Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: stratification of Sweet Charlie Strawberry seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 8, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Autumn16
Tonopah, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2014
10:19 AM

Post #9749921

Hello,
I am looking for input and information on the Stratification of Strawberry seeds (Sweet Charlie's to be exact)

the directions that came with them in the cellophane bag from rngardens @ Amazon simply told how to do everything but the final step ... do you ZIP UP the bag after completing the necessary steps .. or simply put into the refrigerator for the 4 - 6 weeks with the bag open or slightly open?

I would think you zip it up to retain the moisture .. but on the other hand I am afraid it will mold if all the moisture is sealed in and no air gets to it for that long a period.

Any advice from experience will be appreciated.

Thanks Autumn16

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2014
8:06 AM

Post #9750487

Yes, zip it up. The baggie actually does allow some oxygen through so the seeds don't suffocate. I've left things in the fridge for up to a couple of months, no problem.

My new trick this year is to soak the seeds in hand hot water for 24 hours, then freeze them for 24 hours in a dampened paper towel in the baggie. Lupines started sprouting in just a few days at room temp, instead of 6 weeks in the fridge.

Good luck!

Pam

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2014
5:20 PM

Post #9751479

Pam, do the lupines need to cold sat? I used the last of my seeds a few months back not even thinking about that and now since they never sprouted I'm guessing it was for the lack of the cold sat.

Jan
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2014
7:00 PM

Post #9751539

I thnk so, for me that's what has worked, I've been very successful. But come over to the seed starting thread and ask there. WWKathy never stratifies, and she gets great results. I think she keeps her house pretty cool, that may be a factor. I don't know if she does Lupines, though.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2014
9:02 PM

Post #9751598

ok will be over looking
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

January 20, 2014
8:50 AM

Post #9751880

The Strawberry Seed Store recommends freezing strawberry seeds (achenes)
for 3 or 4 weeks to condition them for germination. Placing them in a freezer as soon as they come will have them ready for spring.
Caroline
Autumn16
Tonopah, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2014
8:29 PM

Post #9753837

Wow!! Great, thanks to all of you . I appreciate it.

now I need to go find the seed starting thread ...??? Thanks again.
Autumn16
Tonopah, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2014
8:30 PM

Post #9753838

DUH!! I found it, lol
Autumn16
Tonopah, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2014
8:31 PM

Post #9753840

DUH!! I found it ... lol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America