Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dantor19
ASTORIA, NY

December 28, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9735781

I just signed a lease, and before moving in, I swung by to do some cleaning. While there, I found a fast moving, seemingly wingless bug, about a quarter to a half inch long with six legs. I am concerned that it could be bedbugs, as the apartment directly 2 stories above me have filed a bed bug complaint as of February of this year. Its a prewar elevator building with hardwood floors in the apartment and poorly sealed hot water pipes running through the floor and ceiling in multiple locations. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by dantor19   Thumbnail by dantor19
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

December 28, 2013
10:08 AM

Post #9735785

This appears to be a nymph of a German cockroach, see http://www.magicexterminating.com/pests/German-Cockroach-121.asp
Achieving complete control of these cockroaches in an apartment complex can be difficult, as it requires complete cooperation by all tenants as well as management.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9736386

yes -
seal those pipes. prevent them entering as much as possible.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9736410

I own rental property and have been left with German roach problems (and the resulting clean up) on more than one occasion. Not apartments, but detached, executive level, rental. As a landlord I've learned folks have variable (and often mysterious to me) life style habits regardless of income and education.

My best solution has been to place roach bait "hotels" under every sink base, throughout basement spaces near plumbing pipes and HVAC access and around vent stacks in the attics. Also place them in closets and discrete corners, by entrances from garage to house, behind refrigerators and stoves and under dishwashers. It seems to work quickly without spraying chemicals about. I date the "hotels" with a pen on the back. They are supposed to be changed on a schedule. If you rattle the "hotel' when it is new it won't make noise because it's full of bait. If it rattles a few weeks or months later there is still bait. If the bait is gone there is no noise again and if you have roaches they will be eating the bait. If there is a rattle, I leave the old ones and put down fresh ones. I ask the tenants to keep up with this routine. My properties are inspected at least twice a year. If the tenant does not keep up with the routine I have fresh "hotels" on hand. It's small price to pay if you've ever had to spend days with a mask, dustpan and brush cleaning up droppings and disinfecting spaces.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America