwash the pool filter but then I loose all the DE and I have to put in new. Will have to replace it all now we are starting over after painting.
Wow, running 3 filters. The offer of my pump still goes. You should see all the debris it took out of my pool. It's only a little thing but pumped out all of mine. The pond vac can't pump out more than 3 head feet so I didn't bother trying it.
We would never have a pool if it hadn't been on the house when we bought it. Ours is very old so its HIGH maintenance and not full functioning. As I said before it needs a new bottom drain but that's not possible for us to afford so I just keep struggling to keep it decent. I use a 100 lb. tub of chlorine a season plus other chemicals.

Carolyn nobody in their right mind would build a pool this big. I know the depth is not allowed in Fl. now. Usually home pools are 6 feet max. We had a big diving board but it snapped one day when a big kid was bouncing right on the end. Our insurance man said we couldn't have one now. That's foolish cause anyone could fall in deep end just walking around it. When my little great grandchildren are here their mom makes them wear a life preserver which is fine with me. I keep 2 on hand also at all times. Here they have to be screened or fenced. They are considered a public danger.
In my county a pond can't be deeper than 2 feet without permitting and a fence. I didn't know that when we built both ponds I just happened to think that was a good depth.

Tomorrow my SIL is coming down from N. Fl. with his big pressure washer to do pool and I do so appreciate it cause I usually have to it by myself. Unfortunately we are supposed to get heavy rain so don't know if he will work in rain or not. I did today but I'm goofy and didn't quit until I was very cold. I was working on screen and metal struts to get mildew all off. 62 feet of pool cage. If I ever build a new place it certainly won't have a pool this size if it has any. Nice when your young but not as I age.
I'm just praying I can persist until its redone.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 27, 2014
4:32 AM

Post #9777746

Good morning,
Dh wanted a pool when we we younger and the children were still here but one of our friends discouraged us because she has to feed all the kids that went to the pool. It is an Asia people culture!! LOL!!! Besides providing all the towels!!
I said no way and that was the end of the pool!!!

My kois are swimming around and will take p[ictures soon. Having issues with my digital camera and I does not know how to download pictures from from cell phone.

Stay warm!!!

Belle

This message was edited Feb 27, 2014 7:52 PM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2014
3:14 PM

Post #9778257

Bonnie - sounds like the ordinances changed in your area after the pool went in. I know in my area - pool or pond - if it is larger than 2ft and deeper than a couple of inches, they want a fence around it. I don't think that is a bad thing. Far better than something tragic happening.

Belle - seems to me the problem would be not so much feeding all the neighborhood children, but the fact that they would always be at your house!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 28, 2014
3:17 AM

Post #9778510

Both houses next to mine have pools and are fenced.. I think it's 8 foot. It is a City ordinance that pools has to be fenced.

Bonnie,
How's your Son's fish?

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2014
7:28 AM

Post #9778648

My whole yard is fenced. Front with chainlink and then pasture fence which is 5 strands of barbed wire, 2 strands electric and then 1 strand of high tensil steel which is also electric. Have to have good fences as we have cows. Of course people can get it if they open a gate but we try. If a cow got out into our busy (now) road it would be a disaster. Pool has separate screen cage all around it. Good fences make good neighbors.

Belle,
Besides loosing Big Momma a few months ago. This week we lost 2 more of the large ones.
1 jumped out and 1 just died with no bodily signs of ulcers etc. I have treated whole pond with Proform-C and now have Aqua Meds summer blend and sludge remover plus I vacuum it every week and clean filters same time. Leaves falling in have been a lot of work also. Hopefully it will straighten out now. The smaller fish in old pond are thriving. My large butterflys in larger pond have not been ill YET.

Beautiful here today so better get some work clothes on and get busy.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2014
9:11 AM

Post #9778735

Frigid here.

Funny thing - you mention fences and pools. I remember when I was an obnoxious teenager. One of the things we would do as a group was to go 'pool hopping'. There were no ordinances regarding the fencing around the pools back then. We would go late - midnight maybe 1 am. It was fun and so many years ago. :-)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2014
5:34 PM

Post #9779069

Sounds like fun. Great to have happy memories.
I had a curfew and it sure wasn't midnight or after. I roller skated about every night but we were home long before midnight. That's how I met my husband. Still going around in circles he says.

Still waiting for stuff I ordered from Webb's last Monday. Maybe it will come tomorrow. Carolyn have you ever used their Summer Blend?

Did water testing today and ammonia was too high so put in Amquel I had on hand. I'll test again tomorrow.

Happy ponding all.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2014
5:20 AM

Post #9779282

We are having wonderful working temps in the 70's. For me that's great.
Hope to get a lot of work done before the 90's come. Heat slows me down. That's the time to hit the pool and then come inside to the AC. Up north heat is expensive - down here cooling is.
Oh well we are fortunate we can keep comfortable.

Soon you will be getting your pond back up and running Carolyn. I know you will enjoy that.

Happy day, Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2014
5:38 AM

Post #9779295

Bonnie -

I haven't tried the summer blend. Do you know what it is supposed to do? I know the spring start up is supposed to help clean things up in the pond and jump start it to spring. I have to tell you what turned me on to it, was one spring we were having problems with high ammonia levels and the lady that was selling water garden products recommended it to us to take care of the ammonia levels. The result was instantaneous! I have no idea how that can happen, but you could see the difference in the fish.

DH likes the airconditioning and I have noticed that he seems to need it more since he has been having heart problems. I have done quite a bit of reading on heart problems and there is a correlation. Myself - I am not a fan of the a/c. I prefer the heat until we get into the upper 90's.

Bonnie - do you have any pond pictures to share?

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2014
5:58 AM

Post #9779308

Out working in the 70's sounds lovely, There will be no working in my gardens it is 14* out there.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2014
5:50 PM

Post #9779698

Read all the specs. and sounds like summer blend does about the same but recommends using it all through the summer. I put recommended dosage of Amquel into pond last night and today got a 0 reading. Was relieved and fish seemed peppy. Ammonia was too high yesterday.

Talked to fish farm owner today and he said it was old fashioned and not necessary to salt a pond. When I said to maintain a good slime coat he still didn't agree. Said would take 40 lbs. to accomplish anything. Well just so happens I just bought 2- 60 lb. bags. Do you use salt with the spring start up product? Or put it in between start up doses?

People with heart problems usually can't stand high heat. As I advance in age I don't stand it well either. When it gets near noon I quit working outside during our summers. My husb. is a hot house flower and can't stand any cold. We argue over thermostat setting all of time cause to me its too hot in the house. Don't think a hot house is really good for anybody. We lived here 18 years without AC and I'd NEVER do it again. Back then I was working but still at night it was miserable. We had box fans in all the windows. Since then we have had about 5 new units put in and if it's my last dime I'll never do without it.

Pond hasn't changed much since I planted along side. Got a new computer so don't know if I still have any but I can take a few easily and think I can upload them on this one.

Holly, 14* no wonder your not working outside. I just finished up most of my pruning today and hauled lots of branches to the dump. Think it was about 72. Good thing we have an old truck cause trash men don't like all the yard waste I create. They will take it but I feel guilty cause the amount I have isn't normal this time of year. Short clipping I put in garbage can and they take that.

Happy gardening and ponding all.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2014
3:57 AM

Post #9779864

Bonnie

I salt in late fall and then do my water exchanges in the spring and have a 0 salt reading before the plants start coming. I do know that the subject of salting the pond is quite contraversial. (sp?). I have not had any problems with the fish in the winter since I have started doing this. We will see what happens this spring as I didn't get the normal amount of salt into the pond - and yes, it is give or take about 40#. Without looking, it may be closer to 50#.

I was in Southern Florida visiting my aunt and uncle during the month of July - I believe it was 1975. There was an airconditioner in my room, but I didn't turn it on, but once or twice and that because I was learning how to smoke. Not a good thing (I did finally get off the cigarettes quite a few years later). My point being that I enjoy the hot weather. Just wish it would find itself here.

Looking forward to your photos.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2014
2:21 PM

Post #9780293

Took today off after church. Needed a lazy day. Did add first dose of summer blend to pond and of course netted out leaves but they are not falling so bad thank God.

Got a few pics. They aren't the best but I tried. Waterfall house needs scrubbing and repainted all ready. Water quality is improving and fish are swimming around more now. I watched them for a good while and they are eating just slowly.
Wish I could kick cigs.
Big fish are in larger pond and put in old pond with smaller ones also.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2014
2:32 PM

Post #9780310

few more. 1 is floating isl. home made. 2 is old pond with smaller fish. 3, old smaller pond.4. old pond
5 is plant I can't ID. It's about 2" bloom, red and black with a cupped bottom that holds a little water. I didn't plant it but it showed up and is pretty. I put a piece of white paper behind it hoping it would show up better.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2014
2:39 PM

Post #9780320

Addendum----third pic is cumquat he is 27 inches long and Jeff's pride and joy. 5th pic--
Tried to get a pic of my butterfly with beautiful tail and bright blue eyes. I call her blue eyes. She's primarily white with black spots that have little red spots inside of black spots. Jeff has a straight sided one that is just like her.
Floating isl. planter is primarily sweet flag & 1 brom. I filled it up with only a few rocks on top of sphagnum moss and it tipped right over as soon as it hit the water. Got to get rocks out of pond but plants stayed in cause I wired them to planter.
Hope you can figure the pics out. I'm not much of a photographer.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2014
4:44 PM

Post #9780400

Oh gosh! The black and white butterfly is a dream! Wow! :)
I know the other pond is larger, but I just love your waterfall on the smaller one. I went to Leu Gardens today and just stared at the little stream they had through the woods going down to the lake. It reminded me of that. So serene.
:)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2014
5:46 PM

Post #9780431

Beaufiul Bonnie. Love the pictures and your fish are so gorgeous. Thank you so much.

Keep trying with the cigs - you will get there. I think I quite a thousand times before it finally worked. I do wish my daughter would quit though.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2014
6:49 PM

Post #9780467

MM I had forgotten all about that stream at Leu Gardens. It is beautiful and I love the sound.
Have you been to Kanapaha Gardens in Gainesville. Been there a few times. Once a year they have a sale of many of their plants. They keep adding to it all the time. If you ever want to go I would be glad to drive or go up with you. It's just off 75 on first exit road. Right now I can't think of the name. I have a sewing buddy that lives on same road.

Carolyn, Thanks for your encouragement and compliments. I think that white and black fish is the prettiest one we got as she has a beautiful tail.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2014
8:03 PM

Post #9780508

Bonnie...no I haven't been to that one. I DO want to go to the butterfly exhibit at UF one of these days though, so maybe we can do a 2 part road trip? There's one south of Tampa I went to a few years ago that takes pride in their bromeliads, I just can't remember the name off the top of my head right now. I've also never been to the big botanical garden down by Miami (Fairchilds) nor the Caladium Festival. They're all on my bucket list. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2014
5:06 AM

Post #9780609

M. Mary, I think we work too much and miss out on a lot of beautiful places Fl. has to offer.
Remember the koi show is next weekend at same place. Didn't even know UF had a butterfly exhibit. I don't get around much so a day road trip would be wonderful.
I looked at Fairchilds site once and it's just fantastic. A friend of mine went to Palatka to I think Happy Farms, caladium capitol of the world and came home with 250 bulbs, planted them in a hurry, lost most of them but the few that survived are really beautiful. Can't remember when Caladium Festival is but that would also be a great day trip. I dream a lot.

Sun is shining so time to get out into pool and scrap paint off tile. Tomorrow we are supposed to get a little rain but I usually can work right through it anyhow.

Have a good week and keep a Kanapaha-UF trip in mind.
Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2014
3:16 AM

Post #9781393

When our daughter lived in Pembroke Pines we often took our granddaughter (in her stroller) to Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I loved the tram ride as the guide was very knowledgeable and we learned a lot about the beginnings of the gardens. Our granddaughter is now 18 so you know things have changed a lot. Another favorite place to visit is the Morikami Gardens in Delray Beach, a lot of walking but it is so beautiful. I don 't mind as there are lots of benches for resting.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 4, 2014
4:17 AM

Post #9781425

Bonnie,
You work too much with the pond. Why cant you cover the pond in the fall when the leaves starts to fall?

I have a confession to make. I do not use any chemicals like microbelift. I used them when my pond was new and that was 15 years ago. I also does not test the water often.

Please post picture of the koi show. Tons of people go?

We are covered with 4 inch of snow. I made a big pot of hot n sour soup yesterday for a pot luck mtg but it was cancelled so we brought it to one of my friends house and with grilled marinated skirt steak we had fun. I still have a lot of left overs. Any takers.??? LOL!!!~

Think spring !!!

Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2014
4:35 AM

Post #9781438

I will take it Belle. I love hot and sour soup - one of my favorites.

I would like to see photos of the koi show as well. They have a koi club about 3 hours from me in Rochester. It would be fun to go when they do their tours.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2014
5:13 AM

Post #9781455

Belle, we did net pond but bricked it down and need to put netting on a wood frame so I can just drop it over pond and yet keep it off water. Had to keep pulling some back so fish could eat. Will make improved frame before next year hopefully.
You definitely should test your water at least once in a while. After water changes last week I had ammonia spike so put Amquel in immediately and next day reading was right. Also put in sludge away and summer blend. I like ponds crystal clear. I'm sure it makes the fish happier and healthier too. All the pond clarifiers I have ordered this year are natural which I'm glad for.

Never head of hot and sour soup. Sounds interesting.

Carolyn, I will try to remember to get some pics. Usually we are busy getting to know some of the fish farm owners and breeders. Jeff my son is my driver and he wants to take the big cooler just in case. He made a small hole in it just big enough for the air hose and we plug that into a 12V outlet in back of my SUV so they can have air all the way home. He will take his home and quarantine for couple of weeks. He knows well what can happen bringing new fish home and just putting them right into ponds. I've had enough of that for sure.
The men that were there from Japan had ridiculous prices on their fish and I didn't see anything to get excited about. We missed last year so don't want to miss it again. He will come straight here from work and grab an hours sleep and then go. He works all night at Disney. Got transferred to the jungle cruise so he is going to sneak some fish in there as they all died when the jerks drained the water out completely for cleaning one year. DUH Hopefully I don't buy any fish as my money is going into pool re-do right now.
Hope all your snow goes soon so you can re-open your pond. I know you miss it.
Take care all. Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 5, 2014
6:26 AM

Post #9782252

Bonnie,
Try to order hot n sour soup the next time you go to a decent chinese restaurant. Do not try it in a all you can eat place.

I still have some for today since it is ash Wed , i gave most of it away.

I think I have microbe lift and will use some after water change.

We had 4 inch of snow but the roads are clear. No school for 2 days though.

Think spring!!!!!

Belle
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2014
4:05 PM

Post #9783413

I'll remember that about the soup. I like many Chinese dishes.

Geez the snow seems to be really hanging around this year. We are definitely in spring here.

Are you coming to Fl. to play golf any time around the 12 of April. We are having another roundup at my place.

Sure would be nice to meet you.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2014
5:12 PM

Post #9783463

Goodness me! I certainly hope I can make the round up this year!!!!

I do have some small starts of the Tina water lily for you Bonnie...they're very small seedlings, but very healthy. I've been moving them aside to save, I know you said you wanted some in the past. You can put them in a water bowl on a table until they get really big. They'll bloom on the table once they get going. I don't do anything exciting with them. I just float them in a bowl, and eventually dust and tadpole poop make enough sludge in the bottom of the bowl to make them root and go crazy. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2014
3:16 AM

Post #9783649

Sure hope you can make it MM. Also, hope you are going along with your pond. Couldn't believe it has been almost 2 years since we started digging larger pond. I wish you had all the help I had. Makes a great deal of difference having a piece of equipment also. I love my little Kuby. Has saved my back many times. I'm trying to hire help to scrap tiles on pool but no one will do it so I'm the only fool. I will persist and get it done hopefully before our hot season starts.
Jeff and I are going to fish show today as it's only day he can go. Got the cooler ready in case he buys something. I so enjoy gong with him as he is great company and always sees something funny in anything. Takes aftrer me in that respect.

Got to get my seeds planted for RU. Looked all over for wave petunias but didn't find not one packet. Oh well I bought some other stuff. If there is anything out front you want me to root for you just let me know. After all I know you don't have enough plants now. HaHa
Take care, Bonnie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 7, 2014
3:26 AM

Post #9783658

Bonnie,

It would be nice to meet you too and see your ponds.

We are not golfing in Florida this year. DH and a group of men are going to Atlanta for 4 days . No one is bringing wives.

I need a break from him during spring, give me a chance to do my potting with help. He gives me a hard time hiring all the time. LOL!!! I have someone who will pot the alocasia which i have plenty of.They were all tagged but I might mix different varieties and not bother with tags. Too stressful!!! LOL!!!

It is raining here,high 40's and very windy .!!!

Thinkk spring!!

Belle

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2014
6:50 AM

Post #9783799

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sohappy64/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Bonnie, This person on ebay has flats of them! You can order (they only charge $7 for shipping for us) They are right around the corner from you, but don't allow pick up.
You can have hundreds of them for a small abount of money, and they usually show up around 3-4 inches tall and healthy. Ready to go into bigger pots.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2014
7:13 PM

Post #9785197

Don't have pay pal acct. but maybe Jeff does. Do you know where near me they are. Beautiful and just about what I was looking for.

Thanks much for the info. I'll check about them.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2014
7:34 PM

Post #9785211

Pics from koi show. #4 was quite large. I liked the coloration of the 2 in #5
Bonnie

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2014
7:38 PM

Post #9785214

This one has the water lilies and some smaller fish in tanks.

My dil got some real good pics but they are on facebook and I don't know how to get them here. Sorry

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens      

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2014
6:12 AM

Post #9785384

Those sure are beautiful fish.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2014
6:48 AM

Post #9785427

Bonnie, I think they are off Avalon Rd. Great looking fish at the show! Hoping to make it out there while they close down today. You get good deals when they don't want to pack things back up.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2014
7:04 AM

Post #9785441

Beautiful!

MM - what is the black and white fish in Bonnies' first photo called? He is like a black and white kohaku.

Bonnie - the 4th picture in the first batch - did that fish have red eyes? I have one that looks similar, but he has red eyes. Kind of neat looking.

Looks like you had a great time at the koi show.

Thank you for posting. (Wish we had a koi show here)
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2014
10:26 AM

Post #9785572

Traditional black and white is called shiro utsuri or shiro bekko (depends on if it's white with black color, or the white color shared with black. (sort of like is a zebra white and black, or black and white) That one doesn't have any scales, except for a ridge down it's back, so it would be preluded as doitsu, which came from the world deutsch, meaning origins from germany (like the Pennsylvania Deutsch) The lack or scales or larger altered scales first originated with German breeders.
Kumonryu is a term used specifically for koi that have a white or blueish white background, and black "billowing clouds" floating over the white doitsu skin. The black will migrate across it's body over time, looking like the cloud is moving.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2014
11:34 AM

Post #9785630

Thank you MM. I knew you would know :-)

I haven't seen my fish in months. I believe the last time I saw them was in December, because we have had such a thick layer of that white ice on the pond this year. I have tried to peer into the holes from the deicers and still cannot see anything. I am sure they are all ok, but it would be nice to see them to verify that. They are calling for the possibility of more snow, so I think it still going to be awhile before I see them.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2014
4:42 PM

Post #9785824

The Germans saw an opportunity to make money but I don't hear of them breeding and shipping here like Japan & China. Mary I hope you got to see those Chinese high fin sharks. I think they are cool and they eat algae like crazy. Also inside hotel in atrium tank black, white & red with red dot right on its nose. That's the one Jeff's wife wanted and it was $1,500. I told her I wouldn't put it in my pond and be responsible for it. Don't think I'd ever pay that much for 1 fish. We waited at Black Water Creek tank in atrium for a long time so Jeff could buy a really cute gold fish that was bright red and white and he bought 1 other to but I don't remember what. Kid watching that tank said they have all blue from tiny to 3 feet long at their farm and i could call and make an appoinemtn to look at them. I intend to do just that tomrrow. I think he's full of poop. They don't sell retail that I know of. They are right in Eustis and Jacksonville. Curiosity killed the cat so I'll check it out. Jeff had to call the farm just to get him up to the tank.

Carolyn, Not sure but I think that fish you are talking about had eyes like the color of its body. Can't say I hung over the tanks much and looked them right in the eyes. When we were there many of the show tanks were empty cause exhibitors had not arrived yet. As MM said best day to go is Sun. but by the time I get out of church and drive an hr. to get there lots of them are packed up and ready to leave. I don't blame them some have a really long ride.

I can just picture a news flash from Pa. Women gets head stuck in pond ice checking her fish and needs EMT to get her out. Just kidding Carolyn. A funny picture just flashed in my humorous mind. LOL That is a long time to go without seeing your fish. Think spring!!! This has been a really rough year for snow.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2014
5:15 PM

Post #9785844

I didn't get to the show today, the website said they start closing down at noon, so I just didn't have the time. Oh well.
Bonnie, have you ever gone to PondTastic over by Florida Mall? The little bitty fish are like 3 for 18, and although they're small, they do have a good selection of colors from Blackwater. The larger ones are a bit pricey and I can get some better bargains elsewhere. I also don't need a SINGLE fish, I'm overcrowded as is, and know that spring spawning is right around the corner. Unless I saw one that was amazing, I'm trying to keep my wallet shut, knowing there's so much needing to be done in the back yard. Hubby finally got the remaining siding put on the sunroom today, which was holding up everything else, so I was delighted.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2014
5:57 PM

Post #9785880

BonnieGardens wrote:

Carolyn, Not sure but I think that fish you are talking about had eyes like the color of its body. Can't say I hung over the tanks much and looked them right in the eyes. When we were there many of the show tanks were empty cause exhibitors had not arrived yet. As MM said best day to go is Sun. but by the time I get out of church and drive an hr. to get there lots of them are packed up and ready to leave. I don't blame them some have a really long ride.

I can just picture a news flash from Pa. Women gets head stuck in pond ice checking her fish and needs EMT to get her out. Just kidding Carolyn. A funny picture just flashed in my humorous mind. LOL That is a long time to go without seeing your fish. Think spring!!! This has been a really rough year for snow.

That is funny. I did peer into the holes from the deicer and saw 2 of my fish today. It was good to see them :-)

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2014
4:48 AM

Post #9791273

Yes Mary been to Pondtastic. That's where Blondie, Goldie & Shamoo came from and were about 5" at the time and paid $20. ea. That won't happen again. 2 fish Jeff bought at koi show were from Blackwater. He treated them and now they are in my pond and I don't even know which 2 they are for sure. One I recognized. It's a very shiny type of goldfish and is brilliant red and white. Other one I don't know. Fish Farm (koi acres) in Dunnelin has much better pricing. Good thing we don't get over there very often. I seem to accumulate fish fairly often. My pool is costing me $$$ right now but I want to get it in top condition if possible and my energy holds up. I know your trying to get your fish a forever home built and I hope when you finish you have room for all you have.

Mary don't forget RU April 12. You have yet to make it to one so I'm hoping you make this one.

Carolyn, good thing you have a sense of humor. Just struck me funny. Wish you could pack up and come to RU too as it looks like we are going to have a good one this year.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2014
9:29 AM

Post #9791537

I wish I could too Bonnie.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 21, 2014
10:29 AM

Post #9794640

I think it's time to start a new thread. This one is too looooooooooong!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2014
12:23 PM

Post #9794730

We just started this one! lol We DO tend to talk a lot, but I can start another if you want.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2014
5:27 PM

Post #9795652

Here's the new thread requested! Send us your pics! We LOVE to see ponds, pond problems, pond plants, pond set ups, and fish!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1354035/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 361 Jun 7, 2014 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America