Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Help! Is this a brown recluse?!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bkm2891
Omaha, NE

January 7, 2014
9:02 PM

Post #9742974

We are moving soon and our moving company recently brought us used boxes to use (the boxes could be from anywhere, but we live in the midwest.) Well, I found this guy tonight, and I'm worried it is a brown recluse. I'm thinking it could have been hiding in the large stack of boxes. And worried there might be more! These photos are taken from my phone, so they're not perfect, but wanted to snap a picture before I got rid of the spider. Thank you for your help!

Thumbnail by Bkm2891   Thumbnail by Bkm2891   Thumbnail by Bkm2891   Thumbnail by Bkm2891
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

January 8, 2014
3:18 AM

Post #9743038

Most definitely NOT a recluse; it appears to be a prowling spider in the family Miturgidae - http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/143704360
These spiders can give a painful (but not dangerous) bite if mishandled.
Bkm2891
Omaha, NE

January 8, 2014
4:01 AM

Post #9743055

Oh my goodness. I cannot thank you enough for your fast reply! I hardly slept thinking about my children's safety, and that our house may possibly be infested with dangerous spiders. The picture you've referenced does look like a match when comparing photos.

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much again!
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

January 8, 2014
5:27 AM

Post #9743102

You're quite welcome, and remember, recluse spiders are called that for a reason - you seldom see them wandering about in the open...
Bkm2891
Omaha, NE

January 9, 2014
8:47 AM

Post #9743874

That makes complete and total sense, I had just convinced myself it was a possibility since we had recently emptied out and gone through all of our under-the-stairs storage area that is usually untouched (great place for a recluse to hide, I would guess!) and also the boxes from the moving company had probably been sitting quietly in a warehouse for a good while, and they were just introduced into our home a couple days prior. I had thought maybe the spider was en route to its new hiding place. :) But thank goodness you identified that spider for me!!! I can rest easy! Thank you again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America