Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: clumps of seedlings

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 4, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

December 29, 2013
9:51 AM

Post #9736271

I am about to begin Winter Sowing for 2014 and hope to plants seeds so the seedlings don't come up in clumps and are too hard to divide and transplant. Zone 5 here...it's a long way until Spring!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2014
6:59 AM

Post #9742340

Yes it is , what all are you planting ,
Mine, as on another thread ,are under a foot of snow , indoors I have an Amaryllis seed that has a root , no sprout yet though.
Can't keep or get an interested gardener down ,, lol , their (we) are always about something to do with plants ..
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

January 7, 2014
10:45 AM

Post #9742496

Thanks JUHUR7, I re-read a winter sowing page and it said if seeds germinate and come up in clumps, it's okay... when transplanting just separate the clumps into smaller clumps and nature will sort them out. Maybe this year I could try to sow more sparingly and carefully..
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 8, 2014
9:18 PM

Post #9743641

Sometimes small clumps of seedlings might save time in a busy season.
Then separate further when not so busy.
Caroline

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2014
5:40 AM

Post #9743733

AnnFran -- while reading some comments on winter sewing, you may see " HOS " that's Hunk of Seedlings or Chia Pet, pretty much the same thing.

I've done a milk jug, where it looks like a Chia... and I will just divide that into 4 smaller hunks of seedlings and plunk them in the ground.

case in point -- I've started using smaller containers... I'll use a lot of Qt sized, like Half & Half or Kefir containers... then I'll just take the entire 'hunk' and pop it in the ground.

we all find our own way of doing things... as mentioned, mostly trial -n- error ...

Good luck and have fun... winter sowing is totally addicting.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America