Ponds 2014

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Time to start a new one! Start thinking about what you're going to do with your pond in 2014!

Thumbnail by MerryMary
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Yeah!!!! Huzzah! Huzzah! Here's to ponding in 2014. Thanks so much, Mary. I feel spring is on its way (never mind the -7 on the thermometer). :) very large smile.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I so want a pond, nothing big mind ya, just big enough to hold this pond fixture I purchased several years back. so maybe a 12 x 12 size. LOL

-7 oh Mary I fear we will find you frozen with this just the start of winter....LOL

Jan

Nah, it will warm up soon. Nothing lasts forever.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Oberon, keep that positive attitude and spring will be just around the corner.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. Personally I'm looking forward to slowing down a bit after Christmas.

Me too. But I am looking forward to being in Fairbanks with Damien, Laura, Dorothy and Woody. We are family. Sort of an odd cobbed together mixture but family just the same. Going there for Christmas is the closest to my childhood and early adult life dreams of what a family should be like at Christmas. Just a lot of love, sharing, laughter. So who says dreams cannot come true.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My mom always told me your dreams would keep you going and happy. She was a very wisdom filled lady and I miss her until this day but thank God for such a wonderful childhood.
Oberon you enjoy your family doesn't matter if its blood related or not togetherness is a great blessing and to be greatly appreciated.

OK got to get to work today. We are rejuvenating an old hope chest for 1 of my DIL. She rec'd as a young child from her biological mom whom she has not seen for many years so I'm sure it will be worth our effort and expense. Makes me happy to make someone else happy.
Make sense?
Merry Mary has a wonderful Christmas gift a new grandchild. Maybe she's trying to catch up with me. 4 kids, 14 grands, 13 great grands. Once in a great while they are all home for Christmas even the ones from Cal. It was like a nut house but I sure enjoyed it.
Enjoy all the great fattening foods too. We can garden it off after
Christmas. LOL

Well a lack of time and so very much to do has left me in the state of "I won't let myself be in state"....So, sunroom is almost whole after all the mold rebuilding, a few twinkly Christmas lights cover the abundant flaws. Family from Ohio gets here Saturday, they live on a farm, so are used to muddy boots and dirty jeans, and not going to judge me or my house. AMEN! My favorite time of year is the week before Christmas...the actual day is sort of the let down, but the week leading up to it is magical. Took my 8yr old grandson over to my mother's today (she's 82) and told him we were going to be Thursday Elves. We bought poinsettias and plug in Christmas trees and decorated her porch and sidewalk. She can't hear a thing but somehow heard us at the end of decorating and caught us in the act. I heard him say "oh oh"....ha, there she was! Oh well...I told him the Friday elves must have ratted us out! :)
My fish aren't sure if I should feed them or not. We've been fluctuating between doggone chilly and above normal warm. Who knows....Should be in the 80's tomorrow, after it was just in the 30's in some parts of the state last night.

I know what you mean. The day itself is not really that big a deal. It's the family sharing, laughter, the year after year 'traditions' that surprisingly can grow even later in life.

We got a major dump of snow and the pond is all but unrecognizable. Got to go check to be sure the holes are open and the water is still pumping from the bottom up and out and back in. All the hose and such is well coated with snow so no concern for any super-chilling of the water.

We leave tomorrow for Fairbanks but will of course still be in contact.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

MM what a blessing to have your family come down. We have been setting record highs so hope they brought their shorts and t-shirts. You will have a great time with all of them.

Oberon, Enjoy your trip to Fairbanks and all friends etc.

I'm still cooking for the family with mom that's in hospital with undiagnosed health problem. My son's church (his wife) brought over a complete Christmas dinner for them. His church has handed out 300 such bags all printed with churches name on them. Turkey and everything needed for complete meal along with dessert fixings.
. If the father can't cook it I will. Mom is now in ICU and it doesn't look good. Oldest child is about 9. I have 2 of them in my Sun. school class. 3 all tog. Smallest one is a curly haired blonde and about 2 or 3. Really a beautiful child. Dad has called their old church in Indiana for prayer and I have called the churches I know around here to add her to their prayer list. I would greatly appreciate anyone who reads this taking a min. to pray for their mom whose name is Amy. Dad's job is in N.C but his boss told him to go home and that was his job for now. God bless his boss.
All have a blessed holiday season.
Bonnie

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Praying Bonnie. Hopefully she will turn around soon.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie
I've added Amy to my prayer list. Gosh life is so hard at times. There are many a nights I go to bed and ask the good Lord to come back now. I hate the suffering that goes on.

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

This is the season of miracles so keep on praying.

Jan I look forward to his return also but if he lets us stay here a little longer there is a reason I'm sure.

Bless all on this forum with health, happiness and a blessed
Christmas.

Bonnie

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you, Bonnie and we wish the same to you and yours.
Mittsy

Merry Christmas to all of you. May your year be filled with joy,health, and blessings!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ditto what merrymary said

Jan

Merry Christmas Day to all! 25 below zero does not chill the wishes from the North Pole (almost)

Virginia Beach, VA

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

Carolyn is playing nurse to her post op husband, she also need prayers for patience!!!

We are in Alabama with our 2 grown Children.

Belle

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Dave came home from the hospital on Monday and my inlaws came the following day. We had such a wonderful time with them.

Dave has been getting better each day. I know that it is going to take some time, but he is getting there. He seems to have a good attitude, of which I am very glad.

I went to take out the trash on Christmas Day and found that I had a pond heater die. I have 1 going still, so I going to limp by until tomorrow when I can get to Tractor Supply to get another pond heater. I think I will buy 2 so I have a back up.

How were all of your holidays? MM - you have a lot of family at your house, don't you? I love those type of holidays. My son and my neice both graduate from college this Spring, so we are hoping to have all the Boston people here for a joint graduation party.

Stay warm.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Carolyn

Virginia Beach, VA

Hello All!!
Nice to hear from you Carolyn and glad that your husband is getting better everyday. I t will take a while for full recovery. Does he need to go for cardiac rehab?
I have a pond heater which I purchased few years ago but I had not used it. I do not get very cold here

The 7 day visit to our daughter went fast, we had Christmas eve dinner and just took it easy Christmas day.

We are leaving tomorrow and we are bringing home our 4 year old g-son because they are having a major kitchen renovation and will be very dusty and busy.

I hope you all have a healthy New year.

Belle

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn

I'm so glad to hear the operation part is over with, and thrilled that he is attitude is better. Sometimes when there are serve health issues they cause personality issues, so here to continue improvement for him health and personality for him, which will make life easier for you sweet lady.

Belle to have time with your grandson, how special that will be for you.

Had another job interview today, it went well, so I'm praying I'm called back for another interview. The lady is going to call next Tuesday to let me know either way. Which it would be nice to get the call even if I'm not selected for a second instead of just not knowing.

Jan

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Jan

Praying you get the job.

We have our first coumadin appt today. I am hoping it goes well. I will also pick up that other pond heater while I am out.

Stay warm all.

Bonnie!!
They had a wonderful follow-up story on the news tonight about the man in Winter Springs with the fish in the pool in his front yard. He and his wife were so thankful for the wonderful volunteers that came to help him! Hooray for you and your son!
The pool is now gone, and the money he made is being used for his cancer treatment.

You're the best! :)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hoping DH first dr appt went well for him and YOU....

I took my DH to his first appt with a new Cardiologist for the new area we now live in. We had to drive 40 miles south, but this Dr was so worth it. He has been the first cardiologist to let me know that the mechanical aorta valve that he has wasn't one that was on the recall list. He had is put in before the problems started. HURRAYYYYYYYYYY best news in the world.

I should be hearing from the lady on Tuesday as to whether or not I get a second interview or if she has found someone else. So either way I will know come Tuesday, now just to have the endurance to wait till then.

MerryMary that is so wonderful. Don't ya love it when humans come together for the good of others....

We ate out on the way home and when we got the bill the waitress had only put one meal on it. Called her over to let her know that and she couldn't thank us enough, as if we hadn't she would have been made to pay for the meal. How could someone not tell them? It would weigh on my mind to much to not say something.

Jan

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Jan -

Yesterday we went over to the VA to have his INR tested and apparently DH is quite low. We go back on Monday. We also go to see the PA for the valve and the Electrical part of Cardiology, which is where he started 18 months ago. We will know more then.

Best wishes for your interview. It really strikes me, when myself included, we all complain about work. I may not like my job, but I have a job and I am fortunate in that. I think it is important that we count our blessings. Let us know how it goes on Tuesday.

I just went out and checked my new deicer - I noticed the hole in the ice from the new deicer was much larger than the hole that had been left by the deicer that was failing. Now I am wondering if the difference in the sizes of the hole is because the deicer was failing. I did notice that it is warmer today as well - so I am not positive on the size difference in the deicers.

I am anxious to get out in the garden and sit by the pond. I know I have at least 3 months to go - if it is anything like last spring, the earliest I could get out there was in May. The weather was miserable.

Here's to a better year in 2014 for all of us.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi All,
So glad to hear so many good health reports. Carolyn, will keep DH of yours in my prayers.
Your pond always looks so beautiful.

Oberon have never experienced 25 below yikes!!!! Keep warm. I keep praying for all those who are out of power due to ice on wires etc.

M Mary, glad Mr. Smith got rid of all of his fish and can now concentrate on his health. One of the girls that helped catch with Jeff told him all the ones they got from him died but she was moving and had some she wanted to give him. He didn't take them cause I told him not to bring anymore here.
Well, man he got fish from before ended up with them and called Jeff to see if I wanted long fins cause he doesn't like them. I have to think about that. Don't want to get overloaded again. He doesn't sell fish he just gives them away. I've got 3 that are getting big so they will have to have space in larger pond. Someday Jeff will build a pond at his house and take all of his large ones. He will have to have HOA approval.

Well I have been down at friends ranch for 2 days and Charlie didn't feed fish so I'm sure they will be hungry. Besides I miss seeing them all.

Hope all have a very merry season and Happy New Year.
Bonnie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn

Don't be discourage if it take time to get his INR to the correct level. Some folks its a crazy rollercoaster ride in getting it within range. My DH was down to 2 and that isn't a good range for him, he does better (I can really tell a difference in him too) at 2.5 - 2.8. If he reaches 3 he gets to tried. His is very temperamental and can drive us both nuts. LOL

Your pond is incredible, I would most certainly have a hammock beside it and most likely never leave, other than to go weed or plant to new plants...LOL

Bonnie glad to hear you were having to deal with more fish, well at least until you get the ones you want where you feel they should be...

Jan

Virginia Beach, VA

Carolyn.
I takes time to have the coumadin / INR regulated. Did you ever google the food to avoid?

my husband had been on Coumadin for years and his INR few weeks ago was 2.5 and so he has to skip a dose every wed. He now takes 2.5 mg of coumadin

He is very careful with his veggie intake, he had always eaten salads.

Jan,
I hope you get the job.

Stay warm!!!
Belle

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Belle

we went yesterday to the VA to have his INR checked. It was really low - 1.5, so they upped his dosage to 7.5 mg. They told him to eat normally, although he needs to avoid blueberries and pomegranents. They are going to regulate him to his regular diet, although he needs to be careful of his portion size.

We go back on Monday to be checked. Hopefully the INR will be somewhat higher.

Jan - good luck Tuesday.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Carolyn

I hope the VA drive isn't too far for yall to go, maybe they could just create a shuttle for yall until it levels out....

Jan

Supposed to rain here tomorrow, but I really need to get out and clean pond filters. I've also been neglecting my yard birds, and don't want the cardinals to go elsewhere...I really enjoy them.
It's been a weird winter so far and I still have coleus, canna, and caladium all going fairly strong. Maybe I can get out in the yard this week, and dig a few holes for the pond!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Can't wait for the rain. Funny thing, there was some construction work done, then the sod trucks arrived and laid a HUGE amount of sod in the drainage hole. Well I went to look at it while taking Gracie for a walk. You guessed it, no rain and now it looks brown. Why would you waste all the money on sod and then not figure out some way to water it. Like bring a water truck back for a few weeks????

Jan

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sod sure needs rain Jan. Go figure.
We had a good rain here yesterday for which I was very thankful.
Duranta is till blooming like crazy plus the red cleredendrum. So far we haven't had enough cold to kill anything. I'd better not say too much.

Yes MM my pond filters could use a cleaning but I haven't felt up to much past 3 days. Don't know if its a mild case of the flu but stomach sure is upset. I'm cutting back on solid food and drinking hot tea often. This too shall pass.

Carolyn, still praying for your hubby. How is he doing. Don't understand what INR is but sounds very important. I hope your not in the area of Pa. that has all the snow and power lines down. We haven't had our normal cold weather yet. As MM said weird weather.
Bonnie

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Thank you for your continued prayers, Bonnie. INR are the blood levels with the coumadin. We are still trying to get it adjusted, but it doesn't seem to be the fiasco it was the last time. I am wondering if it is because we are going through the VA this time.

Not in that area of PA, however, they are talking about a possible storm later this week. Probably when I have to go back to work on Thursday. I saw where our high temperature that day is 4 degrees. Makes me cold thinking about it.

I cannot believe tomorrow is New Years Eve. I am hoping I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow. Tonight I take my newest addition to the vets. She is a little 3 month old kitten that Dave got for me, because he felt badly about Christmas. He didn't need to feel badly about Christmas - it was what it was, but I am enjoying the kitten.

I am hoping 2014 is better for all of us.

Carolyn

Here is my strange fish; silvery colored

Thumbnail by Oberon46

It's still a goldfish....the original traits are that silvery gold color, and often come out when you fish have spawned. Traditionally, they are very hardy, occassionally they will change color as they get older. Name him something fancy like Maximus Sparticus!

lol. You mean odds are that he may stay that color. We think he is very pretty but couldn't figure out where he came from. Thanks Mary

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Carolyn,
Glad Dave is progressing. He has a wonderful nurse and that helps. I'll keep praying.
I've been watching weather up north and it makes me shiver plus feel sorry for all those without power in that severe cold. Hunker down and keep warm. Enjoy your kitten. Animals have a way of soothing our souls cause they give unconditional love.

Oberon,
Your fish is very pretty. Sparticus wore silver colored armor and I'm sure that's what M. Mary was thinking of. Very appropriate name. It's wonderful to have good imagination. I take it these are fish that you tanked to save for putting in your pond come spring.

Well we finally are getting some cooler weather. Got up this morning, ran out to check Hawaii sunset vine and it looks ok but I think tonight I'll bring it in. It went down to 42 and very windy.
I won't complain considering what up north has. BRRRRRR

Yes I took ten babies from the pond. They are all healthy and range from white to orange with everything inbetween.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Bonnie - thank you so much. The prayers mean a lot. We are getting there slowly. He was trying to help me get the snow blower started yesterday and hurt himself. The thing is that the snowblower has an electric start, so he did that pushing the plug on to the snowblower. It did go on hard, but I still was kind of surprised. I think it will take awhile. He went to the store with me today, so did do some walking.

Love the kitten. We have decided to name her Cinder. All of my family have always been partial to black cats. I have had them since I was a kid.

Oberon - I think it is great that you brought in some fish to put into the pond in the spring. It must be fun to have them in the house too. I always had fish tanks when I was a kid. Loved them - especially at night with the aquarium lights on and all the other lights off. I could watch them for hours like that.

I am looking forward to watching some of the videos and dvds' that Dave has made me over the years of my pond. I am really missing it.

Stay warm everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.