stratification of Sweet Charlie Strawberry seeds

Tonopah, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hello,
I am looking for input and information on the Stratification of Strawberry seeds (Sweet Charlie's to be exact)

the directions that came with them in the cellophane bag from rngardens @ Amazon simply told how to do everything but the final step ... do you ZIP UP the bag after completing the necessary steps .. or simply put into the refrigerator for the 4 - 6 weeks with the bag open or slightly open?

I would think you zip it up to retain the moisture .. but on the other hand I am afraid it will mold if all the moisture is sealed in and no air gets to it for that long a period.

Any advice from experience will be appreciated.

Thanks Autumn16

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Yes, zip it up. The baggie actually does allow some oxygen through so the seeds don't suffocate. I've left things in the fridge for up to a couple of months, no problem.

My new trick this year is to soak the seeds in hand hot water for 24 hours, then freeze them for 24 hours in a dampened paper towel in the baggie. Lupines started sprouting in just a few days at room temp, instead of 6 weeks in the fridge.

Good luck!

Pam

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Pam, do the lupines need to cold sat? I used the last of my seeds a few months back not even thinking about that and now since they never sprouted I'm guessing it was for the lack of the cold sat.

Jan

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I thnk so, for me that's what has worked, I've been very successful. But come over to the seed starting thread and ask there. WWKathy never stratifies, and she gets great results. I think she keeps her house pretty cool, that may be a factor. I don't know if she does Lupines, though.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ok will be over looking

Calgary, Canada

The Strawberry Seed Store recommends freezing strawberry seeds (achenes)
for 3 or 4 weeks to condition them for germination. Placing them in a freezer as soon as they come will have them ready for spring.
Caroline

Tonopah, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow!! Great, thanks to all of you . I appreciate it.

now I need to go find the seed starting thread ...??? Thanks again.

Tonopah, AZ(Zone 9b)

DUH!! I found it, lol

Tonopah, AZ(Zone 9b)

DUH!! I found it ... lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.