Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
popper1
Mulberry, FL

December 28, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9735587

I have some rare tropical Passiflora seeds I want to sow. I was wondering if it is best to lightly scarify the seeds and soak in warm water a day or sow before sowing? Any other advice would be great, I want to do everything possible to make sure they germinate.

Thanks all
David

This message was edited Dec 28, 2013 8:34 AM

Txtea

Txtea
Fabens, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2013
5:57 PM

Post #9736025

David, I am no expert but this year I grew 3 out of 5 seeds with Dr. Deno method. I did three more seeds soaking in orange juice, I read some where the acid helped them not so for me. But good luck to you such a beautiful plant. I am new to these this year but have 4 different ones blooming now in my small greenhouse.
popper1
Mulberry, FL

December 29, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9736209

Where can I see What Dr. Deno mentioned?

David
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9736233

I don't normally answer a question with a google search link, but there are more links than what I want to explore and copy right now
[HYPERLINK@www.google.com]
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2013
8:20 PM

Post #9736579

I've been using the Deno method for quite a while now with great success. Of the Google choices in the link above, the most thorough explanation is in the free download of Dr Deno's books. My favorite source and the best one to learn from IMO is Seedsite.co.uk, which also has lots of other seed and germination information. The quickest is BBB Super Easy baggie Method, which gives a brief, detailed how-to, but unfortunately names specific brands, really ridiculous. Any will do.

One important tip: Don't write directly on the paper towel, it will be illegible in no time. Use a separate label. I use cut-up mini-blinds and pencil. And there's more than one way to fold a paper towel, lol.

Good luck!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2014
4:20 PM

Post #9743467

I read somewhere that soaking passiflora seeds for 10-20 mins in white vinegar prior to sowing will help to cause them to germinate by removing the germination inhibitors.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2014
12:59 PM

Post #9745436

That is interesting about the white vinegar, wonder if it would work on other harder to germinate seeds... Thanks buttoneer for sharing.

Jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America