Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: how to prune OLD and woody LEMON VERBENA

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 1, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
motherofpearl
Eureka, CA

January 9, 2014
4:53 PM

Post #9744133

I have recently inherited a garden with several very old lemon verbena plants. they are currently dormant of course, but they have also been hit very hard with the latest freeze. i don't plan on pruning for several months, as i know another frost could do further damage, but what is the best way to prune it when i'm ready?
it is getting leggy and unsightly. i will try to upload a picture next time i'm online.
i mean will i be able to cut it back real hard or down to the ground? can i cut into old wood? some say i can, others say i can't. i'm sooo confused!
thanks for any advice!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2014
7:16 PM

Post #9744968

Lemon verbena are never very dense, even with the most careful pruning.
The conservative answer to 'how to prune' would be to prune just the damaged or most awkward growth, leaving at least 3/4 of the plant to regrow.
I would be a bit more aggressive than this, and willingly remove up to 50% of the plant, including one or two cuts as low as 6-12" from the ground. In the summer assess where the new growth has come from and you can do more pruning then.
If you get good recovery from cutting into old growth then plan a rejuvenation over several years, perhaps cutting 1/3 of the older branches each year until the plants are more like what you are looking for. You would not be cutting the whole plant down at any one time, but each year you would be removing the oldest material.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America